Friedman: Coyotes making a serious effort to trade for Taylor Hall (Blues, Stars, Oilers also interested)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I just noticed that the Devils have given up the 8th fewest shots/GP in the NHL this season but given up the 2nd most goals/GP.

I took at look at the combined SV% for goalies who have played at least 25 games over the last three seasons (including this one). Only two goalies (Ben Bishop and Darcy Kuemper) have better SV% than Antti Raanta’s .924 over that time frame.

Even his GAA (2.44) ranks 7th among goalies in that time despite Arizona being lousy the last couple of seasons before this one.

New Jersey seems to be in desperate need of a goaltender (based on numbers). The Coyotes happen to have two of them that are among the most elite in the NHL (based on numbers).

It seems to me that in Antti Raanta, Ray Shero has a potential trade target that could single-handedly and instantaneously make the Devils competitive in games, rather than getting smoked night after night.

I can understand why Devils fans want a rebuild. Why Devils fans don’t care about acquiring a 30 year old goalie. I can understand why they want the best package of futures possible.

But I wonder about Ray Shero. Does he feel the same? Does he fee that ownership will allow him a do-over on the rebuild? Or at least rebuild v.1.5 anyway. That he can fire his coach, trade away his big acquisitions and shoot for lottery picks yet again? And he can do so without fear of losing his job?

If he’s feeling a little pressure to at least have his team play competitively from game to game, I could see Antti Raanta being extremely attractive to him.

To NJD

Raanta
Hinostroza
Capobianco
2021 Conditional 2nd (becomes 1st if Hall re-signs with Arizona)

To ARI
Hall

Shero gets Raanta who can immediately help keep the Devils in games. He gets a young roster forward, who if given plenty of opportunity can produce offense at a respectable clip, he gets a young D that’s NHL-ready today, and can step in now. He also gets the “obligatory 1st” that he’s expected to get in a deal like this. It’s a pick so he can say he did. Checks a box.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
if I’m the devils I want nothing to do with Raanta, at least this season.

Of all the roster players being offered Raanta is the only one that’s got the ability to move the needle and could play them out of a lottery spot.

Reactions: MichaelJ

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
If Hall wants to go to a long time contender, its will not be Arizona. And Dallas in on a heavy decline, with all stars going past zenit, except Seguin. It would be funny though with Hall and Seguin on the same team, they somehow would be great together. Seguin as the smarter player though.

Its incredible hard to know wich team who is going continusly to the playoff. Pittsburgh and Boston are the only teams I can think of. And they are not in? My best shot is Avs. It makes sense. MacKinnon and Rantanden, and Makar on the rise. They will be great for years to come.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It’s impossible to predict contenders four to eight years out. Go back to 2014 and let everyone know where LA and Detroit are in the standings this year. With the draft lottery being what it is now and with the parity of the points system and a hard salary cap, it’s all up in the air now.

If Hall were to be traded to Arizona, and he decided he likes the Billionaire owner, he likes the idea of living in Scottsdale, and he likes working with Rick Tocchet and his staff (even this matters little as coaches these days seem to last an average of three seasons anyway), he’ll sign an 8yr deal if the money is right. No other team would be able to offer the 8th year in that hypothetical scenario and Arizona has a very favorable tax situation.

I’m not saying guys are beating down the doors to be Coyotes or that the team is a dynasty in the making or anything. Just that players look to sign extremely long-term are probably better off deciding if they like the area and the ownership. Everything else will change drastically before very long.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
if I’m the devils I want nothing to do with Raanta, at least this season.

Of all the roster players being offered Raanta is the only one that’s got the ability to move the needle and could play them out of a lottery spot.
No offense to Raanta, but this would not happen. And if he really would lead the Devils to the POs, each and every Devils fan would drive Hall to the Airport or if needed to Phoenix.

I assume you meant Raanta would hurt the Devils lottery chances, which is probably true. But even in games, where MKB played out of his mind, the Devils managed to lose without much problems. The bigger impact is trading away Hall's lottery luck charm.

Reactions: Evo96x

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
If Hall wants to go to a long time contender, its will not be Arizona. And Dallas in on a heavy decline, with all stars going past zenit, except Seguin. It would be funny though with Hall and Seguin on the same team, they somehow would be great together. Seguin as the smarter player though.

Its incredible hard to know wich team who is going continusly to the playoff. Pittsburgh and Boston are the only teams I can think of. And they are not in? My best shot is Avs. It makes sense. MacKinnon and Rantanden, and Makar on the rise. They will be great for years to come.
Pittsburgh?
The core of their roster is getting quickly up in age and has all kind of holes. They have played lights out at home and benefited from a home heavy schedule this season so far. But I could easily see them to follow the same path as Chicago and L.A. the next few years.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Pittsburgh?
The core of their roster is getting quickly up in age and has all kind of holes. They have played lights out at home and benefited from a home heavy schedule this season so far. But I could easily see them to follow the same path as Chicago and L.A. the next few years.

A team with winners as Malkin ( I think he stays) and Crosby, will be contenders as long they are active.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
A team with winners as Malkin ( I think he stays) and Crosby, will be contenders as long they are active.
You are not wrong. But all the top heavy build team depending on highly paid superstars can quickly drop off, when the superstar gets hurt or a few players don't age well. Those teams also normally don't swim in great pool of prospects, as they didn't had high draft picks for years and often them or the drafted players to bolster their roster with established players.
It won't be a Golden State Warriors drop off, but hanging on to an aging roster for one or two more PO runs, can quickly lead to the lottery with few available measures against.

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
There's a difference between hating it somewhere, and wanting to leave because he's getting older and wants to win, bud.

NJ isn't even close to contending for the cup, otherwise he has stated many times that he wants to win there and loves life as a Devil. Don't act like you know what runs through his mind.

Where did I say that I knew for sure? I said based off of what has transpired it makes logical sense that he's not happy there.

There's a difference between being able to comprehend what I stated and creating delusions that put words in my mouth.

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
Are you so soft, that you get caught up over someone not agreeing with your pure speculation? Grow a thicker skin or provide some evidence for the baseless claims.

He also said he wants to play for a consistent winner, which basically excludes all teams in Canada. :scared:

There's a difference between whining about the specific use of a word and calling you out for it but whatever helps you sleep at night.

As I've repeatedly stated everyone besides Hall is speculating at this point so unless you've personally interviewed him and asked, you can jump down from your pedestal.

If he truly wants to play for a "consistent winner" that would literally leave about 3 teams. Essentially all the others that have actually won the cup in recent years are no longer contenders.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Where did I say that I knew for sure? I said based off of what has transpired it makes logical sense that he's not happy there.

There's a difference between being able to comprehend what I stated and creating delusions that put words in my mouth.

Sorry bud but if Hall didn't hate it in New Jersey he would have already signed an extension.

It's clear as day he wasn't happy being traded there from Edmonton.

With this being the case, going to an even lesser hockey market sure as hell isn't going to be his cup of tea
Presented as a fact.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

And here as well:
Why would Arizona bother paying such a price for a rental?

No way Hall signs there when he already hates it in New Jersey.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Poorly interpreted by you doesn't make it a fact.
If it wasn't poorly worded by you, it wouldn't have wrongly interpreted.

As I did wrongly interpreted your words, it is a fact, that you have poorly worded it. qed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad