Craig MacTavish hired as Lokomotiv head coach (and fired - 09/24/19)

Oct 15, 2008
Nicholson is the CEO.

Of what? For what? Running the easiest program in sports into the ground? He is the biggest **** show in hockey and a total fraud.

MacT is a fuqn super genius compared to him.
Mact is the dumbest man in hockey.

Nicholson is nothing more than a liaison between management and the owner. Mact has a long list of bad decisions that he managed to escape any accountability for far too long. According to ‘reports’ this decision to leave was on his terms.

It’s likely he is being ‘stored’ in Russia, like a set of winter tires, only to come back later when the heat has died down.

Last edited:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I do find the timing of Mact leaving a bit strange.

I do wonder if he was looking to be promoted to PoHO but once the talks began with Holland, he began looking elsewhere-especially with how much disdain has been thrown publicly towards the management group.

Or maybe it's all coincidence.

As Rishaug said the morning it was announced, this is not something that happens over the course of a couple days. You don't get interviewed for a job and then agree to pick up and move to Russia for years without thinking it over, talking it over with family, etc. He almost for sure had this iron in the fire before Holland even changed his mind about being a GM.

People don't think about this from MacTavish's perspective. It's not fun to be hated and blamed by a passionate fanbase. I would not be surprised if the inflated contract he signed as GM is the only reason he stayed during the Chiarelli years to begin with.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Nicholson is the CEO.

Of what? For what? Running the easiest program in sports into the ground? He is the biggest **** show in hockey and a total fraud.

MacT is a fuqn super genius compared to him.

If you don't know what he does then its past you to criticize.

MacT on the other hand? Yeah his resume as manager of the team speaks for itself. Good riddance. Dont choke on the borscht over there.

Reactions: Zguy370

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
As Rishaug said the morning it was announced, this is not something that happens over the course of a couple days. You don't get interviewed for a job and then agree to pick up and move to Russia for years without thinking it over, talking it over with family, etc. He almost for sure had this iron in the fire before Holland even changed his mind about being a GM.

People don't think about this from MacTavish's perspective. It's not fun to be hated and blamed by a passionate fanbase. I would not be surprised if the inflated contract he signed as GM is the only reason he stayed during the Chiarelli years to begin with.

Yeah, I can't see a monumental decision like that beinf made over a few days or a week, but the thing to consider was Chiarelli was fired in January, which vacated the PoHO position as well. From how Nicholson talked, it also seemed like there would be a GM and a PoHO. Since MacT was VP, it's hard to say if he even chased the title/promotion or just when he started looking outside the org and continent for that matter.

I do wonder when he started the process with Yaroslavl...looking at the playoffs, they lost in the 2nd round in 5 games (game 5 was March 21st) and fired their coach sometime after.

I'm impressed none of this was leaked from Russia.

Reactions: rboomercat90

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I do find the timing of Mact leaving a bit strange.

I do wonder if he was looking to be promoted to PoHO but once the talks began with Holland, he began looking elsewhere-especially with how much disdain has been thrown publicly towards the management group.

Or maybe it's all coincidence.
I think the original plan was much different than what ended up unfolding. There was a big push from the bought media late in the season for Keith Gretzky as GM. Guys like Stauffer and Matheson were non stop pushing him for weeks, trying hard to disassociate him with Chiarelli. Praising all the great things he’d done (whatever those were). I wouldn’t be surprised if that version of the plan included Mactavish as his boss either officially or otherwise. There was also a lot said by same media members trying to pump up Mactavish’s tires to the fans at the same time. Bottom line is fans and more importantly, season ticket holders, made it clear they weren’t buying that so the organization had to go in a different direction.

Maybe it is just a coincidence that when it looks like the organization is finally ready to move away from cronyism and nepotism that’s when Mactavish decides its time to move on. Or maybe it’s not.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

*Breaking News*

Toby Peterson has been hired by Craig MacTavish to be an assistant coach. According to MacTavish “Toby was a highly skilled forward and I’m really excited to see how our players can benefit from Toby’s Power Play accumen. All the guy ever did was execute. Between Toby and Grebeshkov, who I also feel had Norris Trophy potential, the Gagarin Cup is in the bag.”

:sarcasm:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Nicholson is nothing more than a liaison between management and the owner. Mact has a long list of bad decisions that he managed to escape any accountability for far too long. According to ‘reports’ this decision to leave was on his terms.

It’s likely he is being ‘stored’ in Russia, like a set of winter tires, only to come back later when the heat has died down.

compare Mact GM trades vs CHia Pets moves

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I can see it now. Holland builds a championship team only to get fired the following off season to get replaced by Mac T.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Disagree. I feel like he doesn't get enough credit for the good moves that he made. I don't think he was a good GM by any means, but he wasn't as bad as people make him out to be.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Disagree. I feel like he doesn't get enough credit for the good moves that he made. I don't think he was a good GM by any means, but he wasn't as bad as people make him out to be.

His biggest mistakes were and will always be the hiring of Eakins and declaring to the world he was going to make bold moves. Meanwhile Eakins wasn't quite ready and he learned that teams don't just give you what you want, which made him go after some smaller deals that didn't pay off and alienated Petry and Dubnyk in the process.

Reactions: ujju2

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

I can hardly wait for the Oilers to bring MacT back.

Should be like the fox in the hen house. The clucking will be monumental.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
God only knows what Mactavish would have done if Nicholson hadn’t stripped him of some of his power midway through his final season. There were rumours just days before Nicholson announced he was running hockey ops that everyone was on the block and the Oilers were open for business.

Yes, Chiarelli was a disaster but let’s not pretend Mactavish was something he wasn’t. The only difference between the two is the team stepped in and stopped Mac T but they didn’t stop Chiarelli.

Last edited:
Reactions: smokersarejokers

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This has to be their theme song.....

In the shuffling madness
Of the locomotive breath

The train—it won't stop going
No way to slow down

No way to slow down
:D

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Comrade Holland purges another filthy OBC conspirator.

images

Reactions: 63 others

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
He got us Drasaitl, McDavid, and Nurse during his tenure. Had Chia not been hired, I guarantee you MacT goes to the podium and selects Barzal and Chabot. Just think about it for a sec.

He might also trade up and select Jake Debrusk, Louie's boy.

You guys can run him out of town but he has done more good as GM than the bozos before and after him.
In what universe do you live? MacT never got us McDavid

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Mact is great ! He turned a 3rd liner (Horcoff), into a 1st line, paid player. A player in Craig's own mold.....

He almost accomplished this same miracle again...with Toby....

What a master mind !

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad