Confirmed with Link: Coyotes trade Strome and Perlini for Nick Schmaltz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
The Chucky-Schmaltz-Keller line is the most exciting line I’ve seen in the last decade watching this team. I love this trade more and more everyday. I’d look to upgrade Fischer next. He has all the physical tools, like Perlini, but he has a ten cent brain, like Perlini. (And I’m a Perlini fan.)

Reactions: hbk and MIG

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
Sample. Size. We're a loooooong way from knowing much of anything.

OK, so let's take 3 years of perlini and strome and in those years, tell me if they've shown what Schmaltz has shown over 5-6 games. If you can't see his quality in this small sample size" then you must be a Strome truther. Good day.

Reactions: MIG

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I don't want to trade Fischer. He's one of the few that will go to the net. He is unlike Perlini in that respect, as Perlini never went to the net and Fischer can control the puck in the corners. He's just too high right now, 2nd year pro who really should be on the 3rd line, but has to be on the 2nd line because we're short of talent.

We're missing an entire 2nd line. We need upgrades on Panik and Fischer. I think Fischer can get there in 2 years, but he's too young and inconsistent right now to fill a 2nd line role. Obviously I think Dvorak fills one of those spots and then we still need 1 2nd liner to fit in.

Gally/Schmaltz/Keller
Dvorak/Stepan/UPGRADE
Grabner/Hayton/Hinostroza
Crouse/Richardson/Fischer

This is better lineup than we have right now...and even though we don't have a superstar, that lineup should be able to compete legitimately for a playoff spot. Of course, I wouldn't mind trading Stepan for someone who can fill a role and then Dvorak plays 2nd line Center.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
OK, so let's take 3 years of perlini and strome and in those years, tell me if they've shown what Schmaltz has shown over 5-6 games. If you can't see his quality in this small sample size" then you must be a Strome truther. Good day.

He's looked better in his short time here than they ever did for a five or six game span.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
but man does Perlini look worthless. I have not seen one positive with regard to Perlini at this point

Yeeeup. He'll trick you though, I almost guarantee he'll score a couple pretty goals once he's back in the lineup, but then you won't see him again for 2 months. Too inconsistent and the hockey I.Q is massively lacking.

Glad Strome's looked good, though.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't want to trade Fischer.

Fischer is cheap and reasonably effective. Even if he stays exactly what he is he's a useful player out of a 2nd round pick.
We get those....close to never? It would be great if he keeps developing and turns into a top 6 player but even if not I'll take a tweener with size.

Frustration with Perlini made more sense because he truly was nearly useless this season. Where as Fischer has had plenty of good games this season even when not scoring.

Forwards peak around 23. We trade way too many of them before that.
It's not quite the same since Schmaltz is still young himself, but we should generally stop looking to move people before then :laugh:

Reactions: RemoAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

He's looked better in his short time here than they ever did for a five or six game span.
I don't think anyone is denying that Schmaltz was the best player in the trade, and the better player at the moment, but I believe Strome will be a fine player for the Hawks but with Perlini you never know. A trade isn't won after five or six games, rather five or six years.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Fischer is cheap and reasonably effective. Even if he stays exactly what he is he's a useful player out of a 2nd round pick.
We get those....close to never? It would be great if he keeps developing and turns into a top 6 player but even if not I'll take a tweener with size.

Frustration with Perlini made more sense because he truly was nearly useless this season. Where as Fischer has had plenty of good games this season even when not scoring.

Forwards peak around 23. We trade way too many of them before that.
It's not quite the same since Schmaltz is still young himself, but we should generally stop looking to move people before then :laugh:
Where did you gets the stats that forwards peak around 23? I believe most peak around 25-28 and D later than that. I mean, you get the stars that produce right away, but the majority need time.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I don't think anyone is denying that Schmaltz was the best player in the trade, and the better player at the moment, but I believe Strome will be a fine player for the Hawks but with Perlini you never know. A trade isn't won after five or six games, rather five or six years.

So there is still hope for the Domi trade

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I disagree, both teams expected quick results. Bowman for sure, he isn't looking 5 or 6 years out, but 5 or 6 weeks. Bowmans job is in jepordy this year and Chayka's could be as well. Perlini has a better shot at being an NHL player than Strome, Hawks have some scrappy wingers and no C depth..

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I've been thinking about this quite a bit. Schmaltz is definitely the higher "impact" player currently. The question is: Will Strome ever match that level of impact? Obviously he'll have to do it in a different way, but I suppose it's still possible.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I disagree, both teams expected quick results. Bowman for sure, he isn't looking 5 or 6 years out, but 5 or 6 weeks. Bowmans job is in jepordy this year and Chayka's could be as well. Perlini has a better shot at being an NHL player than Strome, Hawks have some scrappy wingers and no C depth..
Strome is one of those guys you play with that has little speed and goes relatively unnoticed, but quietly can make an impact on the score sheet. Having said that, I can also see him failing miserably.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Yes, Panik doesn't need to be in the top 6, much like Fischer doesn't need to be in the top 6...conversely Stepan doesn't need to be in the top 6 either. We need to begin pushing guys down in the lineup to improve the talent level.

Panik/Stepan/Fischer would be a good 3rd line and Grabner/Richardson/Hinostroza would be a great 4th line. We're just missing a 2nd line altogether as I think Chucky/Schmaltz/Keller make a good 1st line.

But we need to begin getting upgrades to improve overall talent level.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
His play hasn't changed in Chicago, he has a few points, but also compliments their train wreck defense.
I'll rank this right up there with "Tippett will get hired in five seconds because he's a top five coach", "Mike Smith is a top 5 goaltender, and it's a huge mistake to get out from his $6M multi-year contract", "Domi is a third, maybe second line, dime a dozen winger ", et al

It's like talking to a bad chatbot.

Reactions: CC96

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Toews played pretty much the whole last 5 minutes of that game tonight with Strome making a short cameo. I don't think they are any more impressed with him than I am. Toews played full PP in last few minutes.
Missed yesterday's game, but he had the second most icetime of the centers. They played Toews over 24 minutes in the game. I think they're 3-16 under Collington; he's going to ride the stars into the ground trying to get a right now.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If we're going to talk up Duclair's great start, let's not hide his recent play. Fair is fair. He was recently scratched for 4 in a row and then played 7 minutes in his first game back. He's not some missing peice here.
He was injured not scratched. Played with Wennberg and then Jenner in that game. He still has 8 goals on the season which is the same as Keller in fewer games played.

The thing is he's got a better chance of putting it together or simply being a depth scoring/PP winger as he is now than anything we got in a trade. We could have had Panik for a pick with his contract.

Same for Perlini. They're both inconsistent and have drive questions. Perlini has a ten cent head. Neither had trade value. No reason for a team with near-zero talent, no cash, and no playoff hopes to dump them before 250 games. There's also the perception problem when it comes to young guys being perpetually scratched and leads to several asking for tickets out of town. Does Max want out if he and Duke weren't jerked around for three years first? Do happy players produce more? Seems natural. Is that part of our problem? If we alienate and crush players, it seems natural we aren't getting the best out of them (see: Domi's last few years compared to his rookie year).
We're in a negative feedback loop. Player is cold/inexperienced makes gaffes. Coach gives up on player. Player gives up on coach.
It wouldn't matter if we had money to go out and buy talent. But we don't. So something has to change with out short-sighted philosophy.

Even if Duke never improves, I'd rather take that chance and have Duke buried on a sheltered fourth line and PP with his four PP (would lead team), eight goals total than drop him for nothing in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad