Friedman: Coyotes may consider offers for Conor Garland

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Hypothetically speaking would COL 2021 1st + Timmins get close? If not, how much more would Avs need to add to that?

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I’d like the Bruins to add him. Maybe the Canes? Idk what their assets are. Edit: I think I remember the Avs have some decent prospects. That’d be a great add if they could,

I feel like basically anyone should trade as many 2021 picks as Arizona wants, this could be a miss or miss draft

Toronto will probably get him, and be let down by goaltending round one

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of the Arizona front office and the only possible way I can see Garland being offered is because the management believes with no impressive center depth they won't go anywhere. They have a piece they can build around on the backend with Chychurn but they'd be willing to move Garland for a recent 1st round pick who is a center that projects to be a 1st liner.

So maybe for Newhook + salary + a pick they could be convinced, but even then Garland is pretty young to be shipping off because you're rebuilding.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Sorry Friedman. Your sources are wet paper bags. I'm going with The Fourth Period from now on for insider information.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
I doubt we consider it. He’s our best player by far and a future captain.

trade Garland for a first round pick and pray that first round pick turns into Garland? Seems like an ass-backward approach.
This last part x1000. Never understood trading a guy for a 1st hoping that 1st turns out to be as good as said guy. Just keep the guy!

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Unless it's part of a package with Chychrun for Drasaitl (would probably need to add in Kuemper and one of schmaltz/dvorak and take back koskinen as well) I don't see any trade worth it for them

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
When I listened to this last night my take was that E.F heard the Yotes had received calls and dismissed then. Everything he said afterward struck me as 100% baseless speculation on his part.

Reactions: rt

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
When I listened to this last night my take was that E.F heard the Yotes had received calls and dismissed then. Everything he said afterward struck me as 100% baseless speculation on his part.
As usual, these guys want us to think the are doing their job, so they make up trades etc.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
I’d like the Bruins to add him. Maybe the Canes? Idk what their assets are. Edit: I think I remember the Avs have some decent prospects. That’d be a great add if they could,

I feel like basically anyone should trade as many 2021 picks as Arizona wants, this could be a miss or miss draft

Toronto will probably get him, and be let down by goaltending round one

Doubt Toronto picks him up, he's an RFA after this year and i don't think they can afford to pay him. He'd be a good fit though for sure

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
As usual, these guys want us to think the are doing their job, so they make up trades etc.
He has a knack for expanding on factual information with his thoughts. He does so without taking a pause between where the factual information ends and his fantasy talk begins which can lead to confusion. He’s turned it into an art form.

Reactions: bukwas

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
He has a knack for expanding on factual information with his thoughts. He does so without taking a pause between where the factual information ends and his fantasy talk begins which can lead to confusion. He’s turned it into an art form.
More like a highly paid "NHL insider".

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
You mean you fail at reading/listening comprehension, and can’t decipher the difference between fact reporting and speculation.

Reactions: Seachd

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
It would be really hard to follow the Yotes without Garland. He gives AZ some sort of hope.
The issue is that this team is sitting in no man s land currently : not the players for a cup run, not a strong prospect pool and no 1st for the upcoming draft. I think they would require a strong payment but I get why they would let him go if a team is ready to pay 1st + very good prospect. On the other hand, you could argue that all the cap going out in the next two years may be an opportunity to sign very good UFAs and build on Keller Schmalz Chychrun, in which case Garland is a nice piece to have.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The only time something this batsh-t makes sense is if you’re in win-now mode and need that one particular missing piece.

The Yotes are VERY far from that point.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Is this the hockey version of car dealers ads that excitedly/breathlessly claim that "All loan applications will be accepted for processing...". Well no shit, the loan app will be processed ... and then, if you've got lousy credit, declined. Nothing about 'all loan applications will be accepted', so they aren't lying but...

Here, of course AZ 'may consider offers'. Hell, Toronto 'may consider offers on AM' or Edmonton 'may consider offers on McDavid'... that in no way means that they have any interest in accepting any of them. But I can see AZ talking to other GMs 'Sure, if you're willing to back up the truck & way overpay, we're willing to listen. If you aren't willing to do so though...well, have a nice day'

Reactions: G Backup

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Is this the hockey version of car dealers ads that excitedly/breathlessly claim that "All loan applications will be accepted for processing...". Well no shit, the loan app will be processed ... and then, if you've got lousy credit, declined. Nothing about 'all loan applications will be accepted', so they aren't lying but...

Here, of course AZ 'may consider offers'. Hell, Toronto 'may consider offers on AM' or Edmonton 'may consider offers on McDavid'... that in no way means that they have any interest in accepting any of them. But I can see AZ talking to other GMs 'Sure, if you're willing to back up the truck & way overpay, we're willing to listen. If you aren't willing to do so though...well, have a nice day'

Bad example for multiple reasons. Arizona as a car dealership running ads on their players implies that they are actively shopping Garland. Arizona isn't shopping Garland. Friedman said that teams are calling Arizona about Garland.

If McDavid or Matthews were pending RFAs with arbitration rights and a year or two until being a UFA their teams would probably be more likely to listen to offers than if they are locked in for 5+ years. Arizona is in a bit of a tough spot (as Toronto was with Matthews) because Garland will point to Clayton Keller as a direct internal comparison.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad