Coyotes' Tempe Arena Proposal Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So sick and tired of all the people who wants the Coyotes to get relocated. As an European, I just can’t wrap my head about that part of American sports. Relocating a team should only happen if there is no other choice. You guys have been through a lot, but you still follow the team on a daily basis and you do not deserve to lose your team. The league should always prioritise the existing fans, if they want to “grow” the sport, they should do it in another way than just moving a team to a different place.

Hopefully this smaller arena is the solution until you have a new, bigger, arena ready.
How do you feel about relegation? I suspect Americans would have trouble with that.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
This would be a destination location for visitors. Come out to AZ in the winter/spring to see your favorite team in an intimate venue. I imagine they could even have a student section and keep those prices lower while hiking all other tickets by 25% or price gouge certain teams. There's lots building built on Rio Salado right now, wonder if AM could even add his hotel near by, especially if the arena ends up on the proposed location.
Wonder how Visitors will get tickets with so few a available? This might STH only for a few years.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Another interesting part of this is that the arena was (iirc) supposed to be "multiuse" for wrestling, gymnastics etc. Will ASU just remain status quo for those events, could all be done at same venue w/Coyotes, or could that nix this for the Yotes?

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
How do you feel about relegation? I suspect Americans would have trouble with that.

It’s a part of the game. My Swedish football (soccer) team just got relegated to the third tier of Swedish football. The club is founded in 1894 and one of the most successful teams, historically, in the nation. Our average attendance is around 2000 and now we are forced to play against teams with less than 50 persons in the stands. However, the relegation system brings so much nerves to the game. There is no meaningless games, and even though my team is now restarting in the lower divisions I will never fear losing my team and my passion is stronger than ever.

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It’s a part of the game. My Swedish football (soccer) team just got relegated to the third tier of Swedish football. The club is founded in 1894 and one of the most successful teams, historically, in the nation. Our average attendance is around 2000 and now we are forced to play against teams with less than 50 persons in the stands. However, the relegation system brings so much nerves to the game. There is no meaningless games, and even though my team is now restarting in the lower divisions I will never fear losing my team and my passion is stronger than ever.

Sorry for hijacking your thread.
And relocation and expansion are part of the North American sports game.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

upload_2022-1-27_10-41-36.png

upload_2022-1-27_10-41-59.png

upload_2022-1-27_10-42-25.png

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ

I think relegation would be fantastic. It would be difficult since it's not really structured like European football, but I like the idea. Most Americans wouldn't go for it because most Americans don't do anything the smartest way, so there's that.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
So sick and tired of all the people who wants the Coyotes to get relocated. As an European, I just can’t wrap my head about that part of American sports. Relocating a team should only happen if there is no other choice. You guys have been through a lot, but you still follow the team on a daily basis and you do not deserve to lose your team. The league should always prioritise the existing fans, if they want to “grow” the sport, they should do it in another way than just moving a team to a different place.

Hopefully this smaller arena is the solution until you have a new, bigger, arena ready.
As a fellow european i feel the same way.

Never got the idea. And i don't like the idea at alll. Especiallly because for me it does not solve a thing.
The problem is the product on ice. if a move of cities woould slove that, a bad team would have the best road games ever.

Anyway. I am all for making the Asu arena into our den.
Make it hard for every team that plays against us. Its small but that just makes it more personal and loud.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
There is no other realistic option. Period.

AVMC would be a money pit.

Chase Field would be a logistical and scheduling nightmare, to say nothing of the cost of maintaining an ice sheet for more than one weekend.

Gila River Arena is no longer an option, and Footprint Center never was.

It's basically ASU or Fertittaville at this point.

I'd argue ASU isn't realistic either. I mean... playing in a 5,000 seat arena, what? This is the NHL not some beer league. (especially bc we traded Derek Stepan ha)

Sorry to be the downer here but this is some crazy s***. Stranger things have happened (especially with this team), but personally I'd be very surprised if this goes through in this way. Would've been nice if we'd just chipped in when the thing was being built so the arena would be 20,000 seats instead

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think relegation would be fantastic. It would be difficult since it's not really structured like European football, but I like the idea. Most Americans wouldn't go for it because most Americans don't do anything the smartest way, so there's that.
You do realize there's a very good chance that relegation means the Coyote's don't exist right? Relegation would likely be the end of the Salary Cap.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
BoH right now is like..

"WHAT??? IMPOSSIBLE!! This obviously can't happen!!!"

They're latching onto every bad scenario they can think of that this will not work.

And to be honest it might not. It isn't set yet.

Reactions: Prarievarg

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I'd argue ASU isn't realistic either. I mean... playing in a 5,000 seat arena, what? This is the NHL not some beer league. (especially bc we traded Derek Stepan ha)

Yes I think everyone who's pretty in favor of this (which I mean hey if that's the option then that's the option) would do well to at least acknowledge it's a a least teensy tiny little bit sad no?

*It's more than a tiny little bit sad.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
You do realize there's a very good chance that relegation means the Coyote's don't exist right? Relegation would likely be the end of the Salary Cap.

Oh, for sure. But I've been on board with relegation in MLB and the NHL for years. Can't do it in the NFL and NBA, of course, but I'd love to see it in the first two. See you later, Baltimore Orioles and Arizona Diamondbacks. Welcome to the Show, Durham Bulls and Buffalo Bisons!

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
You realize this is a temporary solution, right? It’s simply what they deem as the more attractive interim option versus burning money on AZVMC or a short term lease with COG.
It doesn't matter how big it is because it's not about attendance is. That's all I was saying. The other two aren't really options Glendale has already moved on and as cool as it would be to see the Vet get remodeled, I can't see that being worth the time and money.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
And relocation and expansion are part of the North American sports game.

It’s a part of the game since “American sports” is primarily not about sports, it’s an investment for the owner. The league doesn’t give a damn about the fans, since it’s all about the money. That’s awful since a lot of people have invested both their time and emotions into the team.

In Europe there is a saying that goes; You can change your job, you can change your wife but you can never change your team.

With your mindset you should not be upset if the league decides to move a couple of teams to China. There is a much bigger potential in the market over there and you can still watch the games on the telly. All of you guys should be against the relocation bullshit, because there is always an market that’s is more financial beneficial than where your team plays - and your favourite team might be the next one being relocated.

Reactions: RemoAZ and Edenjung

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
While not completely offsetting the lower revenue, I'd imagine the costs will also be lower. I think as others have suggested, AM is taking a long-term view and the losses over the next few years are just part of the formula that will eventually lead to greater profits.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
While not completely offsetting the lower revenue, I'd imagine the costs will also be lower. I think as others have suggested, AM is taking a long-term view and the losses over the next few years are just part of the formula that will eventually lead to greater profits.
They might actually have to pay rent now so I'm not sure it will be a cheaper cost?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It doesn't matter how big it is because it's not about attendance is. That's all I was saying. The other two aren't really options Glendale has already moved on and as cool as it would be to see the Vet get remodeled, I can't see that being worth the time and money.
Gotcha! I actually think COG was quietly hoping/counting on the Coyotes having no other option so they could mark up rent 300-500%, while badmouthing the team and attempting to torpedo the Tempe deal the whole time. All while basking in the glow of sympathy from the national media.

Reactions: 0point1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad