Coyotes' Tempe Arena Proposal Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ
ASU and a 3 year contract is what I was told which matches to what Craig is reporting. Based on the history of Coyotes ownership, I'm surprised they kept it quiet as long as they did. I'm sure some people will not be happy with the small venue, but it's going to be super nice and best of all keeps the team in AZ.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I just told my wife last night that the ASU arena was too small. At least we should have a sell-out every night. Embarrassing if we don't. How much revenue will the team lose though?

Reactions: PainForShane

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Love the “just move them” arguments from almost everyone on twitter (soon to be here.) Such an easy, follower argument. The team has failed tremendously in an arena that is so far away from its original fanbase (no offense, peeps from Glendale.) Give them a shot in a more centrally located area. If they still have attendance issues, I would agree that it’s probably time to put an end to the bleeding wound.

Reactions: Nowotny

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Wonder if the ever tightening relationship with ASU helps their chances with Tempe. I mean mean, Tempe is ASU and ASU is Tempe. If ASU is vouching for the Coyotes with Tempe, I would think that goes a long way with the council.

Need to get the city council to attend some games...obviously without violating any ethics laws.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Love the “just move them” arguments from almost everyone on twitter (soon to be here.) Such an easy, follower argument. The team has failed tremendously in an arena that is so far away from its original fanbase (no offense, peeps from Glendale.) Give them a shot in a more centrally located area. If they still have attendance issues, I would agree that it’s probably time to put an end to the bleeding wound.
Haha. It’s a 5k barn. I don’t foresee a lack of capacity crowd. ;)

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
ASU and a 3 year contract is what I was told which matches to what Craig is reporting. Based on the history of Coyotes ownership, I'm surprised they kept it quiet as long as they did. I'm sure some people will not be happy with the small venue, but it's going to be super nice and best of all keeps the team in AZ.

Why 3 years? Id that to hedge bets about when a new arena might be ready?

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Love the idea but 4-5k will be a pretty big revenue hit for Meurelo, no? Guess it depends on the optics of the deal.

And should be well received by Tempe Town Council.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

At any rate, they'll have sellouts every game.

And if they don't, then we'll know that everyone has been right all along and the team needs to go somewhere else.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I just told my wife last night that the ASU arena was too small. At least we should have a sell-out every night. Embarrassing if we don't. How much revenue will the team lose though?
How many actual, paying customers so they average at Gila? 10k? Or is it more like 8k and fluff? Either way, the answer is A BUNCH! But that’s not the right question. The math problem isn’t how much revenue they’ll lose compared to the current conditions. Those conditions expire this season. The new option set is something more like (but not exactly):

A) Get absolutely gouged by Glendale on a short-term lease, where the relationship is contentious and very loud and very dramatic.

B) Pay a ton of money to renovate AVMC, just to leave behind a much more attractive competing venue that you eventually lose some business to

C) Lose ticket revenue while bolstering a relationship with who you hope will be your long-term partner/savior in this market.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Love the idea but 4-5k will be a pretty big revenue hit for Meurelo, no? Guess it depends on the optics of the deal.

And should be well received bu Tempe Town Council.

Theoretically, they could increase prices based on supply-demand forces. However, I imagine longtime season ticket holders would be pissed. So maybe just bump up single-game ticket prices.

main-qimg-0158da88e2f46aae7f4514d81f14685c-lq

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
At any rate, they'll have sellouts every game.

And if they don't, then we'll know that everyone has been right all along and the team needs to go somewhere else.

Any guess as to how many season ticket holders the team has? The move to Tempe should increase that number as well if everything we've been told about east valley demand is correct.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Any guess as to how many season ticket holders the team has? The move to Tempe should increase that number as well if everything we've been told about east valley demand is correct.

At ASU, they should be able to fill the barn with every East Valley season ticket holder and still have room for a few hundred Sun Devil students, and that will be their ideal game-by-game audience.

As for revenue loss, Meruelo's got his sports betting franchise going and anyway, he's gonna clean up on tax breaks with that loss level.

Only folks who are going to be out of luck are the large sums of people who don't fit into the groups mentioned above because Bally Sports and Sinclair are a group of titanic turdwaffles.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
At ASU, they should be able to fill the barn with every East Valley season ticket holder and still have room for a few hundred Sun Devil students, and that will be their ideal game-by-game audience.

As for revenue loss, Meruelo's got his sports betting franchise going and anyway, he's gonna clean up on tax breaks with that loss level.

Only folks who are going to be out of luck are the large sums of people who don't fit into the groups mentioned above because Bally Sports and Sinclair are a group of titanic turdwaffles.

Anyone desiring to see a game last minute will probably need to hit the secondary ticket market.

Art.Vandelay

@kash2112
Aug 2, 2005
Glendale, AZ

And should be well received by Tempe Town Council.

Ticket prices will be adjusted accordingly and there will not many of the current freebies or discounts. This won't make up for all the lost revenue, but with Saharabets taking off, gate revenue won't be a big of a concern.

Also hearing that the team is looking at the IceDen as it's practice rink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad