Rumor: Craig Anderson: grumpy old man edition

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
His career average is ,914/2.76 that wouldn't shock me. But the key is if we play as a team like he said. That annoying 2 or 3 layered defence we had 2 years ago against the zero layered defence we had last year is a pretty big difference.

That isn't happening this season. First, we don't have the personnel to play that structured defensive style and secondly Dorion has mandated that Boucher play a faster skating more up-tempo and exciting style of hockey. Anderson won't have the benefit of a passive defensive style in front of him to eliminate many scoring opportunities.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
I've been hugely critical of the Sens management for years now, but in this case I don't think the organization owes Andy anything. The team stood by him when he missed games because he cut his finger cooking and then again when he had to take time off to tend to his sick wife. They signed him to a multi-year extension when he was like 36 and still had a year left on his deal. The Sens have always done right by Craig Anderson. They gave him job security, he can stick it out for a tough year with the org that helped reinvigorate his career.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
That isn't happening this season. First, we don't have the personnel to play that structured defensive style and secondly Dorion has mandated that Boucher play a faster skating more up-tempo and exciting style of hockey. Anderson won't have the benefit of a passive defensive style in front of him to eliminate many scoring opportunities.

Where did you hear this? All I've heard is that Boucher will have to play the younger players and that they have to practice more ("If I hear rest is a weapon one more time..."). I don't remember hearing anything about abandoning their d structure, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Where did you hear this? All I've heard is that Boucher will have to play the younger players and that they have to practice more ("If I hear rest is a weapon one more time..."). I don't remember hearing anything about abandoning their d structure, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
Not sure how he could expect to run his D structure with a lineup consisting of Wolanin/Ceci/Boro/Wideman in the top 6. Not much defensive acumen there.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Not sure how he could expect to run his D structure with a lineup consisting of Wolanin/Ceci/Boro/Wideman in the top 6. Not much defensive acumen there.

Yeah, I'm not arguing that. But the poster I responded to said that Dorion "mandated" the change. I've heard no such thing.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Yeah i hear that to but is a interview in french i hear

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
This would be our anticipated top 4 at this point if Karlsson is indeed traded...

Chabot-Ceci
Boro-Wideman
Wolanin-Harpur

Ouch.
We have very little depth, talent or experience on the blueline...probably not a great idea to trade away the best defenseman in the league!

Reactions: Gesus

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I've been hugely critical of the Sens management for years now, but in this case I don't think the organization owes Andy anything. The team stood by him when he missed games because he cut his finger cooking and then again when he had to take time off to tend to his sick wife. They signed him to a multi-year extension when he was like 36 and still had a year left on his deal. The Sens have always done right by Craig Anderson. They gave him job security, he can stick it out for a tough year with the org that helped reinvigorate his career.

The Sens helped reinvigorate his career by putting him behind a shitty defense for most of his time here so he could prove how good he is? :laugh:

Nothing like playing behind a 37 year old Chris Phillips playing 25 minutes a night.

Was the team not supposed to stand behind him when he cut his hand? “Our player injured himself we will not stand by and support cooking methods.”

It’s also funny how the Sens standing by an employee who’s wife has cancer is seemed like this this amazing thing done by the organization. It’s good they did but it’s also what should be expected of an organization. Putting the Sens on a pedestal because of it is also pretty funny.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
But dont you think we would get at least a top 3 defenseman coming back?
I would hope so, but trading Karlsson would likely be signalling full steam ahead scorched Earth rebuild, so I would hope they would just take the best players they can get regardless of position, where they are in their development, etc.

Reactions: albator71

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

I'm fairly sure I've also heard this mentioned by Dorion during the offseason, but I don't remember where honestly, sorry.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
The Sens helped reinvigorate his career by putting him behind a ****ty defense for most of his time here so he could prove how good he is? :laugh:

Nothing like playing behind a 37 year old Chris Phillips playing 25 minutes a night.

Was the team not supposed to stand behind him when he cut his hand? “Our player injured himself we will not stand by and support cooking methods.”

It’s also funny how the Sens standing by an employee who’s wife has cancer is seemed like this this amazing thing done by the organization. It’s good they did but it’s also what should be expected of an organization. Putting the Sens on a pedestal because of it is also pretty funny.

I agree those other things aren't these exceptional favors but they have treated Andy very well since he's come over, and signing him to that extension as a declining 36 year-old does mean he should suck it up and just play. He would never be playing for nearly $5 million on another team this year, much less the next. He can get over the shitty defense in front of him lol.

Reactions: InAbsensia

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The Sens helped reinvigorate his career by putting him behind a ****ty defense for most of his time here so he could prove how good he is? :laugh:

They way how they went out and got Condon within days of Hammond getting hurt, and Andy coming back for that game against Edmonton is huge. Dorion getting Condon that quickly took a huge amount of pressure and guilt off Anderson so he could take the leave of absence he needed. The organization didn't need to do that.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Anderson always seems to rotate between a bad year and a good year.

Hopefully he has a good year.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I agree those other things aren't these exceptional favors but they have treated Andy very well since he's come over, and signing him to that extension as a declining 36 year-old does mean he should suck it up and just play. He would never be playing for nearly $5 million on another team this year, much less the next. He can get over the ****ty defense in front of him lol.

Is he not sucking it up and playing? People keep saying this. Last I heard is that he’s not holding out or anything.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Anderson always seems to rotate between a bad year and a good year.

Hopefully he has a good year.

My guess is he has a better year than last year, but it still isn’t a great year. 2.8 GAA, .902 SVP kind of thing. He’ll have some bad nights, some good nights, but it still won’t be viewed as a great or even good year. It will just be better than last year.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
My guess is he has a better year than last year, but it still isn’t a great year. 2.8 GAA, .902 SVP kind of thing. He’ll have some bad nights, some good nights, but it still won’t be viewed as a great or even good year. It will just be better than last year.
.902 would improve his save percentage by .04 from last years % lol, if his gaa improves from the 3.32 of last season to 2.8 his save percentage will jump much more than .04. For example most seasons that Anderson actually had a 2.8 or 2.7 GAA his save percentage was in the 91 and 92 percentile.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I would suggest an organization standing by a guy who has a Jeckel and Hyde career is above and beyond. It's not the defense suddenly sucking every second season.

I mean, I like Andy. I've defended him alot on here over the years. But damn....it's hard to be a blueliner or member of management not knowing which Andy is between the pipes from season to season. His only consistency, is his inconsistency.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
That is if they don't get a Dman back in a deal which is unlikely.
They likely will yes. A Karlsson trade also probably means a full on rebuild with no hope for competing soon though, so i hope they just take the best players they can get for Karl instead of feeling like they need to replace him in the same deal.

Reactions: Daffy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad