Confirmed with Link: Coyotes trade Strome and Perlini for Nick Schmaltz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Systems, on the other hand, do make a difference. For Tocchet’s Rockets system players need to skate well and fast. I think this was the wrong system for Strome, so I’ll give y’all that.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
This is why watching games instead of boxscore watching is important. Strome has played nearly every shift with Cat, who scored 25+ last year and is better than Crouse or Archibald. Sorry to bust your bubble. Toews and Saad are connected at the hip. Kane and Anisimov have good chemistry. Cat and Strome have good chemistry. So there's three lines. Collington has a line blender, so there's a lot of mixing, but those have been typical matches. Kane gets double shifted frequently; he had over 27 minutes last game. Strome's last goal was with Kane on his wing (Kane did not factor in the goal). Strome was able to mind-control Seabrook into passing a puck to an undefended Duck in the slot, so he's obviously responsible for not being a plus on the night.

First it was "well, of course he has some points, he's playing with Kane". Now he's been given his own line with Cat, and it is "Kane has more minutes, so Strome has obviously been demoted and playing with scrubs".

Strome looks great. He has three goals and an assist in six games. He looks good with Kane. He looks good with Cat. He looks good with talent. He is creating on nearly every shift. He looked good here briefly with Domi.

Why as an organization we are determined to turn our 3rd overalls into a fourth liners instead of using them in a manner that is beneficial is completely beyond me.

He has looked real good offensively with Keller. He also puts up a great screen for his size. Too bad it was on Hill.

And he and Debrincat played together in juniors. So, you are telling me that Debrincat > Kane? They both play RW, so why is Debrincat considered "top line?"

To me, top line means that you are playing significantly higher minutes than other players. Will Debrincat be the top line RW once Kane is gone? Maybe. If the entire point was to say Debrincat > Crouse or Archibald, then I thank you and recommend that you replace Sherlock Holmes with your abilities to unravel mysteries that are clear. If the statement that you are trying to make is that Debrincat is a top line player who is getting 2nd or 3rd line time as a result of having greater talent ahead of him, then I also say, "no shit..." but that also tells me that when we are expecting Strome to be able to contribute, and the way that he contributes best is to put better talent around him at all times, we unfortunately are still not quite at that talent level yet as a team to where we can put Strome on our "top line" and still mask his deficiencies and others deficiencies up and down the lineup. Maybe Strome and Debrincat have great chemistry b/c not many players can have as good chemistry with Strome as believed, and we didn't want to shake up chemistry that other players may have had in an effort to create something with Strome that wasn't there.

Let me ask, if Strome is getting minutes with "top line guys," why would his minutes be hovering around 8th on the team amongst forwards on a game-by-game basis? This last game against Vegas was the first time that Strome was even in the conversation for "top line" minutes. If it continues that way, then good for Strome. Hopefully his attitude and approach have changed from what he brought here.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
And he and Debrincat played together in juniors. So, you are telling me that Debrincat > Kane? They both play RW, so why is Debrincat considered "top line?"
Again, it'd be easier to have a conversation if you watched a game instead of inventing facts to push a narrative.
Debrincat plays almost solely on his off-wing on the left side. Strome's time with Kane generally features Debrincat on the line as well. Strome is either on that line as the second line, or on the "third" line with Cat and a line-blender winger. Kane gets double -shifted a lot. When that guy stays out for entire powerplays and is double-shifted and gets over 20 and even 25 minutes a night, it's sort of useless to say, "I can agree to a point, but when players like Kane are receiving 25-33% more minutes, that doesn't guarantee that Strome is receiving top line teammates at all times". Especially when Strome plays almost every shift with Cat. I did see him on a 4v4 with Saad last game, briefly.
Good players look good regardless of who they play with.
I guess we can't really form an opinion on Schmaltz then until we see him play with Archibald and Kempe for a couple weeks to see how sticky he is, how many faceoffs he loses, and see many points he gets.

We were convinced Strome wouldn't fit in our system before we even tried. And if we were convinced, we should have dealt him this summer instead of waiting until we tanked his value and telegraphed our discontent by scratching him and burying him in the lineup. Double whammy.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Again, it'd be easier to have a conversation if you watched a game instead of inventing facts to push a narrative.
Debrincat plays almost solely on his off-wing on the left side. Strome's time with Kane generally features Debrincat on the line as well. Strome is either on that line as the second line, or on the "third" line with Cat and a line-blender winger. Kane gets double -shifted a lot. When that guy stays out for entire powerplays and is double-shifted and gets over 20 and even 25 minutes a night, it's sort of useless to say, "I can agree to a point, but when players like Kane are receiving 25-33% more minutes, that doesn't guarantee that Strome is receiving top line teammates at all times". Especially when Strome plays almost every shift with Cat. I did see him on a 4v4 with Saad last game, briefly.

I guess we can't really form an opinion on Schmaltz then until we see him play with Archibald and Kempe for a couple weeks and see how many points he gets.

We were convinced Strome wouldn't fit in our system before we even tried. And if we were convinced, we should have dealt him this summer instead of waiting until we tanked his value and telegraphed our discontent by scratching him and burying him in the lineup. Double whammy.
I agree we didn’t seem to really put Strome in favourable situations. That being said Schmaltz wasn’t available in the summer.

Reactions: rt

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Great post del. My largest issue with the trade is that we never got a good look, or any look with him with our top players. The return wasnt too bad and could have been much much worse. In fact I think we were able to raise his value ever so slightly this year. He had a handful of points with us with limited minutes, but was also much better on the dot and away from the puck than last season. I'm not sure what teams would have been willing to move for him in the offseason if it wasnt even clear if he was making the team out of camp. We absolutely did not know what type of player we had before we traded him though.

Reactions: Jakey53 and RemoAZ

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
hbk said:
That being said Schmaltz wasn’t available in the summer.​

Because of contract demands we'll also be hard pressed to meet? Hoffman, Lindholm, Hanifin, Ferland, O'Reilly, Berglund, Skinner, Pacioretty, Karlsson, etc. All moved this summer. They could find a deal somewhere if they were just going to get rid of him. No reason to hold onto Strome if our best backup plan was scratching him, playing him on wing centered by Richardson, or playing him with Archibald. Didn't suddenly gain value.

All these damned entitled kids who want an opportunity continue to plague our franchise.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

I guess we can't really form an opinion on Schmaltz then until we see him play with Archibald and Kempe for a couple weeks and see how many points he gets.

Who actually watches the games is so obvious isn't it? Strome was put in a role he simply isn't suited for here and a waste of his talent let alone the draft pick. He was put on a scoring line day one there and continues to look good consistently, If the current coaching staff can't incorporate different styles in the system we aren't any better off than we.were.with the last coach.

I like Schmaltz and am relieved he's doing well. I just wish Strome was given the same opportunity. Player development has to be addressed and if Strome tears it up with what Domi has done, we might see some changes there.

Hopefully they are able to sign Schmaltz and we don't get a Nylander situation.

CoyoteDave

Dec 12, 2016
Cave Creek
I am still not convinced that Tocchett is able to make adjustments to either the players he has or game situations. We shall see with the injuries we have. We have lost a lot of speed and forechecking with the injuries to Grabner and Stroza. If Kempe and Garland cannot keep up the forechecking and pressure on the other teams D. We may see a lot of play in our end. Time for Stepan and Gally to step it up.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Who actually watches the games is so obvious isn't it? Strome was put in a role he simply isn't suited for here and a waste of his talent let alone the draft pick. He was put on a scoring line day one there and continues to look good consistently, If the current coaching staff can't incorporate different styles in the system we aren't any better off than we.were.with the last coach.

I like Schmaltz and am relieved he's doing well. I just wish Strome was given the same opportunity. Player development has to be addressed and if Strome tears it up with what Domi has done, we might see some changes there.

I'm also wondering if Schmaltz is as good as he thinks he is and actually is worth that kind of contract. Good post.

Reactions: RemoAZ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Because of contract demands we'll also be hard pressed to meet? Hoffman, Lindholm, Hanifin, Ferland, O'Reilly, Berglund, Skinner, Pacioretty, Karlsson, etc. All moved this summer. They could find a deal somewhere if they were just going to get rid of him. No reason to hold onto Strome if our best backup plan was scratching him, playing him on wing centered by Richardson, or playing him with Archibald. Didn't suddenly gain value.

All these damned entitled kids who want an opportunity continue to plague our franchise.
I don’t think we will have an issue signing Schmaltz.

I think we will likely let season play itself out and we sign both Schmaltz and Keller to 6-7 year deals at similar $.

Reactions: Jakey53

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

So, is Strome the reason why Kane is double-shifted, or would Kane be double-shifted regardless of who is there?

Again, the argument remains the same - Strome needs more talent around him to make him better. Talent that we don't have the ability to double-shift yet (would you want Keller double-shifted on the regular?) or talent that we simply don't have who works well with Strome. Do you also not think that after time in practice and with the team that we wouldn't have seen who he may work well with and/or if Strome took the necessary steps to be a "top line" player? We weren't in an opportunity to add Debrincat to make Strome maximize his potential. We figured it was better to deal Strome off and maximize our team's assets without Strome. That simple.

Sure, we could have given him time with our top players. What if that didn't work? We lost value already with the pick and there is not a guarantee that the talent we surround him with would have helped expand it that much. In order for Strome to succeed right now, he has to be played with someone whom he had chemistry with dating back to juniors and basically one of the best American players to have ever played the game in the history of the game. Sorry that we didn't have those players for Strome to do that, as they are still developing and/or aren't quite that talented. Part of being the #3 OA pick means that you have gifts to make others better as well. He wasn't fitting the style and clearly it was something where it rubbed the coaching staff in the extreme wrong direction. Just be happy that we don't have to deal with planning around Strome all the time to make him better. Isn't that the exact opposite line of thinking to making someone earn their spot?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Just be happy that we don't have to deal with planning around Strome all the time to make him better.

Strome has a higher P/60 than Keller, OEL Galchenyuk, Grabner, Stepan, Richarsson, ... Anyone pretrade Coyotes.

Strome is scoring over 2G/60. Keller is 0.95G/60, in comparison. Schmaltz 1.35G/60. Richardson and Grabner 1.02G/60.

Thank goodness we never tried to plan around him. We already score too many goals.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Strome has a higher P/60 than Keller, OEL Galchenyuk, Grabner, Stepan, Richarsson, ... Anyone pretrade Coyotes.

Strome is scoring over 2G/60. Keller is 0.95G/60, in comparison. Schmaltz 1.35G/60. Richardson and Grabner 1.02G/60.

Thank goodness we never tried to plan around him. We already score too many goals.
What $ figure do u think Strome is earning next go round?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Depends on how he looks over the rest of the season and next. He's still on his ELC for another year. So a lot less than Schmaltz in 2019-20.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

So what? Duclair could score too. Strome will some points with more TOI and better line mates. Its not his points, its what he gives up all over the ice withour the puck. Nobody questions his ability to produce points, its the rest of his game that is the problem. The Hawks are 0-whatever since the trade and are a defensive train wreck, Strome makes it worse, he isn't anywhere near a complete NHL player.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We can't all be Selke finalists like Keller and Schmaltz and their 5v5 defensive prowess, with their exciting flybys, screening their own goalies, both negative five in the last three games. The team still has found use for all the other one-dimensional forwards.

I don't think you're watching the games either...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think fear was also a motive. Keller and Chucky were going nowhere fast, Tocchet didn't like/couldn't develop Strome and the wheels were coming off our season with a string of ugly losses.

We have an exciting first line, but we are also huffing and puffing to remain mediocre.
Our first line consists of three wingers who think they can play C, want to play C, but none can. None can win FO's, they are always chasing the puck. May as well use Richardson as our top line C, maybe we can get more possession. If you can believe it, Panik, Richardson and Cousins were the only players over 50% possession rating, and both Richardson and Panik were on the PK. Richardson is having one hell of a year, better than I would have ever imagined.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We can't all be Selke finalists like Keller and Schmaltz and their 5v5 defensive prowess, with their exciting flybys, screening their own goalies, both negative five in the last three games. The team still has found use for all the other one-dimensional forwards.

I don't think you're watching the games either...
Exactly. Not sure what is going to happen with Strome, but his D play is much better than what some are saying on this board.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I agree. I'm not pissed that we traded Strome, rather not giving him a legit shot at what he does best. I think we all knew RT did not like or trust Strome for whatever reason, and that Strome would be traded sooner rather than later. Kids make mistakes, grow from their mistakes and mature at different times. Any way, we have Schmaltz, a good player, so it's onward and upward.

Reactions: RemoAZ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad