Confirmed with Link: Coyotes trade Strome and Perlini for Nick Schmaltz

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

Can't skate or perform in this league.

One goal, plus one in a 6-3 loss.

Hawks have 3 wins in their last nineteen games, but go ahead and continue to blame it all on Strome and his eight games.

Can't help but notice defensive stalwarts Keller and Schmaltz were -3 in a 4-3 game. That line is -8 in the last four games.

ETA Bonus footage of him getting separation and beating a top five goalie with a backhand:

Last edited:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Yes, but without Strome, the Jets would have scored more than 6 goals:) But they are 0-8, so maybe the trade isn't working out so well.
Did you see Schmaltz playing the defense you said Strome never did? Nope but at least he's on a scoring line not wasting away in a role he's not suited for. Chicago is a tire fire right now and still closer to being a contender than we are.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Did you see Schmaltz playing the defense you said Strome never did? Nope but at least he's on a scoring line not wasting away in a role he's not suited for. Chicago is a tire fire right now and still closer to being a contender than we are.
Yes, Schmaltz is way better on D, pressures the puck, forechecks, back checks. Chicago is way further away than we are to contending, its over in Chicago.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Look at that, both franchises happy with their trade.

I'd call that a win-win.
Not happy with it. Strome has found the confidence that the Coyotes stripped from him. I watched his game last night and he was fantastic. He was rewarded with a promotion to Kane's line. I won't be surprised if he stays there.

I expect he'll outscore Schmaltz next season and every season after.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm happy for Strome. And I won't lie, I'm happy for myself in a small way because my long-held opinion on his value seems to be validated - at least in this small sample size - so I don't have to fish out my well-worn recipe for crow. :D

That said, I continuously marvel at how we spend so much time talking about departed players around here. I'm almost surprised that there aren't active threads bemoaning how the franchise let Teemu Selanne and Daniel Briere go. :laugh:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not happy with it. Strome has found the confidence that the Coyotes stripped from him. I watched his game last night and he was fantastic. He was rewarded with a promotion to Kane's line. I won't be surprised if he stays there.

I expect he'll outscore Schmaltz next season and every season after.
Well, the one positive about Strome playing well shows we can develop kids, but we don't put them in a position to succeed. I'm really happy for Strome.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yes, but without Strome, the Jets would have scored more than 6 goals:) But they are 0-8, so maybe the trade isn't working out so well.
Give it a break Cobra, you are sounding more and more like Nash.:)You have always said you have to put a player into a possession to succeed. That was NEVER the case with Strome under RT.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Well, the one positive about Strome playing well shows we can develop kids, but we don't put them in a position to succeed. I'm really happy for Strome.

No we can't develop kids. If we could we would not have traded a potential first line center before he was fully developed.

That is *one* of the problems highlighted by this trade.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don't see this trade as either making or breaking this franchise. As for Strome, I wish him well. I don't think that he thrives in Chicago because he is surrounded by better talent. I think that he thrives in Chicago because he is protected by better talent.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yes, Schmaltz is way better on D, pressures the puck, forechecks, back checks. Chicago is way further away than we are to contending, its over in Chicago.
Your top five irreplaceable coach is still unemployed. Your irreplaceable, top five, bargain $6M cap contract goalie has a .894 save % and finally got his season-average GAA under 3.00 last week. Your third line, dime a dozen winger has a ppg season over thirty games in while playing C for another franchise. Your defensive stalwart Schmaltz hasn't scored even strength and is -6 since the trade and looks lost in his own zone.

Maybe baseball is more of your sport?

Last edited:

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Your top five irreplaceable coach is still unemployed. Your irreplaceable, top five, bargain $6M cap contract goalie has a .894 save % and finally got his season-average GAA under 3.00 last week. Your third line, dime a dozen winger has a ppg season over thirty games in while playing C for another franchise. Your defensive stalwart Schmaltz hasn't scored even strength and is -6 since the trade and looks lost in his own zone.

I tend to agree with you on a lot of different things, but fretting over Dylan Strome is not one of them.

It will be interesting to see what Dylan can do with a full year in Chicago, but turning your nose up at Nick Schmaltz because he hasn't scored five-on-five is weird to me. If all of his goals were five-on-five and he didn't score anything on the power play, would we be picking on him for that? It just seems that we are looking for reasons to assume we are going to lose this trade. Nick Schmaltz has been instrumental to our power play, which was a huge need. He's also been a tremendous addition to a top-line which we haven't had in a long time. Picking on him for 5 on 5 scoring when our entire team is dead last in that department is kind of irrelevant, it's obviously not his fault and definitely falls on the shoulders of the coaching staff.

A lot of Coyotes fans tend to focus on the negatives because it's that's what we are used to, and I get that. With the ownership news coming out lately, we are only focusing on the fact that we have moved to the Central which would make a transition to Texas much easier, instead of the news regarding a potential new owner that could be finalized within the month.

With personnel transactions (I'm guilty of this too) we watch departed players begin to put up numbers with their new teams and begin to sulk. Domi is the dagger, Strome could be another, but as of now he is being out-scored by the player we acquired for him.

I wish Domi and Strome could have worked out here as well, they didn't. Domi wanted a change of scenery, who knows what Strome wanted. I blame our coaching staff, it falls on them, but you're going to do nothing but stress yourself out if you continue to fret the departed.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

He's too busy managing larger things - like the operations associated with Seattle getting up and running for 2021-22 season. I don't think he is in a position to return to coaching, considering he will have oversight over the Seattle team, plus their minor league affiliates and getting things taken care of with the city for the arena, etc.

That's what happens when you are good at something - you usually have responsibilities added to your list.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I tend to agree with you on a lot of different things, but fretting over Dylan Strome is not one of them.

It will be interesting to see what Dylan can do with a full year in Chicago, but turning your nose up at Nick Schmaltz because he hasn't scored five-on-five is weird to me. If all of his goals were five-on-five and he didn't score anything on the power play, would we be picking on him for that? It just seems that we are looking for reasons to assume we are going to lose this trade. Nick Schmaltz has been instrumental to our power play, which was a huge need. He's also been a tremendous addition to a top-line which we haven't had in a long time. Picking on him for 5 on 5 scoring when our entire team is dead last in that department is kind of irrelevant, it's obviously not his fault and definitely falls on the shoulders of the coaching staff.

A lot of Coyotes fans tend to focus on the negatives because it's that's what we are used to, and I get that. With the ownership news coming out lately, we are only focusing on the fact that we have moved to the Central which would make a transition to Texas much easier, instead of the news regarding a potential new owner that could be finalized within the month.

With personnel transactions (I'm guilty of this too) we watch departed players begin to put up numbers with their new teams and begin to sulk. Domi is the dagger, Strome could be another, but as of now he is being out-scored by the player we acquired for him.

I wish Domi and Strome could have worked out here as well, they didn't. Domi wanted a change of scenery, who knows what Strome wanted. I blame our coaching staff, it falls on them, but you're going to do nothing but stress yourself out if you continue to fret the departed.

My take on his comments were that Strome was getting flak for the same things (with less opportunity). So there should not be a double standard that one is held to and not the other. Ps.. I agree with the 5v5 coaching issue being an issue for this team and the coaching staff in general needing to be better.

Also agree... Yotes fans in particular should not propagate rumors about Houston especially when there are more solid rumors about good news with a new owner here in AZ. Focus on the good and forget about the unfounded stuff that the haters like to spout.

Reactions: RemoAZ

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Regarding why players don't want to play here after a while - think about it for a second. In juniors, they played to fuller houses. If those stadiums held 6,000 people, they would be filled nightly. Now they are playing in front of 3,000 additional people, but they see empty seats. That is a change that they need to get used to.

I already mentioned that there is probably a thought process with playing in Phoenix where people associate this idea that they can just come in and be given a position, b/c we haven't made the playoffs recently and some energy needs to be provided. However, we have never been lucky enough to get a McDavid, Eichel, or Matthews. We get players who will take a little bit of time to develop into that. There is likely a mindset that they are already at the level where they can get significant minutes, but that isn't the case.

Here are some excerpts from Connor McDavid's first NHL game in October of 2015 against St Louis:

He got better and he looked more comfortable as the game went along.

"I thought his best period was his third," McLellan said. "He was dangerous coming through. I think if you lose your composure or lose your focus, that tends to be your worst period, so it says a lot about him as a young player. He could stick with it. When we needed him to be an offensive threat, he was. He almost scored there in the third."
Perhaps it was what McDavid didn't do that made the biggest impact on his teammates and coach. He didn't get caught napping in the neutral zone, cherry-picking at the far blue line, or burned in the defensive zone. His minus-1 was the result of an empty-net goal.

Though he had but a few flashes of brilliance with the puck, he had a steady, consistent game without it. For an 18-year-old offensive player making his NHL debut, that isn't a small thing.

"He's not thinking, 'I've got to get 120 points to prove I am who I am,'" Oilers forward Matt Hendricks said. "He's trying to play the game to win a hockey game as a team. I see a guy who's coming back. He's not cheating. The puck is not in McDavid's net all night. The best players in the League play that way, and they end up winning Cups."

McDavid might one day do that with the Oilers. The expectation is that he will. For now, he needs time to get to know who he is and what he can be in the NHL. He deserves it. Everyone does, especially at 18 years old.

"We're not going to put ridiculous pressure and expectations [on McDavid]," center Ryan Nugent-Hopkinssaid. "We just want him to feel like he's one of the guys, and he is one of the guys."

Think about the idea of getting to know who he is and what he can be in the NHL. Do any of us know exactly what Strome is at this point? Is he a 1st line C? 2nd line C? PP guy? Guy who you want on the ice with the game on the line? I think that what Strome thinks he is and what our staff thinks he is are on two opposite sides of the spectrum. He thought he was a legit first line talent, which he may be in the future, but not at this moment.

McDavid is now averaging close to 23 minutes a game, yet in his first year, he was averaging just under 19 minutes a game. I can't guarantee that he was automatically put on the first line and hasn't looked back, but you put him in situations that can be handled. As he proves that he can do that, you add in other layers of minutes for him to showcase his skills. The problem is that we never saw Strome get to that point, even on the 4th line. For someone who is that close to McDavid and could ask McDavid if he started off on the first line right away or did he have to prove that he could handle situations before moving up, I can't buy into the idea that Strome never equated the idea of doing the little things on the 3rd and 4th line so that you can be a top line player down the line. Maybe our issue is that the kids we had drafted wanted some sort of instant gratification before ever being in the league, and when they didn't get it, they reverted into the thought that it sucks to be here. We came into this season stating that it was our goal to be a playoff team. Chicago may not be in that position since they are starting the action of re-building. We still thought there was a lot more for Strome to learn. I am sure Chicago also has that idea.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Tip is running a new franchise, he moved up, not laterally. Smith is older now but even he is less injured than Raanta. Domi has had early success, good for him, but he isn't a 1C. I hate to tell you but +/- is more of a team stat than an individual stat, even you should know this by now. Schmaltz is an average defensive forward which makes him world class compared to Strome. Last point, since the trade, the Coyotes are a much better team, you can't deny that. True they have lost 3 in a row but they were in every game.

The Hawks are worse since the trade, you can't deny that either. I think Strome is getting some PP minutes and time on a line with kane which is helping his production. I also think he is being gifted minutes because Bowman made the trade and is telling his young coach to play Strome. If you watch any Hawks games, Strome is still way behind the play all over the ice. He isn't helping the team win. They are playing him through it, something Tocc wouldn't do because of the potential for losses piling up. By the way, I do watch, and have Hawks season tickets.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't see this trade as either making or breaking this franchise. As for Strome, I wish him well. I don't think that he thrives in Chicago because he is surrounded by better talent. I think that he thrives in Chicago because he is protected by better talent.
I guess Perlini should get 40 goals next year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Schmaltz is a damn fine player and I don't think anyone will deny that. We could have done much worse in that trade. I'm fine with this trade, but the only thing that I'm unhappy with is that the organization failed the player, not the other way around.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Unlike Jakey53, I think that Perlini's upside is limited. I think that he was a throw in to make the deal work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad