Speculation: Victor Olofsson, will he get a contract?

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Will he get a new contract given his limitations? Part of me hopes he moves back to Sweden, but maybe a team who needs a cheap sharp shooter for their pp would be interested?

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Yes. Some team that desparly needs secondary scoring, a contender willing to sign on a cheap deal due to cap space or a rebuilder looking for a little firepower all make sense.

If I were him, I’d be calling Chicago and asking how much they’d pay. On a dumpster team, he could get PP time and not worry about being a liability and just play his game. He’s got limitations for sure but in a sheltered situation, he could produce

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Same thread, different day -

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Victor Olofsson is a decent point producer, his major issue is playing team defense.

Olofsson is perhaps one of the worst wingers in the league when it comes to protecting his own zone, GM’s and coaches don’t like players who don’t play team defense.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Problem is he’s one of those guys who’s utterly useless (actually, it’s worse—actively hurting your team) when he’s not scoring, and he’s also not a super consistent scorer. I could see him bouncing around for a little while on some other bad teams, but I can’t imagine a team with serious playoff aspirations wanting this guy on their roster. I’d guess he ends up finishing his pro career in Europe.

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Smart signing for a tanking team.

Won’t cost much. Play him in your top six and get run over. Stick him on the PP when you are comfortably behind to make it look respectable and pump his value for the deadline.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

Won’t cost much. Play him in your top six and get run over. Stick him on the PP when you are comfortably behind to make it look respectable and pump his value for the deadline.

I dunno about that. People know who Olofsson is and he plays that exact antithesis of the style of hockey playoff teams are trying to add at the deadline.

I think he will get a minimal one-way deal but he’s on that Matt Hoffman track (except his peak wasn’t as good) - lingering around rebuilding teams a few years, occasionally going on a scoring run and generating zero interest as a trade target or among good teams.

Reactions: biturbo19

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa

Or, a reclamation signing on a good team hoping to catch him on an upswing. I could see a team like a Colorado doing with him something like they did with Nichushkin and Drouin, or Florida with Bennett - getting a former high pedigree youngster down on hard times at pennies on the dollar and turn him into a useful producer.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Or, a reclamation signing on a good team hoping to catch him on an upswing. I could see a team like a Colorado doing with him something like they did with Nichushkin and Drouin, or Florida with Bennett - getting a former high pedigree youngster down on hard times at pennies on the dollar and turn him into a useful producer.

Olofsson was never a high pedigree prospect. He was a 7th rounder. He beat all kinds of odds even becoming as good as he is right now. He’s definitely not a guy teams are going to look at and think “I remember believing this kid had all kinds of tools, maybe we can get more out of him.”

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

Yeah because we were able to do that lol?

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
20+ goals in 3 of the past 5 seasons. And only 28 years old still.

I'd at least offer him a PTO from a NYI perspective.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Victor Olofsson is a decent point producer, his major issue is playing team defense.

Olofsson is perhaps one of the worst wingers in the league when it comes to protecting his own zone, GM’s and coaches don’t like players who don’t play team defense.

Vic is not a decent point producer or we wouldn’t be wondering if he even gets an NHL contract this coming year.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He'll get at least a cheap "prove it" reclamation project deal somewhere. Probably with a bad team that just needs bodies in the Top-6 who have some semblance of scoring talent. Or with a fringe/bubble team that doesn't have a lot of assets or cap space, but need a powerplay triggerman and Top-6 filler.

He's got major flaws in his game and he's not a real candidate to pump up for a deadline deal, because no contenders want or need this sort of player. But guys who can rack up multiple 20G+ seasons are still going to command some sort of interest from certain types of teams that don't have as many options available to them.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Flames might try to sign him and then get a 4th or something at the deadline

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
If used for pumping for trade, wouldn't it make sense to put him on a team where they have passers but no shooters? I'm not suggesting this as a specific proposal, but a player like Huberdeau will get higher numbers if he has a good shooter on his powerplay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad