Confirmed with Link: Coyotes @ the WJC - Barrett Hayton makes team Canada

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I believe that Hayton may have been the second youngest player on this team. He did over handle the puck sometimes but he was far from the problem on a team that struggled to score. It’s far too late to worry about him being picked at 5 and I’m not sure who has shown to be much better. I think he’s a very good prospect.
Dylan Strome’s post draft WJC team failed to medal as well, if I recall correctly. Pretty sure he had twice as many points.

Again- I’m not saying Hayton is a bad player or necessarily that he had a bad tournament. I’m saying that his production was clearly very disappointing given his draft status.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Overall I really liked Haytons play. He has some strength to add and skill development to complete but he overachieved offensively based on what I had projected for him.

He hasn’t changed my mind that he should have been a top 5 pick but he’s reinforced to me that he deserved to go in Top 10.

He projects as a 2C IMO. Really like his game.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Players like Barzal, Point, Horvat, Reinhart didn’t do better in their first tournaments as 18 year olds. They’ve all been much better NHLers than the Strome brothers. Hayton is leap years better than Strome away from the puck. He will be a fine top 6 player but I think the Coyotes will still be searching for a game breaker.

Where is our Elias Pettersson?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
MacKenzie echoed comments that Hayton could be in NHL next season and spoke positively about his play at WJC.

Pronham also wrote positively about play of Hayton and his development.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I thought Hayton was one of Canada's best players and played well overall. He went to the net, battled in corners and played a smart 200 foot game...…..there's a serious lack of that happening in Glendale right now.
Love his compete and his smart, 200 foot game. Not sure how much offense he will provide.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
They will probably showcase him on the fourth line before they trade him.;)

Don't think we'll have to worry about that. My guess is that one of the other main reasons why we took Hayton is because he is a self-starter who will always try and improve, even if starting off on a lower line to work his way up. If we were worried about a player being a carbon copy of Strome (i.e. tons of talent but didn't quite follow through on improvements), we bypassed that player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Don't think we'll have to worry about that. My guess is that one of the other main reasons why we took Hayton is because he is a self-starter who will always try and improve, even if starting off on a lower line to work his way up. If we were worried about a player being a carbon copy of Strome (i.e. tons of talent but didn't quite follow through on improvements), we bypassed that player.
I think we took him because the Yotes thought he was the best player available. Period.

Reactions: ParisSaintGermain

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I think we took him because the Yotes thought he was the best player available. Period.

Always take BPA...unless your team is absolutely stacked at a certain position...which has never applied to the Coyotes.

Reactions: Heldig

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
MacKenzie echoed comments that Hayton could be in NHL next season and spoke positively about his play at WJC.

Pronham also wrote positively about play of Hayton and his development.

He was ok but not NHL ready in my opinion.... I would like him to tear up the OHL , then go tear up the AHL... We need to be patient twith these guys I think.

Reactions: CLW

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad