Crosby 1 assist in 4 games

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I heard somewhere that this is the first time Crosby got swept, but I could have sworn that the bruins did it to him too a few years ago.

Maybe that's just my memory failing me, though.
nah Bruins did it in 2013. Coaching mastermind Dan Bylsma decided to 1) play Jarome Iginla on left wing 2) refuse to make any coaching adjustments and stick to his stupid f***ing stretch pass and 3) play Tanner Glass and Craig Adams.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
So his early round numbers against the #1 and #2 defensive teams in the league in 2107 should be given less importance?

Who do you think is the #5 player?

Do you really want to bring up the first round in 2017 against CBJ when he got destroyed by first Dubinskys line and then Karlssons line? He had one fairly good game, he was one of the worst on the ice for the rest of the series. Ill give you that he was the best player on the ice against Capitals though.

Reactions: mikeyp24

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Do you really want to bring up the first round in 2017 against CBJ when he got destroyed by first Dubinskys line and then Karlssons line? He had one fairly good game, he was one of the worst on the ice for the rest of the series. Ill give you that he was the best player on the ice against Capitals though.
He only had 1 game that series where he had a couple assists I think it was and people were like oooohhh you are shutting him down huh cbj fans elohel look at the box score but it was like secondary assists and nonconsequential. Outside of MAF standing on his head while Murray was out with a concussion the CBJ likely win that series. They beat them in every catagory except goals. Only 1 game that whole series did we legit lose on the ice and stats. The series ended for us when Werenski had his orbital bone and eye socket crushed and blood everywhere and refs refused to stop play and let play go on 10 seconds with blood filling the ice before the pens basically scored a Pp goal. The refs then that same game or next game immediately blew the whistle when a pens playsler was hit in the back of the head with a puck andnpart if the helmet broke... not his entire orbital bone and that quick whistle showed how that seeies was on schedule of being decided .

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Ah, I see. So we should look past the stats in the 2017 CBJ series to critique his performance but take the stats at face value against the Islanders.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Or look at his Final's #'s.

25 GP 4 G 15 A 19 P = .76 ppg.

Not terrible but no where near his early round numbers, and not becoming of someone who some claim is a top 5 all time player.

It's actually 4+16=20 and that point total is tied with Gretzky and Hossa for the highest total in SCF since 1987-88 season so in the past 30+ years.

Also I should probably point out that Gordie Howe, consensus top-5 player of all-time, is also sub-PPG in the SCF. And Jean Beliveau, the one player who has widely been regarded as the player Crosby needs to beat to claim that 5th spot, is also sub-PPG in the SCF. Crosby's PPG in the SCF in practically identical with the likes of Maurice Richard and Mark Messier, two other all-time greats, whom many consider as top-10 forwards of all-time. Both of these are considered as superb playoff performers, winners in every definition of the word.

It's easy to throw out Crosby's stat totals and claim that they don't fit a status of someone who should be considered as top-5 player of all-time when not even looking at stats of other players Crosby competes for that claim.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Ah, I see. So we should look past the stats in the 2017 CBJ series to critique his performance but take the stats at face value against the Islanders.

You could start by watching the games. Probably a new concept for you Daver.

And yes, you should look past stats but the eye-test didnt favour anyone on the Penguins roster.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
He only had 1 game that series where he had a couple assists I think it was and people were like oooohhh you are shutting him down huh cbj fans elohel look at the box score but it was like secondary assists and nonconsequential. Outside of MAF standing on his head while Murray was out with a concussion the CBJ likely win that series. They beat them in every catagory except goals. Only 1 game that whole series did we legit lose on the ice and stats. The series ended for us when Werenski had his orbital bone and eye socket crushed and blood everywhere and refs refused to stop play and let play go on 10 seconds with blood filling the ice before the pens basically scored a Pp goal. The refs then that same game or next game immediately blew the whistle when a pens playsler was hit in the back of the head with a puck andnpart if the helmet broke... not his entire orbital bone and that quick whistle showed how that seeies was on schedule of being decided .

It's hard to call a series that was over in 5 games close.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Why bother to watch the games when you can just see it was 5 in the box score and assume it was dominant.

Um, I'm a Penguins fan. I obviously watched the games. I get why you're invested in thinking the series was close, but it really wasn't.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Ya but when Pens sucked in RS Crosby carried them, why he can't in playoffs?

The only Penguin who could create any zone penetration, on the only line that could create any zone time. 1 assist but also hit two posts. The Pens only scored 6 goals :help:

Lehner’s SP:

.932 on 44 shots

.970 on 33 shots

.962 on 26 shots

.970 on 33 shots

Bad puck luck happens. Goalies get ridiculously hot.

That pretty much sums it up.

Reactions: Dominance

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Um, I'm a Penguins fan. I obviously watched the games. I get why you're invested in thinking the series was close, but it really wasn't.
That series likely goes the CBJ way if the whistle is blown on the Werenski headshot. I dont need a pens fan to humble themselves about a series 2 years back they have other things humbling them atm.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
You could start by watching the games. Probably a new concept for you Daver.

And yes, you should look past stats but the eye-test didnt favour anyone on the Penguins roster.

Really? The consensus here seems to be that Crosby deserved more than 1 point so you need to watch the games closer yourself.

Or maybe, just maybe, we let the stats speak for themselves as we have almost 1100 games played to establish that Crosby is the clear best per game producer in the regular season and the playoffs. Unless you think that Crosby has magically been able to produce all these years despite being outplayed by his competition.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Threads like these are microcosms for humanity's inevitable failure.

Anonymous people acting like children and reveling in sensationalised nonsense.

Every great player has a bad series or even a few.

It's true of literally every all time great. Past or present.

Just be thankful we get to see players of this caliber on a regular basis.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Really? The consensus here seems to be that Crosby deserved more than 1 point so you need to watch the games closer yourself.

Or maybe, just maybe, we let the stats speak for themselves as we have almost 1100 games played to establish that Crosby is the clear best per game producer in the regular season and the playoffs. Unless you think that Crosby has magically been able to produce all these years despite being outplayed by his competition.

Everytime you write you answer to something else. I simply state that he was bad against CBJ, and bad again against Islanders. Im not talking about his legacy blablabla, im just saying he was bad against CBJ 2017 and against Islanders 2019, nothing more nothing less. To not listen to what other people say, or process what theyve said and simply talk on about the same thing over and over is often called autism.

How anyone can think he had a good series against Islanders is beyond me. Not one Penguin player did.

And btw, in this post above, have you made up your mind about stats vs eye-test? First you state that the eye-test supported Crosby and he deserved more points, then you talk about how we should ignore the eye-test and let the stats talk for themselves.

So what is it? Should I think he was bad (just as every other Penguin) because he didnt produce, or should I statwatch and think he was bad since he only got 1 point?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Everytime you write you answer to something else. I simply state that he was bad against CBJ, and bad again against Islanders. Im not talking about his legacy blablabla, im just saying he was bad against CBJ 2017 and against Islanders 2019, nothing more nothing less. To not listen to what other people say, or process what theyve said and simply talk on about the same thing over and over is often called autism.

How anyone can think he had a good series against Islanders is beyond me. Not one Penguin player did.

And btw, in this post above, have you made up your mind about stats vs eye-test? First you state that the eye-test supported Crosby and he deserved more points, then you talk about how we should ignore the eye-test and let the stats talk for themselves.

So what is it? Should I think he was bad (just as every other Penguin) because he didnt produce, or should I statwatch and think he was bad since he only got 1 point?

How anyone you can think he was bad against the Blue jackets is beyond me. All the Pens had good series.

I am sure you would be the last to admit that Crosby had some series where he played well but didn't get the points while happily pointing out that there are some series where he didn't deserve the praise because of weak competition.

He does not have a weakness on his playoff resume as much as some would like to position it. He has been great in all the Pens' four Cup runs and outplayed Malkin in three of those including three of their four SCFs.

Last edited:

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
Inject this thread in my veins.

Compare bitch boy’s performance to Ovi’s - dominating both as a physical presence and on the score sheet.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Why are you so adamant on stating he was bad against CBJ 2 years ago? I dont think i watched much of the series but i remember watching all the highlights and im pretty sure he was involved in many critical goals. Either tying goals, winning goals or momentum changers and it felt like even moreso than Malkin even though Malkin had more overall points. Many big plays. Also - 7 points in 5 games isnt bad.

Crosby wasnt good against NYI. I think what some Pens fans have said is that he played better than the scoreboard indicates - some even suggested he was their best player. Not sure how true or not that is as i didnt get to watch enough of the games. But i dont think anyone is saying he was actually good - just that he wasnt as bad as some suggest

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
How anyone you can think he was bad against the Blue jackets is beyond me. All the Pens had good series.

I am sure you would be the last to admit that Crosby had some series where he played well but didn't get the points while happily pointing out that there are some series where he didn't deserve the praise because of weak competition.

He does not have a weakness on his playoff resume as much as some would like to position it. He has been great in all the Pens' four Cup runs and outplayed Malkin in three of those including three of their four SCFs.

How is that relevant to this topic?

Yet again you answer to questions never asked, or topic never brought up. Im sorry for picking on you if you infact are mentally disabled.

And you clearly didnt see the CBJ games if you think Crosby did good. For example he was a minus player in 4 out of 5 games, in a 4-1 victory.

Ive posted plenty of positive things about Crosby, but you neglect to read it - because that is what you do.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Why are you so adamant on stating he was bad against CBJ 2 years ago? I dont think i watched much of the series but i remember watching all the highlights and im pretty sure he was involved in many critical goals. Either tying goals, winning goals or momentum changers and it felt like even moreso than Malkin even though Malkin had more overall points. Many big plays. Also - 7 points in 5 games isnt bad.

Crosby wasnt good against NYI. I think what some Pens fans have said is that he played better than the scoreboard indicates - some even suggested he was their best player. Not sure how true or not that is as i didnt get to watch enough of the games. But i dont think anyone is saying he was actually good - just that he wasnt as bad as some suggest

And this is what Daver does. He swings a debate to something irrelevant. I only stated that he was bad, not how bad or if someone else was worse. I did include that all Penguins players did bad though.

And watch the statline again against CBJ. Im talking about eye-test, but the numbers supported my claim. Its strange that you think he was better than Malkin. Malkin was +7, Crosby was -2. Crosby was a minus player every game except 1, Malkin was a plus player all games except 1 where he was +/- 0. Crosby first played against dubinsky but was demolished and they switched so Karlsson played him, demolished again. Malkin had 11 points, Crosby had 7. Crosby was Terrible - the end. That doesnt mean I think he was terrible for the entire playoffs, I think he was great after the first round. But thats something ive seen plenty of times and no one ever reads that part. Especially Daver ofc.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
It never ceases to amaze me how many people seem to get off on trying to tear down great players. Regardless of whatever nonsense people in this thread try to throw out Crosby has been pretty much the consensus best player in the NHL for over a decade. Not scoring in 4 games against a goalie posting a .956 save percentage does nothing to diminish his career.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
And this is what Daver does. He swings a debate to something irrelevant. I only stated that he was bad, not how bad or if someone else was worse. I did include that all Penguins players did bad though.

And watch the statline again against CBJ. Im talking about eye-test, but the numbers supported my claim. Its strange that you think he was better than Malkin. Malkin was +7, Crosby was -2. Crosby was a minus player every game except 1, Malkin was a plus player all games except 1 where he was +/- 0. Crosby first played against dubinsky but was demolished and they switched so Karlsson played him, demolished again. Malkin had 11 points, Crosby had 7. Crosby was Terrible - the end. That doesnt mean I think he was terrible for the entire playoffs, I think he was great after the first round. But thats something ive seen plenty of times and no one ever reads that part. Especially Daver ofc.

You accuse a poster of twisting words and you do exactly the same. How did I say Crosby was better than Malkin against Columbus? I said I seem to recall him being involved in many critical momentum changing goals, and it felt even moreso than Malkin was.

That doesn't mean Malkin didn't have the better overall series.
I'm also not even stating as a fact that Crosby was involved in more momentum changing goals than Malkin - but that's how I remember it at the time based on game highlights, so not 100% sure.

How is "Crosby had 7 points - Crosby was terrible - the end" supposed to be a rational statement?

You make no sense lol.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It never ceases to amaze me how many people seem to get off on trying to tear down great players. Regardless of whatever nonsense people in this thread try to throw out Crosby has been pretty much the consensus best player in the NHL for over a decade. Not scoring in 4 games against a goalie posting a .956 save percentage does nothing to diminish his career.
Not exactly limited to hockey either. The same happened to Messi and Ronaldo in soccer, even earlier in their careers. We should all cherish having a Crosby or Ovechkin in the league. They are a treat to watch, and will likely end up as some of the best players of all time. Crosby somewhere in the top 10 for forwards, and Ovechkin is in my opinion the best goalscorer in the history of the sport. It's been a privilege watching it happen, and I feel sorry for those that ruin that for themselves for paltry reasons.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad