Proposal: Creative ways to shed Loui Eriksson contract

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
A time machine. Go back to July 1st, 2016 and don’t give him that contract.
I’m still trying to perfect mine so the hawks don’t sign seabrook for 8 damn years.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Creative way? I have a better option.

Step 1) Buy him a fake mustache

Step 2) Walk him down to the court house, have him legally change his name to Elias McDavid.

Step 3) ?

Step 4) Profit

Vancouver seems pretty stuck with that contract unless they retain and add sweeteners.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This is the most reasonable trade if we didn’t have the pandemic. $4M dead cash for a 2nd... won’t entice an owner. Marleau buyout cost $4.6M for the first ... spread out over two years. I suspect it will cost Canucks two 1sts.

You didn’t read it properly

Vancouver gives up 2 2nds with LE st $4M
Team A gets a 2nd to retain $2M cap space over 2 yrs
Team B ends up with LE at $2M and a 2nd

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
You didn’t read it properly

Vancouver gives up 2 2nds with LE st $4M
Team A gets a 2nd to retain $2M cap space over 2 yrs
Team B ends up with LE at $2M and a 2nd

Ok... how does this work? LE has a two years remaining at $6M/yr.

If Canucks retain $2M/yr leaving Team A with LE at $4M/yr (and two 2nds).
Team A retains "$2M cap space over 2 yrs" (which is $1M/yr) that leaves LE at $3M/yr for Team B (and now one of the 2nds).

How does "Team B ends up with LE at $2M"???
Team B is left with deadweight player at $3M/yr for two years. For a second round pick? No... Team B needs a 1st minimum and probably more.

Now if Team A retained $2M/yr for two years... that's $4M of dead cash/cap and exactly what Marleau cost. That price was a 1st.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
"how can we dump Erikssons contract, while getting something not as bad, while also giving up nothing of value" essentially

Eriksson+Virtanen+prospect to Ottawa for Anisimov.

3.5 mil to re-sign gaudette. donzeo

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I think the best bet is to convince Eriksson to retire and then the Canucks hire him as a scout for the money he would have made (or a little more). Eriksson still gets paid, Canucks lose his cap hit. :sarcasm:

LOL he is still owed 5 mil.

they gonna make him the highest paid scout in NHL history by far?

also this is cap circumvention. bye bye 1st rd picks the next couple years

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
I think the best bet is to convince Eriksson to retire and then the Canucks hire him as a scout for the money he would have made (or a little more). Eriksson still gets paid, Canucks lose his cap hit. :sarcasm:
Problem is,,he wants to play...I say keep sitting him out until he starts to cry like a baby,then wants out...

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Zetterberg and Hossa both are on long term injured reserve with contracts that will expire in 2021. Luongo retired, and gave Florida cap space. If Luongo went on LTIR, there would not be this issue.

That is why there has been no enforcement of the recapture penalty on other teams.

"LTIR" is my concern. Zetterberg perhaps, but Hossa became allergic to his equipment the second his contract became a burden? I mean the timing on that screams suspicious.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Only contracts signed before 2013 are subject to Cap Recapture. Seabrook’s deal was signed in 2015.

You're right, I lumped his in with the other front loaded, back diving contracts (perhaps due to length?), my mistake, I brought his name into it unnecessarily.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Give his wife a job that pays her 8 million dollars over two years, and send her to Antarctica to scout polar bears.

Louie can take the hint, terminate his contract and move with her.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
"LTIR" is my concern. Zetterberg perhaps, but Hossa became allergic to his equipment the second his contract became a burden? I mean the timing on that screams suspicious.

The NHL warned teams that the loophole would be closed, if the player retired early. And still gave teams an out...get the player to agree to go on LTIR. If you are mad at anyone, get mad at Luongo for helping the Panthers lower their salary cap, by retiring instead of going on LTIR, which would have helped the team that gave him the big contract with the big dollars up front.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Team B retains $2M then trades him to team B
tenor.gif

Reactions: voxel

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Neal 750 retained so 5 million a year . Saves the Canucks a million but adds an extra year cost the 7 million instead of 5.75 but gets them out of a contract a year earlier .

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Neal 750 retained so 5 million a year . Saves the Canucks a million but adds an extra year cost the 7 million instead of 5.75 but gets them out of a contract a year earlier .

Eriksson is a benchwarmer. 10 goal scorer at best.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Easy!

step 1: trade him to Buffalo for Okposo who also has a 6mil cap hit. But both teams retain 50%.

step 2: each team trades them to two different teams, and again retain 50%. Therefore, the teams that gets him and Okposo only are taking on 1.5 mil. So neither Buffalo nor Vancouver have to give up a lot.

Buffalo and Vancouver save 1.5 mil!

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The NHL warned teams that the loophole would be closed, if the player retired early. And still gave teams an out...get the player to agree to go on LTIR. If you are mad at anyone, get mad at Luongo for helping the Panthers lower their salary cap, by retiring instead of going on LTIR, which would have helped the team that gave him the big contract with the big dollars up front.

It was a retroactive decision made after a number of those contracts were signed. Saying they warned they would close the loop hole after the contracts signed, then retroactively punishing teams that signed an (at the time) legal contract is a joke for this league. The only contract that was signed in bad faith was the first attempt at Kovalchuk signing in New Jersey, and that punishment was reduced after he left the NHL and his contract was nullified from losing their first to picking last in that year.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->