Confirmed with Link: Coyotes trade Strome and Perlini for Nick Schmaltz

Status
Not open for further replies.

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
I don't think anyone is denying that Schmaltz was the best player in the trade, and the better player at the moment, but I believe Strome will be a fine player for the Hawks but with Perlini you never know. A trade isn't won after five or six games, rather five or six years.

Certainly not, and I wasn't alluding to that from the original post. I simply stated that Schmaltz has been what we've needed. It's been what we've expected out of many of our up-and-coming players that just haven't panned out so far this year. And that's also assuming that Schmaltz can't get any better himself, or that he will maintain his current level of play. All unknowns but right now, it's been good for us.

Reactions: sundance74

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
It is funny how this truly winds up evolving into simple things that we are aware of, but can't always remedy easily:

1. We have some talent, but not as much as other teams and need to find ways to get the most out of that talent. The talk of Panik is a perfect example - he isn't terrible, but we have to play him a line above what he is ready for. In truth, doesn't that describe quite a number of our players? We simply get a lot out of our players, but...

2. There are some players that we can't get a lot out of. Strome. Duclair. Perlini. A lot of that is inconsistency with those players, and we should be looking to make moves to get better in those areas. That can either come from those players themselves, or we ship them out to get better fits. It would be helpful if the players would try to work on things that could make them less inconsistent, but I digress. The player's attitudes may also force our hand. Turris didn't want to play here. Eventually, Domi said he didn't want to be here. Is it not possible that Duclair, Perlini, and Strome had similar thoughts?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
to me it all boils down to drafting. We've sucked at it and as a result, we are where we are.

Frankly, we got lucky w/Keller & Chychrun, imagine where we'd be if we didn't have those two...it's frightening to think about actually. Until our scouting gets better and we begin to draft talent, we are going to be where we are.
If you're going to be a good team, you have to draft well. If we're going to draft as badly as we have in the last 10-11 drafts, you might as well trade all your picks for a great player.

Last 11 drafts - please view at your own risk. (above average players bolded)
2018 - Hayton, Bahl, Jenik, Emberson, Prosvetov, Callahan, Busby, Tendeck, Kirk
2017 - POJ, Westerlund, Entwistle, Schnarr, Crotty, Hoefenmayer, Karow, Steenbergen, Walterholm
2016 - Keller, Chychrun, Dineen, Kudla, Stewart
2015 - Strome, Merkley, Fischer, Capobianco, Hill, Warren, Looke, Garland, Kallgren
2014 - Perlini, MacInnis, Dvorak, Karlsson, Bunting, Mayo, Westlund, Fiegl, Kulda
2013 - Domi, Dauphin, Laplante, Clifton, Burke, Soleway
2012 - Samuelsson, Martinook, Melindy, Holland, Tikkinen, Fejes, Langhamer, Hache
2011 - Murphy, Ruutu, Lessio, Ruopp, Kessy, Dziurzynski, Fritsch, Larraza
2010 - Gormley, Visentin, Lane, Lindberg, Domingue
2009 - OEL, Brown, Lee, Szwarz, Weller, Bloodoff
2008 - Boedker, Tikhonov, Staal, Stone, Brodeur, Long, Hextall, Billingsley
2007 - Turris, Ross, MacLean, Gistedt, Ruzicka, Goncharov, Darling

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
to me it all boils down to drafting. We've sucked at it and as a result, we are where we are.

Frankly, we got lucky w/Keller & Chychrun, imagine where we'd be if we didn't have those two...it's frightening to think about actually. Until our scouting gets better and we begin to draft talent, we are going to be where we are.
If you're going to be a good team, you have to draft well. If we're going to draft as badly as we have in the last 10-11 drafts, you might as well trade all your picks for a great player.

Last 11 drafts - please view at your own risk. (above average players bolded)
2018 - Hayton, Bahl, Jenik, Emberson, Prosvetov, Callahan, Busby, Tendeck, Kirk
2017 - POJ, Westerlund, Entwistle, Schnarr, Crotty, Hoefenmayer, Karow, Steenbergen, Walterholm
2016 - Keller, Chychrun, Dineen, Kudla, Stewart
2015 - Strome, Merkley, Fischer, Capobianco, Hill, Warren, Looke, Garland, Kallgren
2014 - Perlini, MacInnis, Dvorak, Karlsson, Bunting, Mayo, Westlund, Fiegl, Kulda
2013 - Domi, Dauphin, Laplante, Clifton, Burke, Soleway
2012 - Samuelsson, Martinook, Melindy, Holland, Tikkinen, Fejes, Langhamer, Hache
2011 - Murphy, Ruutu, Lessio, Ruopp, Kessy, Dziurzynski, Fritsch, Larraza
2010 - Gormley, Visentin, Lane, Lindberg, Domingue
2009 - OEL, Brown, Lee, Szwarz, Weller, Bloodoff
2008 - Boedker, Tikhonov, Staal, Stone, Brodeur, Long, Hextall, Billingsley
2007 - Turris, Ross, MacLean, Gistedt, Ruzicka, Goncharov, Darling

Yep - hard to develop talent when there is a lack of players and/or talent to develop. I am being somewhat facetious here, as players like Murphy, Martinook, Boedker, Dvorak, Perlini, Strome, and Fischer all have reasonable potential in the NHL, but we are talking about (in order):

Murphy - likely a good 5/6 or average 3/4 D
Martinook - bottom sixer
Boedker - maybe a 2nd liner, but probably a very good 3rd liner
Dvorak - injury has hampered his development this year, but likely a 2nd/3rd line C
Perlini - disappears often, but has all the tools to be successful as a 3rd line wing
Strome - likely topping out as a #2 C, but still not quite certain what his ceiling is
Fischer - power forward with a lot of potential - in fact, he may be the best draft pick out of all of these players

We have rarely gotten lucky with late round picks - Michael Stone is the only player from the 3rd round or later to carve out a career (sorry Domingue, not counting a goalie in that). That is something that Chayka mentioned needing to fix. I think that the last 4 years show significant more promise on that front.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
So the organization holds no blame when players don't want to be here? If all the guys you mentioned didn't want to be here my question is why? Turris was told he needed to be a 4th line center and he said f*** that and rightfully so. Strome looked to have the same attitude. Domi should be our captain right now. What happened that made him want to leave? I realize no one knows the answer to that question if it's true which I don't believe but the coach and GM need to get players to believe in them and want to play for them. That's a big part of their job. We haven't had that here. In creating an organization that excels at player development, they need to start there. The GM and coach need to take ownership of these guys and their development.

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
the player's attitudes may also force our hand. Turris didn't want to play here. Eventually, Domi said he didn't want to be here. Is it not possible that Duclair, Perlini, and Strome had similar thoughts?

One of the first things Perlini said when getting to Chicago was how glad he was to be in a hockey town again. Won't be long before that hockey town is riding him hard. Careful what you ask for.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I can't argue the Turris as he was getting no minutes and on the 4th line, same w/Strome...but Domi was given ample opportunity here. We do need to find players that are capable of playing in a non-filled arena and in an area that isn't as passionate about hockey as other locals.

It would be nice if this organization could finally land some luck and get a superstar player...I'm talking top 10 in the league superstar, not top 100 in the league star player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It is funny how this truly winds up evolving into simple things that we are aware of, but can't always remedy easily:

1. We have some talent, but not as much as other teams and need to find ways to get the most out of that talent. The talk of Panik is a perfect example - he isn't terrible, but we have to play him a line above what he is ready for. In truth, doesn't that describe quite a number of our players? We simply get a lot out of our players, but...

2. There are some players that we can't get a lot out of. Strome. Duclair. Perlini. A lot of that is inconsistency with those players, and we should be looking to make moves to get better in those areas. That can either come from those players themselves, or we ship them out to get better fits. It would be helpful if the players would try to work on things that could make them less inconsistent, but I digress. The player's attitudes may also force our hand. Turris didn't want to play here. Eventually, Domi said he didn't want to be here. Is it not possible that Duclair, Perlini, and Strome had similar thoughts?
You just named 5 young kids that may have not wanted to play here. If that is true, I guess I have to ask why? I can understand maybe one, two at the most, but five would make me concerned. Of course we don't know the exact reasons, but there is a reason to watch this very close

Reactions: _Del_ and RemoAZ

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The thing is the Coyotes have had several players want out over a period of years during which the coach and GMs have changed several times. It is not strictly a staffing issue.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
You just named 5 young kids that may have not wanted to play here. If that is true, I guess I have to ask why? I can understand maybe one, two at the most, but five would make me concerned. Of course we don't know the exact reasons, but there is a reason to watch this very close

Because we are going nowhere fast... Why play here where you barely get playoff hockey nor is part of a proper rebuild with the aim to win in the future? It's only a matter of time before Keller wants out too. People can pretend whatever they like but it is glaringly obvious there is no winning mentality or winning drive in the franchise, not even a genuine hunger. That doesn't mean people hate being Coyotes either. Comfy is nice, up to a point... But if I were a young hungry player I would hate comfy.

Reactions: _Del_

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The thing is the Coyotes have had several players want out over a period of years during which the coach and GMs have changed several times. It is not strictly a staffing issue.
Staff philosophy on development and short-term focus on mediocre veterans to eke out points remains the same.

ctwin22 said:
but Domi was given ample opportunity here. We do need to find players that are capable of playing in a non-filled arena and in an area that isn't as passionate about hockey as other locals.
Domi got to watch his friends have their noses rubbed in it while we preferred our crap veterans in a clear exercise in futility because we didn't have the stomach to develop them. We continue to alienate our young players.
It isn't about the market. It's about our complete lack of a real plan, nevermind a viable one.
If we traded every young player and pick for established veterans and chased free agents to fill our holes and be competive, noone would be complaining. But we're too broke to pursue that plan. Refusing to utilize what little talent you have and can afford because you prefer to perpetually be an 85 pt team with "sticky" "good guys" with a 6% chance of making the playoffs if everything plays out perfectly to be bounced in the first round instead of a 75 point team that develops young talent is idiotic.

Reactions: CLW and RemoAZ

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
We do need to find players that are capable of playing in a non-filled arena and in an area that isn't as passionate about hockey as other locals.

They need players like Doan and Yandle, players who are talented, confident in their abilities and relish the challenge of taking a lowly franchise and putting them on the map. Players who are less concerned about preaching the the choir and more concerned about converting non-believers!

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
They need players like Doan and Yandle, players who are talented, confident in their abilities and relish the challenge of taking a lowly franchise and putting them on the map. Players who are less concerned about preaching the the choir and more concerned about converting non-believers!

Except Doan and Yandle were also capable of looking completely disinterested and tuned-out depending on the extant circumstances.

In 2012 it wasn't Doan and Yandle that was sparking the Coyotes, it was Ray Whitney and Adrian Aucoin. It was also Vrbata not having to be a driving force on the team, and a good balance of seasoned veteran players and youth - not to mention Mike Smith having what we now know is an extremely uncharacteristically consistent season.

In short, we had a great room that season. In the seasons since, whatever magic we had in there has more or less vanished. Not saying it's a poisoned room, but it seems very prone to whatever winds of fortune are blowing - there doesn't seem to be any resiliency or pride, at least not to me. The vibe I get is a bunch of twenty-somethings at a job they kinda like, ticking off the minutes until they can head to the bar and blow off steam.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
...Refusing to utilize what little talent you have and can afford because you prefer to perpetually be an 85 pt team with "sticky" "good guys" with a 6% chance of making the playoffs if everything plays out perfectly to be bounced in the first round instead of a 75 point team that develops young talent is idiotic.
_Del_, very good points. I do have to ask what do you think happened in Edmonton then? They had almost a top ten pick for ten years AND didn't make the playoffs for ten+ years, I might be wrong.

I guess I'm one of the VERY few people around here that says "get to the show and maybe catch lightning in a bottle." Phoenix is a VERY fickle sports town, like to go with the winner and really don't care what might happen down the road...

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
_Del_, very good points. I do have to ask what do you think happened in Edmonton then? They had almost a top ten pick for ten years AND didn't make the playoffs for ten+ years, I might be wrong.

I believe the standard answer here is "well, they are/were a different *kind* of idiotic"

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Staff philosophy on development and short-term focus on mediocre veterans to eke out points remains the same.

Domi got to watch his friends have their noses rubbed in it while we preferred our crap veterans in a clear exercise in futility because we didn't have the stomach to develop them. We continue to alienate our young players.
It isn't about the market. It's about our complete lack of a real plan, nevermind a viable one.
If we traded every young player and pick for established veterans and chased free agents to fill our holes and be competive, noone would be complaining. But we're too broke to pursue that plan. Refusing to utilize what little talent you have and can afford because you prefer to perpetually be an 85 pt team with "sticky" "good guys" with a 6% chance of making the playoffs if everything plays out perfectly to be bounced in the first round instead of a 75 point team that develops young talent is idiotic.
We were a 70 point team with tons of young players last year, you got your wish. Our bad drafting is mostly why young players have not worked out in AZ. Runblad/Gormley/Perlini/Strome/Duclair aren't working out anywhere else either. Domi yes, but he was good here as well. We could keep them all, play them, and be a 60 point team, would that be better, the Oiler development model?

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Except Doan and Yandle were also capable of looking completely disinterested and tuned-out depending on the extant circumstances.
Except literally every player that's ever existed is capable of looking completely disinterested and tuned out depending on the extent circumstance. I think you know what I meant and are picking knits here.

In 2012 it wasn't Doan and Yandle that was sparking the Coyotes, it was Ray Whitney and Adrian Aucoin. It was also Vrbata not having to be a driving force on the team, and a good balance of seasoned veteran players and youth - not to mention Mike Smith having what we now know is an extremely uncharacteristically consistent season.
I'd argue it was all of the above including Doan and Yandle but regardless I wasn't talking about the great playoff run of 2012, I was talking about the franchise needing talented players who actually want to be here. Players that relish the challenge of trying to take a no name team and putting them on the map.

Reactions: Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Except literally every player that's ever existed is capable of looking completely disinterested and tuned out depending on the extent circumstance. I think you know what I meant and are picking knits here.

I'd argue it was all of the above including Doan and Yandle but regardless I wasn't talking about the great playoff run of 2012, I was talking about the franchise needing talented players who actually want to be here. Players that relish the challenge of trying to take a no name team and putting them on the map.
Not to mention Hanzal and Bods

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Strome with a goal tonight. Schmaltz too.

Perlini still in dreamy dream land.

Hawks still haven't won since the trade. 0-8 now i think. What a disgrace. They better not win Hughes.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Strome with a goal tonight. Schmaltz too.

Perlini still in dreamy dream land.

Hawks still haven't won since the trade. 0-8 now i think. What a disgrace. They better not win Hughes.
Yes, but without Strome, the Jets would have scored more than 6 goals:) But they are 0-8, so maybe the trade isn't working out so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad