Rumor: Craig Anderson: grumpy old man edition

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Every personality is different. Tuuka Rask also has "slumped his shoulders" so did guys like Patrick Roy. My personal opinion, but Anderson has done absolutely nothing wrong besides playing very poorly last year so I find a lot of these comments about him odd, and just far too much reading into something that isn't there.

I can almost always tell when Andy is going to have a bad or good game based entirely on his body language.

He's a moody goaltender.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Andy has a beautiful Murray tribute on his new helmet.

And here's a pic of the other side:

DlzEI0UW0AATrl8.jpg

Really nice mask, and quite the tribute to Murray. :clap:

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Never been a fan of his masks. The shape is wrong compared to other goalies, and the designs are pretty weird.

Reactions: InAbsensia

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
The Sens helped reinvigorate his career by putting him behind a ****ty defense for most of his time here so he could prove how good he is? :laugh:

Nothing like playing behind a 37 year old Chris Phillips playing 25 minutes a night.

They gave him an opportunity to be a starting goaltender when his career was sputtering with the Avs.

Was the team not supposed to stand behind him when he cut his hand? “Our player injured himself we will not stand by and support cooking methods.”

They had no choice, obviously. The point is, Craig's had his share of f***-ups while in Ottawa too.
It’s also funny how the Sens standing by an employee who’s wife has cancer is seemed like this this amazing thing done by the organization. It’s good they did but it’s also what should be expected of an organization. Putting the Sens on a pedestal because of it is also pretty funny.

Dude, I never put the Sens on a pedestal. You're exaggerating. I said the Sens "have always done right by him," which is true. He can do right by them and at the very least honour the first year of his extension without a fuss while the Sens get their shit together and try to find a replacement.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Andy’s just a crotchety old geezer who’s sick of getting lit up every game.
He could help his own cause by staying in his net. This organization has been nothing short of amazing to him, sent Lehner, Bishop and Hammond packing always choosing him first. Through thick and thin this organization has been 100 percent behind him. I guess he doesnt feel any loyalty is deserved. And frankly id love to see him go, poisonous attitude from your goaltender with a young defense is a recipe for disaster. I guess he also forgot how he was the worst goalie in the NHL last year. I guess thats actually a good thing he will need a short memory.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I really don't know much about goaltending, or have any confidence in evaluating goalies as I would players, so I'd take this with a gigantic grain of salt.

I'd think a .906 is what he will be around this season. A bit better than last year, but still playing behind the worst D corps in the league, he's still going to get lit up.

This is a very real possibility, at the same time we've seen Anderson outperform when our team was supposed to be trash and when we had a lot of young guys. For example in 2013-14 he was absolutely brilliant in leading us to the playoffs without guys like Spezza, Karlsson, Michalek, Cowen (who had a good year prior to that season) for parts of the season and the playoffs. Anderson is the type of goalie who has almost always played behind bad defense from start to finish of his career.

I don't think this year the defense is MUCH worse than it has been in the previous years in Ottawa although I would agree that it is worse. I guess what I'm saying is bad defense has been a common denominator throughout Anderson's career and this year won't be different. What makes a huge difference is how the team as a whole plays defensively and I expect that to be MUCH better than it was last season.

I think the players will come in and be motivated. It's a contract year for Karlsson, Duchene, Stone, Ceci, Wideman and Dzingel and then add motivated younger players like White, Wolanin, Chlapik/Tkatchuk/Batherson/Formenton and I think right there you have a good basis for your team to at the very least compete every single night and that's something that just was not the case last season, nevermind systems and all.

I think Anderson will have a good season and the team will play much better in front of him even though we are not a strong team on paper.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
He could help his own cause by staying in his net. This organization has been nothing short of amazing to him, sent Lehner, Bishop and Hammond packing always choosing him first. Through thick and thin this organization has been 100 percent behind him. I guess he doesnt feel any loyalty is deserved. And frankly id love to see him go, poisonous attitude from your goaltender with a young defense is a recipe for disaster. I guess he also forgot how he was the worst goalie in the NHL last year. I guess thats actually a good thing he will need a short memory.

A tad revisionist considering that Bishop was dealt due to Lehner crying about not wanting to return to Bingo and the risk of Bishop being RFA VI at the end of the season if not enough games played.
Hammond didn't show anything beyond that one run and then got hurt and never really recaptured any of his magic.
Lehner was dealt because the entire team was fed up with him at that point.

I don't think there was ever a case where it was legitimate question whether it should be Anderson or another goalie moved. It was always the backups fighting with themselves or the team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
A tad revisionist considering that Bishop was dealt due to Lehner crying about not wanting to return to Bingo and the risk of Bishop being RFA VI at the end of the season if not enough games played.
Hammond didn't show anything beyond that one run and then got hurt and never really recaptured any of his magic.

I don't think there was ever a case where it was legitimate question whether it should be Anderson or another goalie moved. It was always the backups fighting with themselves or the team.

They should have traded Anderson and went with Bishop and Lehner. Anderson would have returned the most and it would have been the best possible asset management at the time. They made a decision because Lehner was unhappy yes, but it was the wrong one in my opinion. Id love a new management group that prioritizes asset management, especially as a rebuilding club.

Hammond got yanked after 2 playoff games after carrying the team to the playoffs, alot of loyalty was shown to Anderson in that moment in my opinion. Hammond really has just been injured and Boucher decided he didnt like him and that was it for him.

Obviously the way we interpret the situations are different and thats ok ofcourse I think we just see it differently.

Reactions: InAbsensia

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

When Lehner was dealt there was a huge debate on whether we should've kept Lehner or Anderson but Lehner played significantly worse than expected and the organization decided to move on from him at that point. Yes, he did have a temper and there is no doubt about that but when that specific season started it was expected that Lehner would take over the role of starter and then Anderson could be let go or traded but we decided to stick with the older Anderson which turned out to be a good decision after all.

There was most definitely, 100%, a point where Anderson and Lehner were fighting for the starter role.

EDIT: Nevermind I don't think that was the point

Reactions: Mars

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Anyone who thinks they should have traded a legit starter to let two young unproven goalies fight it out is ridiculous. That’s not asset management. That’s stupidity . There was never a chance Anderson would be traded at that time

Reactions: robsenz

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
They should have traded Anderson and went with Bishop and Lehner. Anderson would have returned the most and it would have been the best possible asset management at the time. They made a decision because Lehner was unhappy yes, but it was the wrong one in my opinion. Id love a new management group that prioritizes asset management, especially as a rebuilding club.

Hammond got yanked after 2 playoff games after carrying the team to the playoffs, alot of loyalty was shown to Anderson in that moment in my opinion. Hammond really has just been injured and Boucher decided he didnt like him and that was it for him.

Obviously the way we interpret the situations are different and thats ok ofcourse I think we just see it differently.

I think that's easy to say now but back then we knew what Anderson was and Bishop was definitely good but hadn't proved much to be fair. Given the goaltending problems we've had in the past, keeping Anderson while still having one of Lehner or Bishop was the safe choice although I do understand the logic of trading Anderson at that point.

Looking back it was probably best to trade Lehner and keep Anderson/Bishop but Lehner was highly regarded in the organization (and understandably so). I wouldn't blame the team for keeping Anderson at that point personally.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If we had any interest in Lehner, he was a UFA this past offseason and basically a free asset. We didn't even blink.

I have zero regrets about trading Lehner. None. It was the right move.

I'd have liked to keep Bishop, though... If hindsight is 20/20, the correct move in 2013 would have been to trade Lehner, and keep an Andy-Bishop 1a-1b combo. Obviously, you can only say that with the benefit of hindsight. At the time, the Bishop trade made total sense.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I still say that the correct move would have been to tell Lehner to put his big boy pants in and do his time in Bingo while Anderson and Bishop played for us in the NHL.
I said it back then, and still maintain that should have been the way to go. It might have given Lehner an opportunity to mature mentally.

Reactions: Icelevel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad