Friedman: Coyotes may consider offers for Conor Garland

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
There was some thought on the Bruins board that maybe Keller could be a target. Still young, under performing that big contract. Kind same thinking as to why OEL was out there over the summer. Since all the AZ fans are here... is this a topic worth discussing in a new thread?

Baby Doaner

Mar 14, 2021
There was some thought on the Bruins board that maybe Keller could be a target. Still young, under performing that big contract. Kind same thinking as to why OEL was out there over the summer. Since all the AZ fans are here... is this a topic worth discussing in a new thread?
No. It’s a non-starter and he isn’t going anywhere.

Reactions: wintersej

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’d move Keller for the right return. I don’t see Boston as a fit, though. I don’t like Studnicka quite enough as a principle piece. So something like Studnicka, Vaakanainen and a 1st wouldn’t do it for me. Not sure what Boston could or would add beyond that. So it seems pointless. But maybe you guys have some better ideas. So I think it’s fine to discuss.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’d move Keller for the right return. I don’t see Boston as a fit, though. I don’t like Studnicka quite enough as a principle piece. So something like Studnicka, Vaakanainen and a 1st wouldn’t do it for me. Not sure what Boston could or would add beyond that. So it seems pointless. But maybe you guys have some better ideas. So I think it’s fine to discuss.
In this Covid cap era guys are connected to their contracts. Imo Keller’s contract would make any trade return be someone with a similar contract who might do better with a change of scenery. I don’t know why the Coyotes would do that though. Better to stay with Keller.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Yeah, outside of those guys was going to throw names like DeBrusk, Bjork, Zboril, and Beecher into the mix. Bruins have plenty of middle six or 2nd pairing potential cost controlled guys and my assumption is that would be attractive to the Yotes as secondary pieces in the deal...

...but there needs to be a headliner and if Studnicka isn't enough of a headliner don't see what really works.

Bruins can make the cap work once they stop having 30(!) contracts on the payroll because of injuries so that isn't the concern. So from that standpoint there is a match at least.

Baby Doaner

Mar 14, 2021
Huh? BA didn’t draft Keller and didn’t give him that contract. There are no untouchable players in Arizona. None.

I understand your opinion, but I firmly believe he will not be traded. We can come back to this post, one way or the other.

rt

May 13, 2004
In this Covid cap era guys are connected to their contracts. Imo Keller’s contract would make any trade return be someone with a similar contract who might do better with a change of scenery. I don’t know why the Coyotes would do that though. Better to stay with Keller.
I think Keller could go if it’s for a guy who’s either a bit older or a bit less productive but adds more “culturally” in terms of grit and tenacity. Either that or for a small package that includes a top C prospect or D prospect that’s just a small step up from the Studnicka tier.

rt

May 13, 2004
Yeah, outside of those guys was going to throw names like DeBrusk, Bjork, Zboril, and Beecher into the mix. Bruins have plenty of middle six or 2nd pairing potential cost controlled guys and my assumption is that would be attractive to the Yotes as secondary pieces in the deal...

...but there needs to be a headliner and if Studnicka isn't enough of a headliner don't see what really works.

Bruins can make the cap work once they stop having 30(!) contracts on the payroll because of injuries so that isn't the concern. So from that standpoint there is a match at least.
If Studnicka, Vaakanainen and a 1st was on the table, I probably wouldn’t take it. Some Yotes fans might. And our GM very well could. He spent most of his career in amateur scouting and may love Studnicka. And I’m sure it’s killing him a first for his second draft in a row. Plus there’s a bunch of flexibility he gets. He may have a UFA prize he’s in love with.

I think it’s a good offer and it might be enough in real-life. I just personally would not go for it.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

By the way RT, this is why I asked about Keller in that Beauvillier - Garland thread. But that thread was already upsetting enough people that I didn’t want to complicate it further.

But based on everything you say about Garland then it would make sense to move Keller for a shorter cap dump and some assets then sign Garland for a lower hit then Keller. A bit of a retool that refocuses the core while getting picks and players.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
If Studnicka, Vaakanainen and a 1st was on the table, I probably wouldn’t take it. Some Yotes fans might. And our GM very well could. He spent most of his career in amateur scouting and may love Studnicka. And I’m sure it’s killing him a first for his second draft in a row. Plus there’s a bunch of flexibility he gets. He may have a UFA prize he’s in love with.

I think it’s a good offer and it might be enough in real-life. I just personally would not go for it.
If Studnicka and Vaakanien is not enough , because you are not getting a first ,than maybe you should keep him if he is that good............ Also doesn't Arizona have financial issues, if they do maybe they should be looking at keeping or going out and getting some cheap young players............. better still move the franchise.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If Studnicka and Vaakanien is not enough , because you are not getting a first ,than maybe you should keep him if he is that good............ Also doesn't Arizona have financial issues, if they do maybe they should be looking at keeping or going out and getting some cheap young players............. better still move the franchise.
There is a cap floor that AZ will be hard pressed to hit even with a Garland extension. AZ has a ton of cash coming off the books this year.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I'd have to assume CG would be strapped to OEL with battleship chains. 50 foot long and a two ton anchor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad