Proposal: Creative ways to shed Loui Eriksson contract

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
"LTIR" is my concern. Zetterberg perhaps, but Hossa became allergic to his equipment the second his contract became a burden? I mean the timing on that screams suspicious.

People keep saying this but if they understood, at all, how things work they would realize what a ridiculous claim that is.

In order for a player to be placed on the LTIR the teams medical staff have to declare him unfit to play. At which point, because of the salary cap, this claim needs to be verified by the National Hockey League by an independent medical examiner.

Once both of those things are done, the contract is then paid off by an insurance company and guess what they do before they cut a multi million cheque? They have yet another independent medical examiner go through their examination.

It is absolutely impossible for a team to put an otherwise healthy player on LTIR. It would require the team to be involved with a conspiracy with the league, and the goal of the conspiracy is to defraud the insurance company and guess what, the conspiracy requires the insurance company themselves to be in on it in order to defraud themselves.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
"how can we dump Erikssons contract, while getting something not as bad, while also giving up nothing of value" essentially

Eriksson+Virtanen+prospect to Ottawa for Anisimov.

3.5 mil to re-sign gaudette. donzeo

I'd do this, depending on the prospect (and/or pick) Anisimov is still a decent player too.

However since Ottawa is doubling their cap hit (assuming Virtanen signs 2 yr/~$3M) for this year and adding $9M cap next year, because Anisimov only has 1 year left, they would want decent compensation one would think... although they actually paid a pick for Gudbranson.

The cap savings should be enough to sign Gaudette, Leivo (or other tweener forward for 1-1.5M) + sign Fantenberg or another depth D (once Baertschi's buried contract is factored in).

Last edited:

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
It was a retroactive decision made after a number of those contracts were signed. Saying they warned they would close the loop hole after the contracts signed, then retroactively punishing teams that signed an (at the time) legal contract is a joke for this league. The only contract that was signed in bad faith was the first attempt at Kovalchuk signing in New Jersey, and that punishment was reduced after he left the NHL and his contract was nullified from losing their first to picking last in that year.

Luongo signed his contract in 2009, under the CBA of 2005-2012. Bettman advised all teams that the next CBA in 2013, would close this loophole and penalties would be applicable, even on contracts signed before the latest CBA.

I am unsure of the timing but Bettman implies that Luongo's contract was signed after Bettman told all the teams. Until his radio interview this month, I was like you...unhappy about the Luongo penalty and unclear why it was applicable. Now, I am still unhappy but I understand why the Canucks have to pay...he retired and did not go on LTIR. Gillis gambled and the Canucks lost. The only surprise is that he did not go on LTIR, like the other players.

Luongo's official retirement from NHL benefits Panthers, burns Canucks | The Province

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
Easy!

step 1: trade him to Buffalo for Okposo who also has a 6mil cap hit. But both teams retain 50%.

step 2: each team trades them to two different teams, and again retain 50%. Therefore, the teams that gets him and Okposo only are taking on 1.5 mil. So neither Buffalo nor Vancouver have to give up a lot.

Buffalo and Vancouver save 1.5 mil!

You can only retain a maximum of 50% of a player's salary cap. There can't be two 50% retentions.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Loui Eriksson with no retention and Vasili Podkolzin to LA for Rasmus Kupari, Kale Clague, and St. Louis' second round pick in 2021.

Turcotte - Kopitar - Kaliyev
Podkolzin - Byfield - Fagemo
Andersson - Vilardi - Madden

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Luongo signed his contract in 2009, under the CBA of 2005-2012. Bettman advised all teams that the next CBA in 2013, would close this loophole and penalties would be applicable, even on contracts signed before the latest CBA.

I am unsure of the timing but Bettman implies that Luongo's contract was signed after Bettman told all the teams. Until his radio interview this month, I was like you...unhappy about the Luongo penalty and unclear why it was applicable. Now, I am still unhappy but I understand why the Canucks have to pay...he retired and did not go on LTIR. Gillis gambled and the Canucks lost. The only surprise is that he did not go on LTIR, like the other players.

Luongo's official retirement from NHL benefits Panthers, burns Canucks | The Province

I don’t know precisely when the NHL sent a warning to teams, but from accounts I’ve read it was near or shortly after the Hossa signing. Which would have been before Luongo.

The Luongo contract was goofy from the beginning. It was almost as if Gillis felt he needed to keep up with the Joneses and sign someone to a retirement deal since other teams were doing it. They could have fit in a reasonable Luongo extension without the cap circumventing retirement deal.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Loui Eriksson with no retention and Vasili Podkolzin to LA for Rasmus Kupari, Kale Clague, and St. Louis' second round pick in 2021.

Would do this in a heartbeat from Canucks perspective.

Reactions: THE Green Man

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Would do this in a heartbeat from Canucks perspective.

It's definitely a generous offer, but (in my personal opinion and likely no other Kings fan's opinion) LA has more prospects than they can reasonably ice and could focus on consolidating some of that talent.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
If Benning REALLY wanted to play hard ball to find a solution, he would go to him and say your ass is staying home until we can find a suitable destination for you because we (the Canucks) don't want to risk you getting injured and therefore can't move you. Until then, keep training and hopefully something gets worked out. Eriksson has said he wants to play. Simply put, this is a gamble to try and force Eriksson to come forward to mutually terminate the contract. It's either he gives up the money, or he doesn't play.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
I don’t know precisely when the NHL sent a warning to teams, but from accounts I’ve read it was near or shortly after the Hossa signing. Which would have been before Luongo.

The Luongo contract was goofy from the beginning. It was almost as if Gillis felt he needed to keep up with the Joneses and sign someone to a retirement deal since other teams were doing it. They could have fit in a reasonable Luongo extension without the cap circumventing retirement deal.

I think the only thing goofier than the contract was when Luongo was named team captain. This is all the time I am going to spend on Luongo. Its done and from my understanding, the team has accepted responsiblity for previous management actions.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017

Intriguing. Can you give me a lowdown on those Kings prospects?

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Intriguing. Can you give me a lowdown on those Kings prospects?

Kupari and Clague are kind of "old news" prospects that have fallen out of favor due to the Kings' impressive drafting recently. Kupari was selected 20th in 2018 and Clague 51st in 2016.

From THW: https://thehockeywriters.com/la-kings-prospects-top-prospects-april-2020/

Rasmus Kupari’s season arguably could not have gone worse. His 27 games with the Reign were not fantastic production-wise, but the slick, Finnish prospect showed flashes of what he’s capable of. The ACL injury in Finland’s first game at World Juniors finished his season. Assuming the injury doesn’t hinder his mobility going forward, Kupari is still possibly the fastest prospect in the system.

His game is well-rounded and his blend of speed, hands, playmaking and goalscoring makes him a tantalizing offensive prospect. Throw in his defensively responsibility and he projects to be a top-six forward (and possibly top-two center) for the Kings in the future. The ACL injury and the slow start in the AHL this season holds him up on his NHL readiness projection. The Kings can afford to have him get a full season under his belt with other talented young forwards in Ontario this coming season. It’s going to be an exciting group and having them build some chemistry together as they find their scoring touches could bring good future dividends.

Kale Clague was less than a month into his 18th year when he was picked at the 2016 draft. This meant that the 2018-19 season was his first of AHL eligibility under the NHL/CHL agreement. His second season in the AHL saw steady improvements in all areas but his four-game NHL stint wasn’t anything to really write home about. At this point in his development, Clague projects to be more of a middle-pairing defender who’s capable of chipping in points and possibly some power-play usage. His offensive upside and point potential is likely to be what carries him to the NHL. The biggest downside for him right now is that the Kings have a functionally similar player in Sean Walker.

While Walker is right-handed, Clague is left-handed. That’s going to matter going forward for the Kings because it’s going to have an impact on their decision-making process and how their roster shakes out. Clague has the ability, right now in his career, to fill a role on the team, but teams are starting to only carry one or two defensemen of this type on their rosters. He’s still a little bit too one-dimensional to be considered a 20-minute-per-night defender.

What Clague will need to do is show some rounding out in his defensive game, and continued improvement in his compete level and ability to think the game. Improvements to these areas will open doors and make available more roles and more ice-time for a player who’s going to be fighting for an NHL job in the preseason. He’s ready to play in the NHL if called upon, but at this point it’s a matter of gauging where his ceiling is going to be.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

Canucks are not trading Podkolzin to get rid of Eriksson.

Reactions: mouser

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
You can only retain a maximum of 50% of a player's salary cap. There can't be two 50% retentions.
Lehner’s contract was retained twice in February... Chicago retained 50% (2.5m of 5m original cap hit) and Toronto retained an additional 1.1m (44% of the 50% they could have)

So unless this was changed since February, there can be 2 50% retentions (so up to 75% total)

Reactions: voxel

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Ergo, the Canucks are not trading Louie Ericksson.
Going price to move a bad contract (even worse than Eriksson's) has been a 1st with varying amounts of retention or none. That's likely the starting point, unless you are talking about taking a somewhat equally bad contract back. If the Canucks aren't giving up that pick, I don't see another team with any incentive to take it on.

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
Lehner’s contract was retained twice in February... Chicago retained 50% (2.5m of 5m original cap hit) and Toronto retained an additional 1.1m (44% of the 50% they could have)

So unless this was changed since February, there can be 2 50% retentions (so up to 75% total)

Upon further research, you are correct sir. I had no idea this could be done mostly because I've never seen it done and could be easily abused for cap circumvention.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna

Would you do a different deal if the prospect was Hoglander/Juolevi?

I agree with T. Scott that trading Podkolzin should not be on the table, but your offer of 2 prospects and a 2nd round pick coming back is pretty damn tempting. We gain 3 assets while dumping 1 top prospect and a 6m dead weight contract...

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Give his wife a job that pays her 8 million dollars over two years, and send her to Antarctica to scout polar bears.

Louie can take the hint, terminate his contract and move with her.
That would be a tough decision for him. Move to Antarctica so his wife can make 8M or don't go to Antarctica, stay in the NHL, and make 8M himself. Quite the dilemma.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad