Friedman: Coyotes may consider offers for Conor Garland

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

Surprised this didn't turn up here after Headlines last night. Garland is a terrific player. Friedman did stress that they weren't looking to move him, but that Arizona may consider it if they get a significant haul. I'd imagine it would take something like the Coleman/Goodrow returns and maybe even a little more as he's a pending RFA and only 25 years old.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Is he a UFA in 2023? Makes sense to sell him off if they want to rebuild I guess if the package is big enough: I could see a first plus a B prospect for him which might be tempting. If not keep him

Edit: I consider a B prospect to be a none top prospect: as a Florida fan, it would be Borgstrom, Noel. Etc (everyone but our most recent first round picks).

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I shudder to think the amount of quality and quantity it would take for Arizona to consider moving him to "restock the cupboard," he is a sparkplug and one of their best players, not to mention still under team control for a bit longer.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Always impressed with Garland every time the Canes play Arizona. He is everywhere. 25 points in 30 games this year is nice. He has 16 total assists and 15 are primary. I don't see why Arizona moves him unless they just don't want to pay him. I'd like him in Carolina but Aho and Teravainen are already too similar of players. Even so...

2021 1st + Jack Drury + Dominik Bokk + Haydn Fleury + James Reimer for Garland + Kuemper

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Always impressed with Garland every time the Canes play Arizona. He is everywhere. 25 points in 30 games this year is nice. He has 16 total assists and 15 are primary. I don't see why Arizona moves him unless they just don't want to pay him. I'd like him in Carolina but Aho and Teravainen are already too similar of players. Even so...

2021 1st + Jack Drury + Dominik Bokk + Haydn Fleury + James Reimer for Garland + Kuemper

My first thought it that's decent value if you believe Drury is a blue-chip (or near blue-chip) prospect.

My second thought is that it would be stupid for the Coyotes to trade Garland for more futures. You know, their best forward who just turned 25.

My third thought is...Coyotes gonna Coyote.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Why?

He is a young and talented top 6 winger... Trade OEL and Kessel first

They will have to make a long-term commitment to him or slow walk him to free agency. If they don't want to do the former, this would be the best time to try to cash out on him given his current performance and with ~2.5 years of team control left (correct me if I'm wrong on the number). His value will erode the longer they wait in the latter scenario.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
My first thought it that's decent value if you believe Drury is a blue-chip (or near blue-chip) prospect.

My second thought is that it would be stupid for the Coyotes to trade Garland for more futures. You know, their best forward who just turned 25.

My third thought is...Coyotes gonna Coyote.
I can at least see the logic if they know he doesn't want to sign long term.

They're not going anywhere the next two-three years so keeping him just to have them miss the playoffs would be pointless and they would get a much higher return trading him now when teams still have control versus as a pending UFA in a couple years.

Still always amazed at the progress he's made as a player and a person from the guy I watched in Junior

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
They will have to make a long-term commitment to him or slow walk him to free agency. If they don't want to do the former, this would be the best time to try to cash out on him given his current performance and with ~2.5 years of team control left (correct me if I'm wrong on the number). His value will erode the longer they wait in the latter scenario.
Exactly my thinking. Obviously try and re-sign him but if it's known he doesn't want to stay long term its better to cash in now when his value is likely at its highest.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I doubt we consider it. He’s our best player by far and a future captain.

trade Garland for a first round pick and pray that first round pick turns into Garland? Seems like an ass-backward approach.

That's if he wants to stay. He could just sign a 1 year deal then explore FA.. that's probably what he should do anyway.

If they get a deal so good that would likely be better than a year from now gotta consider it. Sucks but it is what it is.

If the Coyotes kept their upwards trajectory and were a strong playoff team this year this wouldn't even be a question.. but instead they're swimming in mediocrity. Bad timing not to get better.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I can at least see the logic if they know he doesn't want to sign long term.

They're not going anywhere the next two-three years so keeping him just to have them miss the playoffs would be pointless and they would get a much higher return trading him now when teams still have control versus as a pending UFA in a couple years.

Still always amazed at the progress he's made as a player and a person from the guy I watched in Junior

Yeah, I see that logic as well, I just think of all the moves they have made to get to the point where trading their best forward even makes a little sense.

The underlying problem is not "we think we can get a haul for a great player we may have trouble re-signing, who is also on the small side and a winger"...it's "why is trading our best forward who is just entering his prime considered a solution at this point...the one guy who has blossomed in the desert, the one guy who plays with the kind of heart and desire all too often lacking in our organization...why has it come to this...after all these years of supposedly building something, what have we been doing to get to this point?"

I wonder if Garland and his agent look at the Keller deal and think..."well, there's the bar set by this organization..."

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
And let me introduce you to the last season Yotes leading goal scorer and Yotes this season
assist, point, ppg, +/-, takeaway, etc.. leader....
Chychrun wins mvp of AZ this year in a landslide.

from today’s article by Craig Morgan

“Chychrun is fourth in the NHL in goals by a defenseman this season, and he holds that same fourth position in goals by defensemen since the start of the 2019-20 season. His 20 goals are three behind leader Zach Werenski of Columbus. He is also second this season in expected goals by defensemen to Florida’s Aaron Ekblad.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad