Proposal: Creative ways to shed Loui Eriksson contract

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
We're not talking about real difference making players though. And if you save 5 million dollars over two yrs, during a pandemic, I kinda think that would be tempting to an owner of a team that isn't near the cap or overly competitive.
The GMs of the opposing teams would beg to differ.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Burying Eriksson saves about 1m if I recall correctly. I'd rather bury the bum and save the assets. Most of those trades save less cap plus require additional assets to be punted.
No matter which contract we bury we save about a million dollars, so these moves free up space. Between 750k and 2 mil on just burying Eriksson. We can bury Sutter and Beagle instead. Or whomever.

Reactions: JTmillerForA1stLOL

Diablo2020

Feb 11, 2020
Calgary
It needs to be for a player no one sees coming.

Someone who makes cold hard cash signed for more than 1 year that a team just wants to dump to save money.

Brett Connolly owed 10.5 million cash.

Nino Nieddereiter owed 9.725 million cash.

Rasmus Ristolainen owed 9.8 million cash.

Colin Miller owed 7.75 million cash.

Paul Byron owed 9.6 million cash.

In some cases we'd need to add but all five of those off the top of my head would save us immediate cap savings and wed get back a player we can use even if they have a garbage contract.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
If the Canucks buyout louie next year I think they free up 2.3 mill. Is the buyout cap hit over one season or multiple seasons?

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010

Someone who makes cold hard cash signed for more than 1 year that a team just wants to dump to save money.

In some cases we'd need to add but all five of those off the top of my head would save us immediate cap savings and wed get back a player we can use even if they have a garbage contract.
Well ya all of the players I mentioned had the same effect, except they aren't for the most part significant improvements so the price would be reasonable. I had thought of Neidereiter but he is a bit too useful to Carolina I think. The problem with someone like Byron is you are just extending the problem. The player can't have a longer term than Eriksson unless we feel he'll be a big contributer in that time.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

The cap space is much more important to Montreal than the cash. There is no way the Habs make that swap.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Birthday, eton mess and dynamite

Hot air ballon and a murder of man-eating crows

Skates, rockets and a map of the universe

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Not entirely sure, if it was one year, it'd be different.
$6 mil on the cap could be used to bring back Hoffman for us
Stralman's cap hit is 5.5 you'd be taking on 500k in cap and the owner would be saving 5 million in real dollars.

I don't believe Stralman is tradeable other than for similar money coming back.

NextGoalIsHuge

Nov 19, 2017
I like the thought process. I'm all for saving $$$ for cash-strapped teams if it lowers our cap. It's just...this isn't like any other year.
GOOD contracts for decent players are tough to move, right now.
Ugly contracts...I dunno. Just can't see anyone going for it w/o a huge add. Why would they do us a favour?
I looked a t a couple teams with lower caps and...partial rosters, thinking that saving them millions in cash would help grease the wheels.
But if that was going to happen, I think it would have by now.

I am resigned to the reality that LE is a Canuck for 2 more years. /sigh. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised, but...heh.
Let all the big FA contracts signed in 2016 be a cautionary tale for any GM that feels the need to "win" FA day.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
2. Dustin Brown (2 x 5.87) (actual 8)
Canucks get a better player. LA saves 3 mil. Canucks maybe add a 4th?

3. Jeff Carter (2 x 5.2) (actual 4)
This would cost LA 1 mil and they'd get the worse player so maybe a prospect and lower pick. Gadjovic + 4th?
Dustin Brown would not be traded. He is a leader on a young team and the first LA captain to win a cup. He isn't going to be traded

For Carter, look at what similar cap dump contracts cost, the Canucks would have to add big time. Even playing hurt past year, Carter's production was much better than Eriksson's

Reactions: Guitpik

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
You can have Andrew Ladd, 3 more years 5.5M :P (save 500k). At least Eriksson might be somewhat useful

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Stralman's cap hit is 5.5 you'd be taking on 500k in cap and the owner would be saving 5 million in real dollars.

I don't believe Stralman is tradeable other than for similar money coming back.

Still rather have an overpaid Stralman than a cap dump in Eriksson.
If/when we re-sign Weegar, our defense finally has some decent depth

Weegar - Ekblad
Nutivaara - Stralman
Yandle - Gudas

I agree Stralman isn't tradeable without similar cap coming back but he played 21 mins a night for us this past year.
We already filled up our bottom 6 forward group.
VAN will have to bite the bullet with Loui one more year and likely retain a bit and add a pick/prospect to move him in July 2021.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Anyway those are a few attempts. Before you all poo poo it does the premise make sense? Save in real dollars for slight hit to your cap? Im thinking this could interest smaller market teams.

Every single one of these players are better than Eriksson and every single one of them is cheaper.

There is no chance any of these even get past the first sentence. They are not close, at all. Vancouver would need to add a very significant sweetener to not get hung up on.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Teams want to save actual money though right. So yes they move a slightly better player but they save a few million and they add a pick or prospect. If I am an owner of a non cap team I would be looking to save real dollars for cap space, why not.

I think you are grossly over estimating teams interest in saving "real dollars."

Reactions: Guitpik

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I like the thought process. I'm all for saving $$$ for cash-strapped teams if it lowers our cap. It's just...this isn't like any other year.
GOOD contracts for decent players are tough to move, right now.
Ugly contracts...I dunno. Just can't see anyone going for it w/o a huge add. Why would they do us a favour?
I looked a t a couple teams with lower caps and...partial rosters, thinking that saving them millions in cash would help grease the wheels.
But if that was going to happen, I think it would have by now.

I am resigned to the reality that LE is a Canuck for 2 more years. /sigh. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised, but...heh.
Let all the big FA contracts signed in 2016 be a cautionary tale for any GM that feels the need to "win" FA day.

I am not sure I would underestimate the massive cash crunch coming for these teams that hasn't come yet. The players are not getting paid right now. Once payroll kicks back in, teams are going to have to come up with 10-12 million a month WITH NO REVENUE from gate or food sales etc..

I will be surprised if there are not some teams who will be close to bankruptcy at some point within 12 months if this keeps going. Some of these teams can not afford to pay players and survive.

This is a BIG deal!!!

So... I actually think there will be situations that have not come up yet that can save real dollars for franchises by making these kind of moves. I think there will be owners telling gm's they have to do these things to survive. One serious question that remains is, will Aquaman and family be willing to pay the Canucks payroll and add to it with moves like this? I am not so sure.... But I do believe variables will converge to make these type of deals attractive to some.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
So Loui Eriksson has a cap hit of 6 mil for the next two yrs. He is owed 1 million this yrs and 4 million the season after. So 5 million actual.

My question is can the Canucks find a way to move his contract for a similar contract that has a slightly lower cap hit, or is for a slightly better player and not give up too much to do so? Would teams be interested in saving a few million dollars in real money at the cost of taking on more cap hit.

The idea is to move Eriksson without having to move high picks or top prospects.

Here are some examples I came up with:

Eriksson for:

1. Frans Nielson (2 x 5.25) (actual 8)
Canucks save 750k in cap and Detroit saves 3 million in real dollars. Straight swap?

2. Dustin Brown (2 x 5.87) (actual 8)
Canucks get a better player. LA saves 3 mil. Canucks maybe add a 4th?

3. Jeff Carter (2 x 5.2) (actual 4)
This would cost LA 1 mil and they'd get the worse player so maybe a prospect and lower pick. Gadjovic + 4th?

4. Anton Stralman (2 x 5.5) (actual 10)
Florida saves 5 mil in real dollars. Stralman becomes our 5th dman. He is a better player so maybe add 4th?

5. Viktor Rask (2 x 4) (actual 8)
Minnesota save 3 mil. Players have similar value. Maybe Canucks add a depth prospect.

Anyway those are a few attempts. Before you all poo poo it does the premise make sense? Save in real dollars for slight hit to your cap? Im thinking this could interest smaller market teams.
Buyout

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad