Coyotes' Tempe Arena Proposal Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
How anyone can continue to have the optimism that this is just Glendale posturing for a new more favorable lease is beyond me at this point. I feel like they have all the leverage and they’re playing their completely upper hand.

The coyotes haven’t had good PR in more than a year at this point. Why should we have any faith in them

What leverage? What stops the NHL and team can basically say see ya and leave to another market in another state. Sports leagues don't like being told what to do... They rather move the team then accept glendales terms of permanently losing money for the next decade 1/2 to 2 decades.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
How anyone can continue to have the optimism that this is just Glendale posturing for a new more favorable lease is beyond me at this point. I feel like they have all the leverage and they’re playing their completely upper hand.

The coyotes haven’t had good PR in more than a year at this point. Why should we have any faith in them
That's where I am. Shit stories keep coming and its always the reporters fault, Canada media's fault, Quebec's fault, Glendale's fault. Well it's about time we actually put the blame where it belongs and that's right in the Coyote's office. If you stop doing stupid stuff like testing players, not paying per diems, not paying rent, not paying taxes, and so on there won't be any stories to write.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Normally I can shrug off these types of reports. But this has been lingering since the original Strang report. The fact it wasn't brought up again made me believe they paid off the dues behind the scenes just as expected. It's somewhat shocking the league didn't make sure these taxes were paid for before the season began.

It feels like a quick fix. The fact that Glendale got in touch with Katie Strang to publish this makes it feel like a tactic to get them to pay and the some. But that Bettman quote is bad. The Houston rumor just got worse and there is no reason for Tempe to brush this off.

I'll just try to enjoy watching prospects and seeing how the draft goes. If the team leaves my new team will be whoever draft Michkov..

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
That's where I am. Shit stories keep coming and its always the reporters fault, Canada media's fault, Quebec's fault, Glendale's fault. Well it's about time we actually put the blame where it belongs and that's right in the Coyote's office. If you stop doing stupid stuff like testing players, not paying per diems, not paying rent, not paying taxes, and so on there won't be any stories to write.
I’m just starting to get to the point where we don’t deserve this. We as fans deserve a team that is run right. All we have this year to keep our interest (by design) is the future, but if there’s no future, what the hell do we have left?

I’m not following this team if they leave ( I hate all Texas sports teams) and I don’t even know how I could continue to be a part of the HF community with how much shit we’ve taken and “told you so’s” we will take if they leave. I’ve never been this close to the edge, and I remember every moment of the night the Jamison deal fell through

Reactions: Edenjung

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
its about doing it legally and they have a case to so. problem is they can't just say okay you are out in 12 days but whom gives the authority to say if team doesn't pay then by then go ahead and lock the doors

"If the Coyotes don’t pay the full outstanding amounts owed for taxes and back rent in full by the deadline, the team will legally not be allowed to play inside Gila River Arena until the city of Glendale approves it."

Glendale gives Coyotes deadline to pay debt; face Gila River Arena lockout

I think they've got their legal i's dotted and t's crossed, but all we can do is speculate and wait haha! There's a lot to this all. The eviction process moves very fast in favor of landlords here in AZ, once a tenant has gotten behind on payments. This type of lease agreement is certainly on a whole other level though lol.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It feels like a quick fix. The fact that Glendale got in touch with Katie Strang to publish this makes it feel like a tactic to get them to pay and the some.

The amount, relative to yearly operating costs for the team, is so trivial that it simply doesn't make any sense to me. And that includes a scenario where the team already has an agreement to move with another owner. The league would just quietly pay that tiny amount to keep the press out of it.

Ducking rent because you don't like the split is one thing but taxes are another beast altogether. The city and state will absolutely get the money they are owed, one way or the other. It just seems very unlikely the team will stay now.

Maybe everything turns out okay but at the moment I feel bad for all the people Meruelo potentially duped, including Doan.

Reactions: Grimes

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Normally I can shrug off these types of reports. But this has been lingering since the original Strang report. The fact it wasn't brought up again made me believe they paid off the dues behind the scenes just as expected. It's somewhat shocking the league didn't make sure these taxes were paid for before the season began.

It feels like a quick fix. The fact that Glendale got in touch with Katie Strang to publish this makes it feel like a tactic to get them to pay and the some. But that Bettman quote is bad. The Houston rumor just got worse and there is no reason for Tempe to brush this off.

I'll just try to enjoy watching prospects and seeing how the draft goes. If the team leaves my new team will be whoever draft Michkov..
Unfortunately, I get stuck with Seattle. I should have moved to Florida.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
What leverage? What stops the NHL and team can basically say see ya and leave to another market in another state. Sports leagues don't like being told what to do... They rather move the team then accept glendales terms of permanently losing money for the next decade 1/2 to 2 decades.

The leverage is that Glendale knows the Coyotes are eventually moving no matter what. They've got nothing to lose. If the team isn't in Glendale specifically then they don't care where it is in N America. I think that they just want to get paid before the team goes to Tempe or wherever they end up.

Edit: It's actually better for Glendale if the team leaves the state. A new arena in Tempe would be competition for events at Glendale Arena.

Last edited:

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
November 21 - Bettman meets with Quebec Premier

December 2 - Forbes report of Coyotes looking to sell.

December 8 - COG to lock Coyotes out of GRA if delinquent tax bill not paid by Dec 20.

Hello…..

Reactions: WhoAreYou99

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

December 8 - COG to lock Coyotes out of GRA if delinquent tax bill not paid by Dec 20.

Hello…..
I don't think Bettman met with the Premier and actually disputed any plan to do so.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Hello…..

QC could take the team overnight but it remains to be seen why the league would go through all that trouble over less than $2m.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The leverage is that Glendale knows the Coyotes are eventually moving no matter what. They've got nothing to lose. If the team isn't in Glendale specifically then they don't care where it is in N America. I think that they just want to get paid before the team goes to Tempe or wherever they end up.

here's the problem where are they gonna find the dates to fill the arena once the tea leaves no netter where it is Tempe or some other market. Filling 41 date when you already have the sun's arena to deal with and that's regardless of tempe happening or not.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
QC could take the team overnight but it remains to be seen why the league would go through all that trouble over less than $2m.

So could houston which doesn't involve screwing up the alignment and teams just so Houston has a team.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
here's the problem where are they gonna find the dates to fill the arena once the tea leaves no netter where it is Tempe or some other market. Filling 41 date when you already have the sun's arena to deal with and that's regardless of tempe happening or not.

We'll see. But I can't fathom Glendale wanting to keep a tenant that hasn't been paying the bills and is a major headache. I believe them when they say they're done with the team. Especially knowing that the team doesn't want to be there either. It hasn't worked out well for Glendale or the team the entire time.

Reactions: PainForShane

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
We'll see. But I can't fathom Glendale wanting to keep a tenant that hasn't been paying the bills and is a major headache. I believe them when they say they're done with the team. Especially knowing that the team doesn't want to be there either.

the team is out of that arena in 4 months its another if its 3-4 years and they haven't been paying the bills.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
the team is out of that arena in 4 months its another if its 3-4 years and they haven't been paying the bills.

Yeah. I don't think there's any going back at this point. How could they trust each other? The relationship has been troubled since it began really. No matter who owned the team. This isn't new. We'll see.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yeah. I don't think there's any going back at this point. How could they trust each other? We'll see.

Its just why potential create a legal fight in the courts when the team is out of the arena in 4 months anyways. The most you'll get is the courts ordering the team to pay the back taxes regardless if its now or 4 months from now. It just ends up costing more legally fees assuming the judge gives a stay on the locking out team.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Its just why potential create a legal fight in the courts when the team is out of the arena in 4 months anyways. The most you'll get is the courts ordering the team to pay the back taxes regardless if its now or 4 months from now. It just ends up costing more legally fees assuming the judge gives a stay on the locking out team.

I think they'll pay up. Legal fees climb fast.

takimaki

Apr 14, 2010
Tim Hortons
The Coyotes aren't getting kicked out of the arena, the courts would stop that. There will be a prolonged legal battle before that happens. It is hard to evict an NHL team, nothing to worry about.

“Nothing to worry about”??? Do you know the damage a legal battle like that over unpaid taxes will do to the team’s reputation, not to mention the league’s? You think Bettman and the BoG will just let that happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad