Proposal: Creative ways to shed Loui Eriksson contract

Nov 1, 2011
How about:

Eriksson 2 x 6M (5M cash left)
Baertschi 1 x 3.36M (2.4M cash)

For

Zaitsev 4 x @ 4.5M (18M left) 1M retained

Ottawa would also buyout Eriksson next season. Baertschi plays in the minors.

Why Vancouver does it: they get rid of Eriksson and Baertschi without having to give up other assets, and get a serviceable RD for 4 years at a 3.5M cap hit. They gain almost 6M in cap space this year.

Why Ottawa does it: over the next 4 years, it stead of paying Zaitsev 18M, they can pay him 4M (salary retention), Baertschi 2.4M, and Eriksson 3M (1M this year, 2M buyout)for a total of 9.4 million over the next 4 years. That's $9 million cash savings for Eugene. Or Tim Stuetzle's next contract.

That's why Ottawa does it. I'm also a sens fan so I might be biased. The 4 year term on Zaitsev could be a lot. Thoughts?

I'd do it. Then I'd out Zaitsev in the minors.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
The problem with this is this just extends a bad situation. The Canucks don't want to sell future cap space (which theyll have even less of than we do now) they want to trade real dollars for cap space.
One way for teams to save real dollars is to simply not spend to the cap this season.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
It’s clear to anyone, anywhere on earth exactly what the Canucks and Luongo’s intentions were when the contract was signed. If there’s anything I’ve learned from watching Sports Leagues throughout my life it’s this; the quickest way to find yourself in purgatory is to find a loophole in a CBA and immediately try to drive a Strombone through it.

The Canucks got exactly what was coming. Aren’t the Islanders still paying Yashin AND Dipietro? (J/K, that’s for the LOLs). It was only that much more delicious when Luongo actually retired, incurring the Recapture Penalty to a team that treated him like dogshit. Sorry boys, sometimes you get what you deserve.
Multiple teams signed these deals and with exception to Kovalchuk the Canucks are the only ones to pay any penalty. As for the way Luongo was treated - he was the one that wanted to go back to Florida and only Florida so obviously you have a hate on for the Canucks but everything you wrote is dead wrong.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
What was the loophole? Signing long contracts? I think it's pretty standard to look for every advantage within the rules. The thing is it seems the Canucks were the only team to actually pay for doing it. Every team would have done it with a player like Lu. Not every team had a player worth a long term deal is all.
If he was worth a long-term deal, there’s no problem. It was so long-term the Canucks deserve to be still paying it.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
Multiple teams signed these deals and with exception to Kovalchuk the Canucks are the only ones to pay any penalty. As for the way Luongo was treated - he was the one that wanted to go back to Florida and only Florida so obviously you have a hate on for the Canucks but everything you wrote is dead wrong.

Bettman was on TSN sports radio a few weeks ago. When asked about the Luongo situation, he stated that all teams were warned that this loophole was going to be closed, but they were free to continue to do so, with the understanding that there may be consequences...and there were.

Reactions: voxel

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Nothing about anything I wrote is wrong. The Canucks didn’t want Luongo to play out the Contract, he didn’t. Everyone got what they wanted.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
You have to trade him to a team that would either be fine with keeping him on roster for two seasons or wish to buy him out and be fine with the $5.6M/$3.6M/$666K/$666K hits.

The only team I think can fit that bill (can afford the 20-21 cap hit and has cap space) is the Detroit Red Wings.

Maybe:

To Vancouver
Darren Helm

To Detroit
Loui Eriksson
1st Round Pick 2021
2nd Round Pick 2022

If Vancouver isn't willing to give up so much of a future, they can add a pick to get Detroit to send them Frans Nielsen, whose buyout hit isn't as bad as Eriksson's. Of course Detroit can't be on Loui's list.

Only other deal I can think of would be a Boychuk for Eriksson swap. His buyout hit is even worse but maybe Boychuk gets a pep in his step playing for a new team? Yikes.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Bettman was on TSN sports radio a few weeks ago. When asked about the Luongo situation, he stated that all teams were warned that this loophole was going to be closed, but they were free to continue to do so, with the understanding that there may be consequences...and there were.

Yet all other contracts of a similar nature have no cap recapture

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
You have to trade him to a team that would either be fine with keeping him on roster for two seasons or wish to buy him out and be fine with the $5.6M/$3.6M/$666K/$666K hits.

The only team I think can fit that bill (can afford the 20-21 cap hit and has cap space) is the Detroit Red Wings.

Maybe:

To Vancouver
Darren Helm

To Detroit
Loui Eriksson
1st Round Pick 2021
2nd Round Pick 2022

If Vancouver isn't willing to give up so much of a future, they can add a pick to get Detroit to send them Frans Nielsen, whose buyout hit isn't as bad as Eriksson's. Of course Detroit can't be on Loui's list.

Only other deal I can think of would be a Boychuk for Eriksson swap. His buyout hit is even worse but maybe Boychuk gets a pep in his step playing for a new team? Yikes.

Nope. Thanks for the interest though.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

And how many other teams were forced to pay out the (unfulfilled) contracts? Zetterberg and Hossa come to mind, I'm sure Montreal will come to some kind of agreement with Weber, as will Chicago with Seabrook. Vancouver has been, and will be, the only team paying our for those legal (at the time they were signed) contracts. Being warned ahead of time doesn't fix the issue of it not being enforced.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
And how many other teams were forced to pay out the (unfulfilled) contracts? Zetterberg and Hossa come to mind, I'm sure Montreal will come to some kind of agreement with Weber, as will Chicago with Seabrook. Vancouver has been, and will be, the only team paying our for those legal (at the time they were signed) contracts. Being warned ahead of time doesn't fix the issue of it not being enforced.

Zetterberg and Hossa both are on long term injured reserve with contracts that will expire in 2021. Luongo retired, and gave Florida cap space. If Luongo went on LTIR, there would not be this issue.

That is why there has been no enforcement of the recapture penalty on other teams.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Get Loui to legally change his name and try to convince the league that his Cap hit no longer applies because there is no longer a Loui Eriksson employed by the Canucks.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Vancouver retains $2M

Trade to team A with 2 2nds

Team B retains $2M then trades him to team B with one of those 2nds.

Team B buries him in the AHL

This is the most reasonable trade if we didn’t have the pandemic. $4M dead cash for a 2nd... won’t entice an owner. Marleau buyout cost $4.6M for the first ... spread out over two years. I suspect it will cost Canucks two 1sts.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Chicago will not have any recapture penalty with seabrook.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Los Angeles, Florida, New Jersey and Vancouver have all had Cap Recapture penalizes.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Only contracts signed before 2013 are subject to Cap Recapture. Seabrook’s deal was signed in 2015.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
This is the most reasonable trade if we didn’t have the pandemic. $4M dead cash for a 2nd... won’t entice an owner. Marleau buyout cost $4.6M for the first ... spread out over two years. I suspect it will cost Canucks two 1sts.

Marleau buyout cost $3.83m.

Though the wallets are tighter now and I don’t think two 2nds will cut it to completely dump Loui. Minimum a 1st for a full cap dump and might have to add.

Or take bad stuff back instead and not get the full cap dump.

Last edited:
Reactions: voxel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad