Friedman: Coyotes making a serious effort to trade for Taylor Hall (Blues, Stars, Oilers also interested)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
To NJ:
Goalie: Antti Raanta
Pick: 2020 1st round draft pick
Roster player: One of Hinostroza, Fischer, or Crouse
Prospect: One of Kyle Capobianco or Kevin Bahl

To AZ:
Taylor Hall (unsigned)

Thats a very decent offer. Don't think anyone will top that unless Dallas is desperate and puts Harley on the table.
Hall and Yotes make a ton of sense if Chayka is willing to gamble on getting Hall to re-sign in Arizona on July 1st (which I would be a bit sceptical about but certainly not a bad gamble to take).

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Thats a very decent offer. Don't think anyone will top that unless Dallas is desperate and puts Harley on the table.
Hall and Yotes make a ton of sense if Chayka is willing to gamble on getting Hall to re-sign in Arizona on July 1st (which I would be a bit sceptical about but certainly not a bad gamble to take).

You’d think he’d consider the signing for the pun alone.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
To NJ:

To AZ:
Taylor Hall (unsigned)
Raanta as part of a Hall package is a very interesting idea

Reactions: deflowd

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Raanta as part of a Hall package is a very interesting idea
Yes but don't think Raanta solves Devils long term goalie situation. He's better than what they have now but if they get him they would still need to get another G to win a cup with, which makes me hesitant to make part of a Hall trade. But that is an interesting and fair proposal.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Yes but don't think Raanta solves Devils long term goalie situation. He's better than what they have now but if they get him they would still need to get another G to win a cup with, which makes me hesitant to make part of a Hall trade. But that is an interesting and fair proposal.
When he's healthy Raanta is one of the best goalies in the league

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

His biggest problem is health. He's also only 30 years old, so it wouldn't be completely out of the question that you get another 4-5 years of high quality play from him, which is enough for me in this scenario. Mac just isn't ready for the spotlight. I'd rather have a Raanta there for 45-50 games with Mac taking the remaining and I think that the team is immediately upgraded right now. I'd actually argue that securing Raanta in this type of trade is one of the biggest immediate impact type moves that we could make. I am fine with a Mac / Raanta platoon with the latter taking on the slight majority of work.

My3Sons

Sponsor
His biggest problem is health. He's also only 30 years old, so it wouldn't be completely out of the question that you get another 4-5 years of high quality play from him, which is enough for me in this scenario. Mac just isn't ready for the spotlight. I'd rather have a Raanta there for 45-50 games with Mac taking the remaining and I think that the team is immediately upgraded right now. I'd actually argue that securing Raanta in this type of trade is one of the biggest immediate impact type moves that we could make. I am fine with a Mac / Raanta platoon with the latter taking on the slight majority of work.

Cory is broken down already. Hard to say how any pro athlete may or may not hold up past 30. In the rampant HGH era players lasted much longer.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Cory is broken down already. Hard to say how any pro athlete may or may not hold up past 30. In the rampant HGH era players lasted much longer.

It's a legitimate concern for sure. 10+ million to broken down goaltenders over the next couple of years would be terrible. But from a pure on ice standpoint, I think he'd have a huge impact on the team as it stands right now. But goalies are certainly the guys that can play at a very high level well into their mid 30's if it's the right guy. But no question that it is a risk.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
It's a legitimate concern for sure. 10+ million to broken down goaltenders over the next couple of years would be terrible. But from a pure on ice standpoint, I think he'd have a huge impact on the team as it stands right now. But goalies are certainly the guys that can play at a very high level well into their mid 30's if it's the right guy. But no question that it is a risk.

I am not familiar enough with Raanta to have any idea what his injury history or playing style might be to have an opinion. I'm just raising the question since once Schneider hurt his hip it's been a steady and steep decline. I don't doubt that NJ might get four or five good years potentially, but it's hard to see the future....

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
To NJ:

To AZ:
Taylor Hall (unsigned)

I'd do that, but Devils fans mostly seem all in on Blackwood. I'm not convinced and would love to have Raanta for 1.5 years while Blackwood figures out the league. Also Raanta would definitely have every opportunity to earn another contract as a starter if he outplays Blackwood.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
New Jersey:
Antti Raanta
Nick Merkley
Lawson Crouse
1st 2020

Arizona:
Taylor Hall

I find Kuemper to be the Coyotes MVP this year.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'd do that, but Devils fans mostly seem all in on Blackwood. I'm not convinced and would love to have Raanta for 1.5 years while Blackwood figures out the league. Also Raanta would definitely have every opportunity to earn another contract as a starter if he outplays Blackwood.

Worth noting that Raanta is one of the best teammates in the league and, with his injury history, could probably be had on a nice extension to eventually 1b it with Blackwood. I don't expect Devils fans to be thrilled with him as part of the return but he's a very useful roster player. He was key in turning around the Coyotes fortunes.

The Coyotes could conceivably move: Bahl, Farinacci, Capobianco, Schnarr, Emberson, Raty, Crotty, Callahan, Busby, Westerlund, Hill

I think Maccelli, Jenik, and Kirk are absolutely off limits. Same for Soderstrom, Prosvetov, and Hayton, three players Chayka is absolutely in love with.

Chychrun is basically a proto #1D at this point so that's absolutely not happening.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
This proposal was discussed on the DNVR podcast and want to know NJD perspective...

Zadorov
Kaut
Conditional 1st (Hall is re-signed, Becomes a 2021 2nd if he walks)

Personally, I think Avs need to add one more piece for this proposal and I don't even love this proposal. I think the roster player that the Avs should center around is Compher. The dude would also be great for a semi-rebuilding Devils. He can play all over the lineup and he's on a very good and longer contract.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
To NJ:

To AZ:
Taylor Hall (unsigned)

That would be a good deal with him signed I think. Seems like an overpay with no signing...

Reactions: Demon Wolf

My3Sons

Sponsor
This proposal was discussed on the DNVR podcast and want to know NJD perspective...

Zadorov
Kaut

Personally, I think Avs need to add one more piece for this proposal and I don't even love this proposal. I think the roster player that the Avs should center around is Compher. The dude would also be great for a semi-rebuilding Devils. He can play all over the lineup and he's on a very good and longer contract.

Based on discussions in NJ fan base Im skeptical that gets a good reception.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
To NJ:

To AZ:
Taylor Hall (unsigned)

Crouse should be removed as an option. I think Hinostroza makes the most sense for both sides. Vinny is a better top six option than Fischer and NJ will be looking for a top six fill-in. Hall would push Vinny down AZ's lineup too far. Also, Capobianco is NHL-ready at this moment. I would think New Jersey should be more interested in Capobianco.

If Arizona is dealing all of Raanta, Hinostroza, and Capobianco, I think that 1st needs to be conditional on Hall re-signing (2nd if he doesn't re-sign). Since Hall can re-sign after the draft, it needs to be a 2021 1st. So my offer would be:

To ARI
Taylor Hall (unsigned)

To NJD
Antti Raanta
Vinny Hinostroza
Kyle Capobianco
Conditional 2021 1st (becomes a 2nd if Halls signs elsewhere)

Reactions: Mosby

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007

Zadorov
Kaut

Zadorov and Kaut aren't worth enough to make that 1st conditional. If you make it unconditional it comes to be about what I expect the return to be but I don't love it.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Crouse should be removed as an option. I think Hinostroza makes the most sense for both sides. Vinny is a better top six option than Fischer and NJ will be looking for a top six fill-in. Hall would push Vinny down AZ's lineup too far. Also, Capobianco is NHL-ready at this moment. I would think New Jersey should be more interested in Capobianco.

If Arizona is dealing all of Raanta, Hinostroza, and Capobianco, I think that 1st needs to be conditional on Hall re-signing (2nd if he doesn't re-sign). Since Hall can re-sign after the draft, it needs to be a 2021 1st. So my offer would be:

To ARI
Taylor Hall (unsigned)

To NJD
Antti Raanta
Vinny Hinostroza
Kyle Capobianco

Hinostroza is 5’9” and slightly built and already 25. I’m not sure he fits what NJ needs. I’d think the first round pick is somethigg by that NJ would insist on. Lottery protected fine but I don’t know that another small light forward really does much for NJ.

Reactions: MichaelJ

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

To ARI
Taylor Hall (unsigned)

To NJD
Antti Raanta
Vinny Hinostroza
Kyle Capobianco

I’d take Fischer actually. He’s a RH shot and is more of a power forward, something the Devils need. I don’t see a need to immediately replace Hall in this trade. Devils are looking at a top 10 pick in a forward heavy draft. Contention is pushed back a couple more seasons.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
To NJ:
Roster player: One of Hinostroza, Fischer

To AZ:
Taylor Hall (unsigned)

I already voted against adding Hall-- but I also said if they'd eat Hossa, too (to give us summer flexibility) I'd be fine rolling the dice on something like this.

My preference is still, to ignore Hall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad