Confirmed with Link: Coyotes trade Strome and Perlini for Nick Schmaltz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Strome, due to his lack of quickness and speed, needs a system suited to him. I wish him well but have seen no reason yet to change my opinion that he would have continued to struggle here.

Yea, nice to play with Kane. It takes loads of responsibility off of Strome’s shoulders.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We can't all be Selke finalists like Keller and Schmaltz and their 5v5 defensive prowess, with their exciting flybys, screening their own goalies, both negative five in the last three games. The team still has found use for all the other one-dimensional forwards.

I don't think you're watching the games either...
Then you need to watch Stromes play away from the puck. Keller/Schmaltz are way better on D compared to Strome, its not close.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Strome, due to his lack of quickness and speed, needs a system suited to him. I wish him well but have seen no reason yet to change my opinion that he would have continued to struggle here.

Yea, nice to play with Kane. It takes loads of responsibility off of Strome’s shoulders.
His play hasn't changed in Chicago, he has a few points, but also compliments their train wreck defense.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
It's more to it than that Strome didn't fit in. We didn't develop him/his style didn't fit us. We sold him cheap. We sold him for a winger. We sold him to keep our mediocre season going, which depresses our chances to get much needed upgrades from the draft to plug gigantic holes on our roster.

Lessons need to be learnt here.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Just recalling that awesome young core of top offensive prospects ...

From the Hockey News
There is tons of potential up front thanks to the high ceiling of skill possessed by players such as Keller, Max Domi and Strome. Not only that, but there are a lot of kids, so the failing of one just makes room for an opportunity of another (we didn’t even have room for Nick Merkley).

If the Coyotes’ kids can grow together, they will be a formidable opponent capable of throwing different looks at opponents. As long as they get the right guidance along the way, this could be one of the most dangerous Arizona outfits ever.

Their roster:

Domi - Keller - Duclair
Dvorak - Stepan - Rieder
Perlini - Strome - Fischer
Crouse - Cousins - Martinook

The change over is ridiculous. Same results. Probably less potential.

Reactions: RemoAZ

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
So, is someone like RT the right coach for us? He seems good with a veteran team that can play his style, but is he the right coach to bring players into the league? We certainly don't have the players to compete in the playoffs.

Edit: Not sure if the change over is ridiculous. The players we have drafted do not fit in with what we are currently trying to do, or need to develop to be able to do it.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Do players have to be so specifically specialized to be able to play effectively for Tocchet? So much so that we had to trade away nearly our entire roster and most of our young players to find guys who can play for him? Roughly what percentage of NHL players are able to fit in and play for Tocchet? Are we only interested in looking at 20% of hockey players on earth because there are so many tick marks that have to be checked?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
are not Tocchet players

I think that's mostly a post hoc justification and not even close to the main reason any of those guys were moved save maybe Strome. It's probably not even for Strome, they just wanted Schmaltz more. Like drafting Hayton they had better be right.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If we're going to talk up Duclair's great start, let's not hide his recent play. Fair is fair. He was recently scratched for 4 in a row and then played 7 minutes in his first game back. He's not some missing peice here.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Perlini, Strome, Domi, and Duclair are not Tocchet players, I guess. Apparently Schmaltz, Galchenyuk and Panik are? What is even the difference, here? I’m confused?

Perlini sucks. Gotta be one of the dumbest players I've seen. I see this playing out the same way as Duclair in Chicago. He won't be qualified and he'll get a cheap deal elsewhere in the summer.

This trade is very quickly becoming Strome for Schmaltz. I like that.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If we're going to talk up Duclair's great start, let's not hide his recent play. Fair is fair. He was recently scratched for 4 in a row and then played 7 minutes in his first game back. He's not some missing peice here.
Wait, what? All world Duke scratched 4 games in a row...must be the coach. Strome and Perlini will be scratched as well once the smoke clears. Keep in mind that Strome/Perlini might be getting TOI and line combos because it was Bowmans latest hail merry, and he could be assisting his young coach with roster decisions. Bowman doesn't want to look bad now does he:)

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
To be fair, I think part of that was injuries, but still, 1 goal in his last 9. He's just another one-dimensional, streaky winger.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Duclair had his chances. I thought for sure he would turn it around with the Yotes. I don't think he is the missing piece anywhere.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It just blows my mind that some kids work so hard to get to the NHL and then totally turn off the engine once they get there. Perlini is a perfect example of these. He’s been floating since October. I know the paycheques are rolling in now but they’d be even bigger with results.

Reactions: Lilhoody

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Wait, what? All world Duke scratched 4 games in a row...must be the coach. Strome and Perlini will be scratched as well once the smoke clears. Keep in mind that Strome/Perlini might be getting TOI and line combos because it was Bowmans latest hail merry, and he could be assisting his young coach with roster decisions. Bowman doesn't want to look bad now does he:)
Sorry, I don't see that happening for Strome. He is legit.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I thought that the questions of whether or not the coach is right for the team was supposed to be answered once we got rid of the previous coach.

Anyhow, it is never as easy as people want to make it. The NHL is a results-oriented business and if the results aren't there, then you move on. We haven't been in the position to surround Strome with a generational talent like Kane, and the players who are working toward being the next Kane are still developing. Strome is also still developing, but whatever it was that was being developed wouldn't show up. Was it the system? Was it the coach? Was it Strome himself?

Did we not give him the chance to play with top line players? Sure. Did he give himself the chance to prove that he was going to put the effort in to be a top line player? I think that is also something that happened as well. We are in a slightly different mindset than Chicago is right now. Chicago is trying to rebuild now. We started the rebuild 3-4 seasons ago with the Yandle trade. I think we simply didnt want to wait any longer after waiting for 3-4 seasons for Strome around without completely sacrificing other areas of our team.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Perlini a healthy scratch tonight.

In other news, good to see C. Murphy back in the lineup.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Toews played pretty much the whole last 5 minutes of that game tonight with Strome making a short cameo. I don't think they are any more impressed with him than I am. Toews played full PP in last few minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad