Coyotes' Tempe Arena Proposal Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Just watched the Insider Trading video and it just proves that it’s it’s yet another lame jab at the Coyotes by crap reporters. It’s been going on since the NHL took ownership of the team and happens at least twice a year.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Anyone catch this today?

Direct line to interview:
Podcast Player Archives - Arizona Sports - Burns & Gambo Show Audio

Reiterated there was no truth to the report and nobody in the organization communicated with them.
Fuzzy math (my term) about their $2 billion commitment to the Tempe project.
Said they've made significant progress on a place to play next season but no announcement ready.
Said something about working on "other sports" in conjunction with the Tempe project.
He and Murelo family live/bought homes here.
Some bs about expecting the team to be competitive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bondurant

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
upload_2021-12-2_22-39-8.png

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
What do you make of this reddit post?

I think it's incredibly informative of some of the hurdles that the Coyotes and Tempe will have to clear. I've never been very knowledgeable on these types of situations so I can't really comment on that part but I'd rather read something like this that may not be 100% positive but carries a bunch of good talking points than the classic main board response of hurr durr move them to Quebec already.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I've seen this dance before. Every spoon that wants to stir the pot and every clown with a grudge that the NHL disrespected Hamilton/QC/Goatpucker -On - The - Lake Manitoba are posting about the Coyotes being for sale.

Reactions: Fyreman and 0point1

TeamTourigny

Formally TeamTurris & TeamTippet & TeamTocchet
Jan 16, 2007
Vegas
The property involved in Englehorn v Stanton is under construction at the present moment. That being said I don't know the circumstances surrounding its GPELT status and this court case because the City of Phoenix still lists it as an active GPLET (Amstar/McKinley, LLC):
https://www.phoenix.gov/econdevsite/Documents/2020 Parcels with development agreements.pdf

IMO the arguments to support the redevelopment of a landfill and use of the GPLET gives me less consternation with our friends at Goldwater. The substance of their arguments in Englehorn revolved around the need to use this development tool in an area that is booming with new private development. Some downtown Phoenix neighbors (like Englehorn) did not need a GPLET to get off the ground. In the BuleBird instance, the dirt is already owned by the City and is being underutilized as a landfill.

I would offer a cynical wrinkle in this instance. Randy Kendrick is a prominent figure on the Goldwater Board, her husband is the managing partner of the Diamondbacks. Perhaps it may not be in the best interest of the D-Backs if this deal gets scuttled. After all they are notablely rying to position for a new or renovated ballpark.

Last edited:

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Sounds to me like whenever there's a hurdle (which there always is!) It gets turned into a deal killer rather than simply a normal part of the process to work through.

Last edited:

Tanic

Dec 28, 2003
Visit site
I would offer a cynical wrinkle in this instance. Randy Kendrick is a prominent figure on the Goldwater Board, her husband is the managing partner of the Diamondbacks. Perhaps it may not be in the best interest of the D-Backs if this deal gets scuttled. After all they are notablely rying to position for a new or renovated ballpark.

Nailed it. The Grifter Kendricks don't want any sports competition standing in the way of their taxpayer funded welfare handouts. F 'em.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The guy from Forbes who started all this was TSN1260 in Edmonton today and basically offered ZERO substance to backup this “report”.

He spent more time boasting about the million plus Twitter interactions he got along with Mike Ozanian and extolling the virtues of Houston than anything.

(Edit: link to it here. Coyotes towards the end)
Macramalla: Historically when the union digs in they tend to win

Listen to what he says about Ozanian. :laugh:

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I don't understand why some think tank like Goldwater has so much power?

As Arizona becomes a more liberal leaning state, I would suspect their influence is waning. In the past, Republican/conservative politicians sought their support and good graces.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't understand why some think tank like Goldwater has so much power?
As Arizona becomes a more liberal leaning state, I would suspect their influence is waning. In the past, Republican/conservative politicians sought their support and good graces.

So long as the gift clause exists, their influence is absolute. They will intervene and complicate the math on deals that other states and cities hand out on a regular basis. This happens to the Coyotes because they are continually undercapitalized. This can mostly all go away if they just secure private funding, but that's a tall ask. The league cares, but not to that extent.

When your deal isn't on lock, any added risk can topple things.

Reactions: TheLegend

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Boh last time I checked doesn’t make HFBoard rules.

BoH doesn’t have the make any rules. The current rules are ample enough for its moderator staff to kick someone out for dropping memes and other garbage into discussions there.

If you want to discuss actual business it’s the place to be. Memes and other junk posts are considered as “not adding to the discussion”. The standard for sticking to the topic runs very high there and if you want to FA there you will definitely FO.

Even I don’t question their decisions there.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
BoH doesn’t have the make any rules. The current rules are ample enough for its moderator staff to kick someone out for dropping memes and other garbage into discussions there.

If you want to discuss actual business it’s the place to be. Memes and other junk posts are considered as “not adding to the discussion”. The standard for sticking to the topic runs very high there and if you want to FA there you will definitely FO.

Even I don’t question their decisions there.
Well, if you don’t question their decisions, that enough for me to not question it. You are some exalted messiah. f***.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad