Confirmed with Link: Coyotes trade Strome and Perlini for Nick Schmaltz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Have you seen what Schmaltz has done for us? Aside from completely and utterly single handedly reviving-ly our PP from the brink of death, he's provide a balance and consistency that strome and Perlini haven't shown. Strome has had nice stretches, but he is what he is. No one will ever sell me on him. Funny how Chicago boards are crying patience with these guys. So it takes 6 years for a lottery pick to finally become a productive nhler? Happy for the trade.
Sample. Size. We're a loooooong way from knowing much of anything.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The way the Hawks are playing there is a good chance they are selecting a highly touted C in the 2019 draft. This will push Strome down the depth chart within 2 seasons. Is he at risk of not Being protected in expansion draft? I know it's 3 years away but I'm curious how this plays out.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The way the Hawks are playing there is a good chance they are selecting a highly touted C in the 2019 draft. This will push Strome down the depth chart within 2 seasons. Is he at risk of not Being protected in expansion draft? I know it's 3 years away but I'm curious how this plays out.
Who else would they protect?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Who else would they protect?
Keith
Seabrook
Kane
Toews
Saad
Debrincat
Jokiharu

Yep I think Strome stays. Unless they have 4 D they want/need to protect. Seabrook deal is problematic.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Keith
Seabrook
Kane
Toews
Saad
Debrincat
Jokiharu

Yep I think Strome stays. Unless the year have 4 D they want/need to protect. Seabrook deal is problematic.
Why protect Seabrook or Keith?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
NTC/NMC clauses. Unless they waive.

Keep in mind I also expect Panarin to sign in Chicago this off season. So that’s another name.
I thought the consensus on Panarin and Bobrovsky was that they wanted to play on the Coasts?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I thought the consensus on Panarin and Bobrovsky was that they wanted to play on the Coasts?
My theory is the Hawks didn’t want to pay Schmaltz $6M per as this would inhibit their ability to sign Panarin. I think he’s coming back.

Reactions: RemoAZ

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Keith
Seabrook
Kane
Toews
Saad
Debrincat
Jokiharu

Yep I think Strome stays. Unless they have 4 D they want/need to protect. Seabrook deal is problematic.

Noone would take Seabrook with that contract today, nevermind as a 36 year old with three years at almost $7M caphit left. Also owed $15.5M in actual dollars at the draft. He looks like ass on-ice. He has zero reason not to waive.

Keith will be 38 with two years left. Hard to imagine he'd be vulnerable either.

If a new center comes in, it just means someone eventually replaces Anisimov which would happen anyway.

Reactions: Jakey53

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Noone would take Seabrook with that contract today, nevermind as a 36 year old with three years at almost $7M caphit left. Also owed $15.5M in actual dollars at the draft. He looks like ass on-ice. He has zero reason not to waive.

Keith will be 38 with two years left. Hard to imagine he'd be vulnerable either.

If a new center comes in, it just means someone eventually replaces Anisimov which would happen anyway.
Agree completely. Chicago has limited roster flexibility.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
My theory is the Hawks didn’t want to pay Schmaltz $6M per as this would inhibit their ability to sign Panarin. I think he’s coming back.
I mean, I don't think we really want to pay Schmaltz 6mil either

Reactions: CLW

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Another goal by Strome, getting Stepan like TOI.

A very nice goal as well. This was a smart trade by the Blackhawks. They get a basically free roll of the dice on a player with upside to jump start their rebuild after successful cup runs.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Completely false. He's playing on a scoring line there. Nothing like what he did here. Not comparable at all.

I can agree to a point, but when players like Kane are receiving 25-33% more minutes, that doesn't guarantee that Strome is receiving top line teammates at all times. If the minutes were closer, then yes, I agree.

But to just blatantly call out "incorrect" when his time with the top line may only be with the top PP unit (which should have an advantage with one additional player), it is really not selling the argument. They put him on the top line his first game and pulled him away from that line more and more.

Again, maybe it was the attitude that affected his minutes here. Attitude is everything.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
This is why watching games instead of boxscore watching is important. Strome has played nearly every shift with Cat, who scored 25+ last year and is better than Crouse or Archibald. Sorry to bust your bubble. Toews and Saad are connected at the hip. Kane and Anisimov have good chemistry. Cat and Strome have good chemistry. So there's three lines. Collington has a line blender, so there's a lot of mixing, but those have been typical matches. Kane gets double shifted frequently; he had over 27 minutes last game. Strome's last goal was with Kane on his wing (Kane did not factor in the goal). Strome was able to mind-control Seabrook into passing a puck to an undefended Duck in the slot, so he's obviously responsible for not being a plus on the night.

First it was "well, of course he has some points, he's playing with Kane". Now he's been given his own line with Cat, and it is "Kane has more minutes, so Strome has obviously been demoted and playing with scrubs".

Strome looks great. He has three goals and an assist in six games. He looks good with Kane. He looks good with Cat. He looks good with talent. He is creating on nearly every shift. He looked good here briefly with Domi.

Why as an organization we are determined to turn our 3rd overalls into a fourth liners instead of using them in a manner that is beneficial is completely beyond me.

justin said:
Have you seen what Schmaltz has done for us?
He has looked real good offensively with Keller. He also puts up a great screen for his size. Too bad it was on Hill.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Even when he had Domi, they stick them with Rinaldo. We never gave Strome a real chance with our most talented players. This was very stupid of us. Schmaltz looks great, though, and only 12 months separate them.
I just think Schmaltz plays the style this organization seems focused on playing. I think when he became available Chayka was hellbent on Paying whatever it took to get it. Even if it meant overpaying in potential. It’s honestly hard to argue when you see how this team plays with Schmaltz in the elineup. We have an exciting first line.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Even when he had Domi, they stick them with Rinaldo. We never gave Strome a real chance with our most talented players. This was very stupid of us. Schmaltz looks great, though, and only 12 months separate them.
I still say Strome will perennially outscore Schmaltz.

The Coyotes are a team with little talent/depth that continuously hampers the talent on the roster in effort to be competitive - yet misses the playoffs every year - then trades said talent for reasons. That is how teams remain in the basement of the standings. The team drafts poorly and develops worse.

The only way to fix this is to buy UFAs to come here. Too bad the team has no money.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I just think Schmaltz plays the style this organization seems focused on playing. I think when he became available Chayka was hellbent on Paying whatever it took to get it. Even if it meant overpaying in potential. It’s honestly hard to argue when you see how this team plays with Schmaltz in the elineup. We have an exciting first line.
True, but the only problem is both Schmaltz and Chucky want to play C and both are much better on the wing, in my view anyway. I think Chucky is much closer to being a C than Schmaltz, but I do like how Chucky battles along the boards.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

I think fear was also a motive. Keller and Chucky were going nowhere fast, Tocchet didn't like/couldn't develop Strome and the wheels were coming off our season with a string of ugly losses.

We have an exciting first line, but we are also huffing and puffing to remain mediocre.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Strome never played well for us. I do hope the trade unlocked something inside him.

Good players look good regardless of who they play with. This idea that Strome looked bad because of his line mates is utter bullshit and a form of scapegoating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad