Coyotes' Tempe Arena Proposal Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think relegation would be fantastic. It would be difficult since it's not really structured like European football, but I like the idea. Most Americans wouldn't go for it because most Americans don't do anything the smartest way, so there's that.

Adding a relegation model would also, I would wager, open up more opportunities in the NHL for places like, oh, I dunno, Quebec City.

And I don't know why people around here would be upset if the Coyotes were relegated. Plenty of folks have waxed rhapsodic about the Phoenix Roadrunners (and a few have even offered positive remembrances of the Arizona Sundogs and Phoenix Mustangs). That the Roadrunners were in something like six different leagues in their existence didn't seem to matter.

Relegation would theoretically mean that you would be able to establish more permanence for your franchises. The best teams would be in the NHL, but if your team sucked you'd still keep it the next season and just play in a lower league, hoping to be promoted back.

That's a far healthier model than the one that leaves cities like Seattle and San Diego and others dangling in the wind when their franchises jump ship.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
BoH right now is like..

"WHAT??? IMPOSSIBLE!! This obviously can't happen!!!"

They're latching onto every bad scenario they can think of that this will not work.

And to be honest it might not. It isn't set yet.
It’s possible that this is just a ploy to win back some leverage with COG on a short-term lease.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Yes I think everyone who's pretty in favor of this (which I mean hey if that's the option then that's the option) would do well to at least acknowledge it's a a least teensy tiny little bit sad no?

*It's more than a tiny little bit sad.

For sure it is.

But it's also extremely Coyotes. At least we're staying #OnBrand.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Gotcha! I actually think COG was quietly hoping/counting on the Coyotes having no other option so they could mark up rent 300-500%, while badmouthing the team and attempting to torpedo the Tempe deal the whole time. All while basking in the glow of sympathy from the national media.
I was thinking that too until they started talking about the remodel project and booking things like rodeos. They'd have to schedule that around the NHL. If they aren't working with the NHL on the schedule, they can't do anything else.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I can't see how this is a better idea than actually bargaining in good faith with Glendale? Maybe each side send a couple of Adults to make a reasonable deal and stop acting like petulant Children??

"Due to NCAA compliance issues, the Coyotes would not be permitted to use Sun Devil hockey’s team areas. They would have to build their own, without contribution from ASU, which does not need the extra areas or it would have already built them. One source estimated that cost between $15 and $20 million, with all of that money coming out of owner Alex Meruelo’s pocket."

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
It’s a part of the game since “American sports” is primarily not about sports, it’s an investment for the owner. The league doesn’t give a damn about the fans, since it’s all about the money. That’s awful since a lot of people have invested both their time and emotions into the team.

In Europe there is a saying that goes; You can change your job, you can change your wife but you can never change your team.

With your mindset you should not be upset if the league decides to move a couple of teams to China. There is a much bigger potential in the market over there and you can still watch the games on the telly. All of you guys should be against the relocation bullshit, because there is always an market that’s is more financial beneficial than where your team plays - and your favourite team might be the next one being relocated.
While i support the latter half i have to say that in football in europe we have a huge switch to "money, money, money" (imagine it spoken as mr crabs).

Thats why i like the 50+1 rule in the Bundesliga. But that also does not prevent you from having some big billionair buy a team and just go with it.

What i do like is the fan culture we have. Even teams in the third Bundesliga have fans that are so dedicated and do songs, choreos etc. Its awesome.
And yes i would like to have that in the NHL too.
It should not be violent or insulting but fun and inspiring.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Doesn't matter how small it is. As I've said a million times, this has never been about attendance or fan location or about fans AT ALL. He's got the betting license locked up so as long as Meruello gets to make his zillion dollars off land development around wherever the arena ends up, he's happy. Nobody gives a shit about us. Period. Follow-the-money...

I completely agree with this. Merulo will never make big bucks as a team owner. He'll make his money with the development and gambling. That's also why it's less likely that he moves the team. Most people are saying the team should move to xxx because they already have an arena. Merulo will never move to a location like that. If he can't get a deal done in AZ he'll sell and someone else will move them.
Make no mistake, AM will make a ton of $$ with the team, The franchise appreciation only will/is a windfall. You add in a new arena, betting and the other developments that you are talking about will be huge for AM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille