Crosby 1 assist in 4 games

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
From what I saw of that series, he didn't look bad. He looked better than his stats.

With that said, he didn't look great, either. He wasn't at his best and the Islanders did a good job defensively against his line and Lehner was great in net.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Crosby would lead the league in scoring in the 80s every year by a landslide.

80s hockey was played at beer league speed and the goalies were a joke. Not impressive what top tier players did back then. The average competion was horrible.

2nd,3rd and 4th line players today are worlds better today than in the 80s where your average 3rd liner was a car mechanic.

Also Crosby has lead the NHL in ppg 6 times in a much harder era. Hes the goat. Only health held him back from winning 6 straight art rosses.
Dropping today's stars into another time with the same equipment as the era might show you how good the 80's guys really were. Skates, sticks, the physicality-all much different than today. Outscoring Gretzky, Bossy, et al would not be child's play for any of the three guys you mentioned.
GOAT-have you never heard of the Big 4?

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Your exact words.

"Secondary Sid is secondary Sid because he has benefitted more from secondary assists than any other player in the history of the game. While not getting the most secondary assists, Sidney Crosby is the only player in the history of the game where people will claim he is the best player of his generation by virtue of secondary assists." -Midnight Judges​

And when someone disagrees with those idiotic articles... mostly because they have a brain capable of independent thought.

"It is obvious you haven't read them, and if you did, you didn't comprehend them." -Midnight Judges​

Exactly the same nonsense you spew every time. Ironic considering that you accuse others of providing no stats and that they only hurl insults. Hypocrisy much?

And then a few posts later this...

"That's cool, we can leave out secondary assists and just look at the primary points PPG where Crosby has been top-10 all-time producer throughout his career. Well until this season when McDavid has jumped ahead of him and dropped Crosby to 11th spot. If we leave out the old timers from early days of NHL (Lalonde, Malone, Cameron and Denneny) by inserting some qualification of number of primary points (to say minimum of 400 career primary points), Crosby is 7th all-time in PPG behind only Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy, Dionne, Esposito and McDavid (with McDavid also falling off for the time being with that 400 point minimum). Crosby's primary points PPG is higher than Ovechkin's. How's that for someone only benefitting from secondary assists and by virtue of that has been getting underserved praise?" -Vujtek​

It seems like this comment from you...

"Secondary Sid is secondary Sid because he has benefitted more from secondary assists than any other player in the history of the game." -Midnight Judges

...and this one in response to you...

"Crosby is 7th all-time in PPG behind only Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy, Dionne, Esposito and McDavid (with McDavid also falling off for the time being with that 400 point minimum). Crosby's primary points PPG is higher than Ovechkin's." -Vujtek
...might disagree a little, no?

And here are some more ACTUAL STATS DEBUNKING your trolling drivel for the 1000th time.

Primary assists (Secondary)-
  1. Connor McDavid - 54 (16)
  2. Nikita Kucherov - 51 (32)
  3. Mitch Marner - 49 (16)
  4. Blake Wheeler - 46 (22)
  5. Sidney Crosby - 46 (15)
  6. Jonathan Huberdeau - 38 (21)
  7. Artemi Panarin - 38 (14)
  8. Brent Burns - 37 (27)
  9. Patrick Kane - 36 (25)
  10. Claude Giroux - 36 (24)
  11. Steven Stamkos - 36 (16)

Secondary assists (Primary)-
  1. Nikita Kucherov - 32 (51)
  2. Mark Giordano - 32 (24)
  3. Brent Burns - 27 (37)
  4. Brad Marchand - 26 (34)
  5. Patrick Kane - 25 (36)
  6. Morgan Rielly - 25 (25)
  7. Ryan Suter - 25 (14)
  8. Thomas Chabot - 25 (12)
  9. Claude Giroux - 24 (36)
  10. Nathan MacKinnon - 24 (31)
  11. Elias Lindholm - 24 (26)
  12. Jacob Trouba - 24 (14)

Primary assists at even strength:

1. Marner 38
2. McDavid 33
3. Crosby 33
4. Kucherov 32
5. Panarin 30
6. Giroux 29
7. Huberdeau 29
Fully debunked.

We're only left with 3 possibilities.
  1. You're a liar.
  2. You're NOT able to comprehend.
  3. You're a troll.

My money is on door number 3. It explains why you start arguments and disappear when the facts show up.

Anything else?

giphy.gif

Show me where I ever said "Sidney Crosby only gets secondary assists." That is your assertion.

Do you now concede that it was false?

All of the statements I made that you bolded are precisely correct. None of that cherry-picked data remotely debunks anything I've said. (cherry-picked because people want to use 2018-19 as a basis for sweeping generalizations over a 14 season career about Secondary Sid's reliance on secondary assists. Of course, this is completely unnecessary unless someone desires to hide the truth - the full data for all 14 seasons is readily available. Also cherry-picked because it isn't equitable to compare strictly PPG for a player who just turned 31 to a bunch of players who played through their late 30's. I thought that was fairly obvious to everyone. Do you not comprehend this rationale?)

Last edited:

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
Show me where I ever said "Sidney Crosby only gets secondary assists." That is your assertion.

Do you now concede that it was false?

All of the statements I made that you bolded are precisely correct. None of that cherry-picked data remotely debunks anything I've said. (cherry-picked because people want to use 2018-19 as a basis for sweeping generalizations over a 14 season career about Secondary Sid's reliance on secondary assists. Of course, this is completely unnecessary unless someone desires to hide the truth - the full data for all 14 seasons is readily available. Also cherry-picked because it isn't equitable to compare strictly PPG for a player who just turned 31 to a bunch of players who played through their late 30's. I thought that was fairly obvious to everyone. Do you not comprehend this rationale?)

You are hopeless.

Reactions: Tweed and Beauner

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Yeah obviously.

For his playoff career he has:

164 Games 66 Goals 120 Assists 186 points

Good for 10th best to ever play the game.

The 9 ahead of him who almost all benefited from playing in higher scoring eras.

But you're right.

He only did that while up 5-1 against the Flyers.
Impressive numbers to be sure but he rang up humongous bar tabs vs Philly and Ottawa.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
This year he chose regular season over playoffs, seems he can't do both at a top tier level anymore.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Impressive numbers to be sure but he rang up humongous bar tabs vs Philly and Ottawa.

Yep he tears it up when he is facing Elliot, Bryzgalov, Bobrovsky, etc. who have all been terrible in their playoff careers but when he faces strong playoff goaltenders like Rask, Lundqvist, Lehner, Osgood etc. his numbers are terrible.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yep he tears it up when he is facing Elliot, Bryzgalov, Bobrovsky, etc. who have all been terrible in their playoff careers but when he faces strong playoff goaltenders like Rask, Lundqvist, Lehner, Osgood etc. his numbers are terrible.

Lol at you citing Lundqvist when Sid has beaten him twice. And Osgood when Sid has beaten him. And maybe Bobrovsky's numbers are bad in the playoffs because of Sid and the Pens. Just a thought.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Lol at you citing Lundqvist when Sid has beaten him twice. And Osgood when Sid has beaten him. And maybe Bobrovsky's numbers are bad in the playoffs because of Sid and the Pens. Just a thought.

Sid is not a team. I'm not sure if you understand that.

Post his stats against Osgood in the playoffs, they're not pretty.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Sid is not a team. I'm not sure if you understand that.

Post his stats against Osgood in the playoffs, they're not pretty.

And I'm not sure you understand small sample sizes, or that he was up against a prime Lidstrom and Zetterberg the entire series.

But please keep beating the drum that the best playoff player of this generation only feasts on bad goaltending.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
And I'm not sure you understand small sample sizes, or that he was up against a prime Lidstrom and Zetterberg the entire series.

But please keep beating the drum that the best playoff player of this generation only feasts on bad goaltending.
Would be interesting to see those stats. See if the best playoff performer of the generation has in fact feasted off bad goaltending.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Would be interesting to see those stats. See if the best playoff performer of the generation has in fact feasted off bad goaltending.

*shrug*. If you wanna look it up, feel free. I know just recently Crosby has done well vs Bobrovksy, Vasilevsky, Rinne, and Holtby. That's four pretty good goalies right there and he put up a lot of points vs all of them.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Not put in the best situation when he's probably the biggest physical presence and grinder on his line. This was a good line combination for the more wide open play of the regular season, but needed more grit, size with skill alongside him to let him be the star he is in a more physical playoff style of game.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
*shrug*. If you wanna look it up, feel free. I know just recently Crosby has done well vs Bobrovksy, Vasilevsky, Rinne, and Holtby. That's four pretty good goalies right there and he put up a lot of points vs all of them.

Crosby is under a Ppg vs holtby. 4 goals and 17 points in 18 games. 10 primary points.

.23 gpg

Those are well below his average.

Last edited:
Reactions: IvanMalison

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Not put in the best situation when he's probably the biggest physical presence and grinder on his line. This was a good line combination for the more wide open play of the regular season, but needed more grit, size with skill alongside him to let him be the star he is in a more physical playoff style of game.

Not to mention that he needs defenders capable of clearing the zone with possession so he doesn't have to do it all, and maybe go in for maybe one chance in the offensive zone then have to change. This happened all series long - if Crosby hadn't been helping out down low NYI would have destroyed the Penguins even worse.

The as others have pointed out, he seemed to be the only player on his line capable of retrieving a dump-in. Even Crosby can't do it all.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Crosby is under a Ppg vs holtby. 4 goals and 17 points in 18 games. 10 primary points.

.23 gpg

Those are well below his average.

That's still a fair amount of points. If you want to point out a goalie he struggled against, Osgood is a better example.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Or look at his Final's #'s.

25 GP 4 G 15 A 19 P = .76 ppg.

Not terrible but no where near his early round numbers, and not becoming of someone who some claim is a top 5 all time player.

Reactions: IvanMalison

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
And here are some more ACTUAL STATS DEBUNKING your trolling drivel for the 1000th time.

Primary assists (Secondary)-
  1. Connor McDavid - 54 (16)
  2. Nikita Kucherov - 51 (32)
  3. Mitch Marner - 49 (16)
  4. Blake Wheeler - 46 (22)
  5. Sidney Crosby - 46 (15)
  6. Jonathan Huberdeau - 38 (21)
  7. Artemi Panarin - 38 (14)
  8. Brent Burns - 37 (27)
  9. Patrick Kane - 36 (25)
  10. Claude Giroux - 36 (24)
  11. Steven Stamkos - 36 (16)

Secondary assists (Primary)-
  1. Nikita Kucherov - 32 (51)
  2. Mark Giordano - 32 (24)
  3. Brent Burns - 27 (37)
  4. Brad Marchand - 26 (34)
  5. Patrick Kane - 25 (36)
  6. Morgan Rielly - 25 (25)
  7. Ryan Suter - 25 (14)
  8. Thomas Chabot - 25 (12)
  9. Claude Giroux - 24 (36)
  10. Nathan MacKinnon - 24 (31)
  11. Elias Lindholm - 24 (26)
  12. Jacob Trouba - 24 (14)

Primary assists at even strength:

1. Marner 38
2. McDavid 33
3. Crosby 33
4. Kucherov 32
5. Panarin 30
6. Giroux 29
7. Huberdeau 29

Where do you find the primary/secondary assists stats from? Because there are some things that just don't make sense in those lists. I'd like a source plz

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I am not a Penguins fan. that said, Crosby has been awesome for years and in my mind, he has always been under-rated. He is a gritty, mentally tough competitor in all three zones, plays sacrificially and hustles his heart out and has been great as an all-around 200ft player for years. And he knows how to make others around him better. And he is a winner too. This testimony is from a 50year plus Blackhawk's fan. When we, as hockey fans, have been privileged to see talent and heart like Crosby - even if he is not on "our" team --- we should all be thankful. To not acknowledge that a player is excellent even if he is on an "enemy" team... is just not right. the NHL as a whole has been and remains a better league because guys like Crosby are here.

To argue that Crosby is somehow less than a generational player is to me not defensible. His team here just got butt-stomped, yes. But one man cannot do all things in all times and carry the day when his teammates are getting outplayed (and, at the same time, the opposing goalie is crazy hot). Crosby is not why the pens got stomped. he actually played pretty well in that series. I personally am glad the pens are out - but I have much respect for Crosby. great player.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Robin Lehner, .956 Save %. People need to look no further for the reason Crosby got nothing this series.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Or look at his Final's #'s.

25 GP 4 G 15 A 19 P = .76 ppg.

Not terrible but no where near his early round numbers, and not becoming of someone who some claim is a top 5 all time player.

So his early round numbers against the #1 and #2 defensive teams in the league in 2107 should be given less importance?

Who do you think is the #5 player?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I heard somewhere that this is the first time Crosby got swept, but I could have sworn that the bruins did it to him too a few years ago.

Maybe that's just my memory failing me, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad