Rumor: Craig Anderson: grumpy old man edition

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Well, he is complaining about it. Not saying he's going to pull a Yashin or anything but he should just be glad to be getting paid at this point.

So he shouldn’t have talked about not wanting locker room drama? Fair enough.

Maybe all the players do need to keep their mouth shut and play and not talk about anything, ever.

Reactions: coladin

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I would suggest an organization standing by a guy who has a Jeckel and Hyde career is above and beyond. It's not the defense suddenly sucking every second season.

I mean, I like Andy. I've defended him alot on here over the years. But damn....it's hard to be a blueliner or member of management not knowing which Andy is between the pipes from season to season. His only consistency, is his inconsistency.

Yeah the defense just sucks every season instead. :laugh:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Maybe all the players do need to keep their mouth shut and play and not talk about anything, ever.

Other players have talked about it as well, but in a more proactive way(JGP for example) while Andy's giving ultimatums. Which is the better approach?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
How do you explain Bryan Murray admitting Jason Spezza requesting a trade only after it happened?

And I thought maybe you would understand that while things are done internally, they also get leaked which is the reason why people like Bob Mackenzie have jobs and are known contacts in the NHL society and break trades before they happen. The logic is that players have no incentives to go to the media and admit that they have requested a trade which is why these things are leaked and then become rumors and speculation. If you're looking for players to got out of their way, to the media, and say that they want to be traded you are not understanding.

And let's be honest here, the last thing Dorion is doing right now is laughing. He probably hasn't laughed in a very long time. He has to sign/trade the three best players on a team that finished 30th last year while all of these players could walk for nothing.

Spezza didn't request a trade. He let it be known that he'd be ok with a trade because he was not likely to sign an extension the following year.

Not the same thing at all.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland

This would be preferable, yes.
It's especially galling when you see he pulled this (allegedly, allegedly...) with the Avalanche in the day, and has had episodes where he "pulls himself" or just slumps his shoulders or rolls his eyes when things don't go his way in the crease. Some stoicism and some work on his wraparounds would help, or maybe just a new goaltender coach, or work with the defensive crew.
Either way, .925 SP% this year or the team is toast.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
This would be preferable, yes.
It's especially galling when you see he pulled this (allegedly, allegedly...) with the Avalanche in the day, and has had episodes where he "pulls himself" or just slumps his shoulders or rolls his eyes when things don't go his way in the crease. Some stoicism and some work on his wraparounds would help, or maybe just a new goaltender coach, or work with the defensive crew.
Either way, .925 SP% this year or the team is toast.

Every personality is different. Tuuka Rask also has "slumped his shoulders" so did guys like Patrick Roy. My personal opinion, but Anderson has done absolutely nothing wrong besides playing very poorly last year so I find a lot of these comments about him odd, and just far too much reading into something that isn't there.

Reactions: Brethers

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Other players have talked about it as well, but in a more proactive way(JGP for example) while Andy's giving ultimatums. Which is the better approach?

What did JGP say? And Anderson is 37, maybe he's a little more blunt in his old age. I am not a blunt person myself, but my friend is, and some people can't stand him because of it. At least he is up front and honest and not just saying what people want to hear. Anderson basically said get your shit together room, what exactly is wrong with that?

Let's put the cards on the table, a lot of this stems from Anderson having a poor season so people are taking their digs at him. If he played well, people would probably be applauding Anderson's comments at this very moment.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
With Karlsson, Stone, Duchene staring at UFA .. a 30th place team made worse in the off season, and all the negativity surrounding the Sens re Hoffman and Lee.. I expect there will be some drama...I think Anderson has to try to be a leader here as well the team needs him now

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Man I totally remember that not being the case, but I was wrong. Thanks for posting that.

Boud, It looks like they could have been similar after all, my apologies. :)

Reading that article reminded me how much over sharing BM used to do. I mean tells everyone that Spezza requested a trade, even though Spezza never makes it public, then he goes on to say he doesn't want to trade him, and knows he's not going to get value for him. I mean why say any of that to the media?

Reactions: Sensung and Boud

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Man I totally remember that not being the case, but I was wrong. Thanks for posting that.

Reading that article reminded me how much over sharing BM used to do. I mean tells everyone that Spezza requested a trade, even though Spezza never makes it public, then he goes on to say he doesn't want to trade him, and knows he's not going to get value for him. I mean why say any of that to the media?
So that the shit return is justified and he isn't held accountable.

Reactions: JungleBeat

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site

Murray had probably just been diagnosed with cancer, it was made public less than two weeks later. Can't imagine having to deal with that and trying to make a trade and dealing with the media during a time like that.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
With Karlsson, Stone, Duchene staring at UFA .. a 30th place team made worse in the off season, and all the negativity surrounding the Sens re Hoffman and Lee.. I expect there will be some drama...I think Anderson has to try to be a leader here as well the team needs him now

I think they all underachieved though. If these players, including Anderson, play to their potential, this team will contend for the playoffs. Andy checked out quite early last year.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think they all underachieved though. If these players, including Anderson, play to their potential, this team will contend for the playoffs. Andy checked out quite early last year.
That wold be great.. I hope you are right. I don't see it unfortunately

Reactions: NyQuil

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
has had episodes where he "pulls himself" or just slumps his shoulders or rolls his eyes when things don't go his way in the crease.

To be fair, is there an NHL goalie who doesn't do those things at least sometimes? Luongo, for example, gives the "why me?" look to the sky after every single goal against.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
That wold be great.. I hope you are right. I don't see it unfortunately

You are not alone in that feeling!

I think a more experienced Chabot and Wideman healthy will help us in our own end, to get it out with their speed and finesse. Wideman seems highly motivated as are the impending UFAs

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
What did JGP say? And Anderson is 37, maybe he's a little more blunt in his old age. I am not a blunt person myself, but my friend is, and some people can't stand him because of it. At least he is up front and honest and not just saying what people want to hear. Anderson basically said get your **** together room, what exactly is wrong with that?

Let's put the cards on the table, a lot of this stems from Anderson having a poor season so people are taking their digs at him. If he played well, people would probably be applauding Anderson's comments at this very moment.

On top of the age factor, there's the fact that Anderson is a goalie. Goalies are different, they're kinda part of the team, and they're kinda not. There's certainly a mercenary/lonewolf mentality to being a goalie. I always had the impression that Anderson is weird and quiet. Not in a bad way. That's just how goalies are. They shouldn't be part of core leadership. This was just him signaling to the team and the rest of the players to get their shit together.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
On top of the age factor, there's the fact that Anderson is a goalie. Goalies are different, they're kinda part of the team, and they're kinda not. There's certainly a mercenary/lonewolf mentality to being a goalie. I always had the impression that Anderson is weird and quiet. Not in a bad way. That's just how goalies are. They shouldn't be part of core leadership. This was just him signaling to the team and the rest of the players to get their **** together.
Dunno about that. I've played on teams where the goalie was literally the man running the room, the leader of the team. But for the most part you're right.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You are not alone in that feeling!

I think a more experienced Chabot and Wideman healthy will help us in our own end, to get it out with their speed and finesse. Wideman seems highly motivated as are the impending UFAs

Wideman has been quoted as saying the post season rehab he did in California in April and May has him stronger and in better shape than at any point in his life

Chabot I believe is on an accelerated upward trajectory and in the back half of the season I hope he's on his way too establishing himself amongst the best of the best young D.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Tangent but I've never heard a guy say he's really not feeling all that good coming out of the off-season.

well he said it going in to the offseason. he said that I'm thinking 2+ months ago. So no its not a coming in to camp statement

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
well he said it going in to the offseason. he said that I'm thinking 2+ months ago. So no its not a coming in to camp statement

I'm just being funny.

It seems like everyone is always at "110%" or in the "best shape of their life."

Here's Heatley with the Wild back in 2013:

Much of the talk out of training camp has been about how Heatley has been working hard on his fitness and skating ability, and looks to be in the best shape of his life.

Minnesota Wild Player Previews 2013/2014: Dany Heatley

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
He check out in the off season or not
If you check out you stay quiet and train like a mad man to make up for that horrible last season

Also , as soon as there would be a rumour of Rinne or Quick or Crawford wanting out , you can be sure the athlete and the GM would be quick to deny that rumour if not true

In this case nobody triggered the fire alarm the morning of June 23rd so...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad