Confirmed with Link: Coyotes @ the WJC - Barrett Hayton makes team Canada

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
So Westerlund is on the top pair? How has his progression been?

Slow and steady. FW got sent back down to junior for a while but is back in the SHL now. He is better with the puck now and has improved his decision making, according to himself. The fact he made the cut for a defensively strong Swedish team is a good sign.

Here is an interesting article in Swedish. You can Google translate if you want:

Filip Westerlund sköt första SHL-målet – då får tränaren äta godis igen

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
No Coyotes prospects involved but I'm watching the USA game right now and while there's no score Hughes changes the game every time he steps on the ice. Very impressed with him for a first 15 minutes of viewing.

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Denmark pulls goalie after giving up 11. Why 11? Because at 10-0 they still had a chance?

As I type this new guy gives up 2 :facepalm:

Denmark doesn't belong in this division.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Denmark pulls goalie after giving up 11. Why 11? Because at 10-0 they still had a chance?

As I type this new guy gives up 2 :facepalm:

Denmark doesn't belong in this division.

The previous goalie looked a little hurt, so they might want to keep him out since there's no point now. They usually like to hang their goalies out to dry, for whatever reason.

6Min left, a little disappointed that Hayton only has 2 points, but given that's a pretty solid scoreline in a normal game you can't really be too mad. Looking forward to what he does vs some tougher teams. Seems like a very smart player.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
The previous goalie looked a little hurt, so they might want to keep him out since there's no point now. They usually like to hang their goalies out to dry, for whatever reason.

6Min left, a little disappointed that Hayton only has 2 points, but given that's a pretty solid scoreline in a normal game you can't really be too mad. Looking forward to what he does vs some tougher teams. Seems like a very smart player.

Total mismatch. Not worried about Hayton. One sided blowout stats meh

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I’d rather Hayton score points in a game that matters than a blowout against Denmark. I’ve enjoyed his game. Just reinforces the positives about this pick. Smart player. He doesn’t normally play in front of net on PP. this is a role he’s been asked to play and has adapted well.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
No big deal about Hayton having fewer points than some team mates. He was on the ice for a lot of goals-for so his +/- was probably great.

I was a bit disappointed that he wasn't making simple plays when he had the puck. Too much stick handling and too many low percentage passes. To his credit the stick handling was impressive and he connected on more of those passes than he should have. In other words; great show of skill tonight, poor show of offensive decision making.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Could have just as easily had 6 points tonight. Was on the ice for a half ton (literally) of the goals and caused fits. Just wasnt the 2nd to last one to rouch the puck many of those times. Great game.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
There's nothing real important to gain from this game other than Hayton has some great hands.

I thought Hughes' skill was so in your face in the USA game, but boy is he small. I don't see that same dynamic skill from Kakko, but he's much stronger than Hughes.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
There's nothing real important to gain from this game other than Hayton has some great hands.

I thought Hughes' skill was so in your face in the USA game, but boy is he small. I don't see that same dynamic skill from Kakko, but he's much stronger than Hughes.
They play a different game, Hughes has crazy hands and can move about on pinpoint turns and has fantastic agility. Kakko has a more power game relying on his size and reach to keep the puck safe. He still has speed and creativity but Hughes has developed that skill more because he has to in order to be effective.

Both are incredible talents but their style of controlling the game is fundamentally different. Hughes definitely has more flash.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Hardly anyone has the dynamic skating skill Hughes has, his edges are unique. I just don't feel his hands are quite as elite, his shot is a muffin (that can change of course), he got plastered against the boards once or twice by the Slovaks and he isn't that stellar defensively. Kakko is more wellrounded.

The Swedish commentators and experts were extremely impressed by Kakko. One expert said he sees him as a future top ten NHL forward in points; he left Hughes without further comment saying he hadn't seen enough of him.

Towards the end of the game the Swedish commentators were mostly worried if Kakko was on the ice or not.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Kakko plays like Backstrom, but on the wing and with a better shit. Was taken out of my seat twice by his playmaking tonight.

Reactions: MIG

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

He was involved in the first goal but was not credited an assist. So a 3 point night in a blowout.

I paid attention to his positioning and he is ALWAYS on the right side of the puck. A few times he hesitated in the o zone to make sure he had his assignment right and got into better position. On one play he stopped pursuing the puck and skated back to the middle of the O zone to cover for the pinching D, recognized the Denmark breakout after Canada turned the puck over and hustled back to negate a 2 on 1. He even coordinated where the Dman should go as he checked the other forward.

He effectively boxed out players in front of both goals and was instrumental in his lines' breakouts

This type of play was exactly what Chayka commented on. Fantastic positioning and smarts in all 3 zones.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
He was involved in the first goal but was not credited an assist. So a 3 point night in a blowout.

I paid attention to his positioning and he is ALWAYS on the right side of the puck. A few times he hesitated in the o zone to make sure he had his assignment right and got into better position. On one play he stopped pursuing the puck and skated back to the middle of the O zone to cover for the pinching D, recognized the Denmark breakout after Canada turned the puck over and hustled back to negate a 2 on 1. He even coordinated where the Dman should go as he checked the other forward.

He effectively boxed out players in front of both goals and was instrumental in his lines' breakouts

This type of play was exactly what Chayka commented on. Fantastic positioning and smarts in all 3 zones.

I think this is the type of thing that Chayka is craving in players.

#1: they won't go off-script when it comes to where to be on the ice

#2: self-recognition of what to fix and if he is asked to do something different in terms of assignment or role, he does it. Like playing as the screener in front of the goalie. Not saying he is built for it, but his positioning sense makes him a candidate to do it properly, even if not the biggest guy to take up space

I think we are going to be much happier with him than we realize and remember that prior to 2015, these weren't picks that Chayka had final say on. The NFL and NBA often have times when this wasn't the pick of that particular front office, so moving some of those players out isn't unfounded in other leagues. So far, Chayka has had complete control over the following 1st round picks: Keller, Chychrun, POJ, and Hayton. Now, he could have had another option to play with in the #7 OA pick in 2017, but I like what he did in getting a quality C in Stepan (he is much better than the comments on these boards make him out to be) and what seems to be a quality goalie in Raanta (stats are great, but health is the primary issue).

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Hardly anyone has the dynamic skating skill Hughes has, his edges are unique. I just don't feel his hands are quite as elite, his shot is a muffin (that can change of course), he got plastered against the boards once or twice by the Slovaks and he isn't that stellar defensively. Kakko is more wellrounded.

The Swedish commentators and experts were extremely impressed by Kakko. One expert said he sees him as a future top ten NHL forward in points; he left Hughes without further comment saying he hadn't seen enough of him.

Towards the end of the game the Swedish commentators were mostly worried if Kakko was on the ice or not.
Oh his shot is hot garbage but I still think he has great hands. He's young and does some funny things with the puck too, as he matures in the game he will become more consistent in that area. I'd be happy to select him but I just like what Kakko brings more.

I've seen some recent rankings with Kakko outside of 2 and think that's crazy. Podkolzin, Dach, and Cozens make up that 2nd group, but I couldn't take any of them over Kakko or Hughes. In my case if we have 1 or 2 I take Kakko, but I'm probably in the minority.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad