Confirmed with Link: Coyotes @ the WJC - Barrett Hayton makes team Canada

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm not seeing Kakko as Hughes' equal. Kakko is great, but Hughes is something else.
Kakko is really good. I'm just not that into him. His play style is boring. Too much like Adam Lowry. There's no speed or deception in his game. Just reach and strength and body position. His vision and anticipation are outstanding they just don't come in a flashy package.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I see people scrambling to blame everyone and everything for Canada's failure. Hayton getting some blame, like people were expecting him to be an offensive powerhouse :laugh:
He did assist in Canada's only goal. Not sure it was planned but it happened.

Bad break for Canada but that's hockey.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I thought Hayton was great today. He made some unconventional offensive plays. Makes me think he'll always be growing and evolving.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I thought Hayton was great today. He made some unconventional offensive plays. Makes me think he'll always be growing and evolving.
Hayton is not the reason AZ lost. I also thought he had a decent game. Tried some moves and overhandled the puck but he looks poised to be a leader next year.

I don't believe Morgan for a second that Hayton could make NHL next year.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
He is fantastic at reading the game. He hustles. He has a good offensive IQ. He sure mishandles the puck a lot.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Hayton is not the reason AZ lost.
I didn't even know we were invited. I thought it was an intl tourney ;)
I don't believe Morgan for a second that Hayton could make NHL next year.
I totally believe it. Not because I think it's a good idea or that he's ready, but because I think we're arrogant and clueless.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I'm not seeing Kakko as Hughes' equal. Kakko is great, but Hughes is something else.

I don't know. I haven't seen Hughes in a game like this against Canada. Kakko was put on his arse once by a tackle but Jack was smashed up several times by Slovakia. Kakko has had spotty TOI with Tolvanen and Heponiemi really grabbing both the puck and minutes to drive the play. That's alright I guess as they are the big boys and it's their show. Kakko's time will come. I agree he is not NHL ready really. D+1 for him. He will be good but the flashiness is not quite there yet.

I think he needs to learn to go for the net more and also practice tons and tons of finishing and shooting from all angles and develop his arsenal of shots. The cycle game he owns already. This tournament is good practice for him to learn what he needs to do to make his game work in the small rink.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Kakko is really good. I'm just not that into him. His play style is boring. Too much like Adam Lowry. There's no speed or deception in his game. Just reach and strength and body position. His vision and anticipation are outstanding they just don't come in a flashy package.

Kakko, like all Finnish forwards, have had a very tough tournament mostly because of Ahokas super slow build up play. This has led to the forwards always receiving the puck in weird areas and uncoordinated with their line mates and ending up with them chasing the puck almost all the time. This has lead to the leading forwards starting to solo carry the puck which in turn makes the line game and offensive cohesion suffer. Today Finland just played with grit and willpower when their game itself was misfiring so badly. This affects Kakko's game too as he is always chasing the puck down into the corners trying to dig it out and start the cycling game, but that is hard when the opponents are always there collected and ready.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
As for Hayton.

I thought Hayton is too controlling, which is why he hangs on to the puck too much. He needs to adapt to the higher tempo with the big boys. Not that impressed but don't think he is a lost cause. He needs to get stronger too.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Hayton skates 100x better than Strome. That said, there is "no way" he'll be ready to jump to the NHL next season. I agree with Del in that he needs more time to increase his explosiveness and he needs to get some strength.

He has better hands that I thought he had, which is a good thing and he does play a 200 ft game and is responsible defensively.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Hayton will be an NHLer because he is so prepositionally sound all the time. Whether he can produce offense at the NHL level will determine whether he is simply a 3rd line checker or a legit top 6 C.

Odds are he is a Stepan type of player. A 2nd line C on a low skill team or a 3C on a good team. Upside is Bergeron.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Of Canadian forwards drafted in the top five who were still playing in the WJC in their D+1 year (this is only about half of them) in the last decade, Barrett Hayton has by far the least impressive statistical output. I believe he and Pierre Luc Dubois are the only two who failed to put up at least a point per game. The majority were about twice as productive as Hayton. He even got smoked by the Strome brothers.

rt

May 13, 2004
Hayton skates 100x better than Strome. That said, there is "no way" he'll be ready to jump to the NHL next season. I agree with Del in that he needs more time to increase his explosiveness and he needs to get some strength.

He has better hands that I thought he had, which is a good thing and he does play a 200 ft game and is responsible defensively.
Joining Strome as forwards drafted in the top five from the CHL, who fail to make the NHL in their D+2 seasons? Why do we keep drafting players like that? This is a very rare way of being disappointed.

Reactions: CC96 and Yandover

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Of Canadian forwards drafted in the top five who were still playing in the WJC in their D+1 year (this is only about half of them) in the last decade, Barrett Hayton has by far the least impressive statistical output. I believe he and Pierre Luc Dubois are the only two who failed to put up at least a point per game. The majority were about twice as productive as Hayton. He even got smoked by the Strome brothers.

Tbf Zadina hasn't set the tournament on fire either... Such a huge difference between picking at #5 rather than at #4...

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

And look at what Dubois is doing in his 2nd NHL season. 36 points in 39 games.

We are talking about players who are unfinished products. Some mature faster than others. Some hit their peak early and some are late bloomers.

rt

May 13, 2004
And look at what Dubois is doing in his 2nd NHL season. 36 points in 39 games.

We are talking about players who are unfinished products. Some mature faster than others. Some hit their peak early and some are late bloomers.
Hayton’s statistical output in this tournament was notably very poor, relative to the precedent set by his comparables in previous years. It was easily the worst of the bunch, and by a pretty large margin. I went through the last ten drafts and he was the worst. I’m pretty sure he was 40% lower than the 2nd worst guy. I didn’t tally anything up, but it looks like the average production rate was about double his.

I was not making a statement about WJC production as a measure of predicting future NHL success. That’s not the point. The point was that Hayton had a really disappointing tournament. If anyone’s feeling disappointed, it’s peoabbly because precedent begged for much better results. Given his age and draft position, we all should have expected at least a point per game.

Last edited:

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I was not impressed with Hayton.. but I think he did exactly what the coach wanted him to do..

He was way more effective when he was playing the half wall . Which is what he did for the first few games of the pre tournament and they finally put him back to that last night.

For the rest of the tournament he just stood in front of the net trying to screen the goalie... very ineffective and kind of put him in a box in my opinion..

In any case I definitely expected more

rt

May 13, 2004
They did the same to Dylan Strome in his first WJC. Miscast him as a net-front presence. Doesn’t make sense. Strome still had a point-per-game, though. :)

rt

May 13, 2004
Hayton’s statistical output in this tournament was notably very poor, relative to the precedent set by his comparables in previous years. It was easily the worst of the bunch, and by a pretty large margin. I went through the last ten drafts and he was the worst. I’m pretty sure he was 40% lower than the 2nd worst guy. I didn’t tally anything up, but it looks like the average production rate was about double his.

I was not making a statement about WJC production as a measure of predicting future NHL success. That’s not the point. The point was that Hayton had a really disappointing tournament. If anyone’s feeling disappointed, it’s peoabbly because precedent begged for much better results. Given his age and draft position, we all should have expected at least a point per game.
Looked at his Draft Year CHL production relative to comps:

Went back 12 years. Nino Niederreiter, Bo Horvat, Jake Virtanen and Pavel Zacha are the only CHL forwards drafted in the top ten without being at least 1ppg in their draft season plus playoffs combined. Horvat and Virtanen missed by one point and each had 40 or more goals. Niederreiter also had greater than 40 goals. Both he and Zacha were rookie imports from Europe.

So the only guy as underwhelming statistically as Hayton in that group was Zacha. The other three had factors that made their production much more impressive.

Production-wise, Hayton is rock-bottom for draft eligible CHL forwards taken in the top ten over the last twelve years. Production-wise, he is also rock-bottom for Canadian forwards playing in the WJC after being selected in the top five, the year prior.

Does this prove he was a bad pick or won’t be a great NHL player? Nope. But his relative draft year production and relative WJC production certainly don’t make me FEEL any better about this pick.

Reactions: Yandover

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Joining Strome as forwards drafted in the top five from the CHL, who fail to make the NHL in their D+2 seasons? Why do we keep drafting players like that? This is a very rare way of being disappointed.

Like I said back at the draft, it was a lousy pick. There were other guys I would have taken, but he is ours now and if he turns out to be DuBouis, we could only hope.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Like I said back at the draft, it was a lousy pick. There were other guys I would have taken, but he is ours now and if he turns out to be DuBouis, we could only hope.

Other guys like Zadina? He had a horrible tournament too... Not only are we crap at tanking, we pick the wrong years to pick high (2015 apart sniff)

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
I believe that Hayton may have been the second youngest player on this team. He did over handle the puck sometimes but he was far from the problem on a team that struggled to score. It’s far too late to worry about him being picked at 5 and I’m not sure who has shown to be much better. I think he’s a very good prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad