Confirmed with Link: Coyotes fire Steve Sullivan

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Not sure why this comes as a suprise to anyone. Timing is a bit weird but we hadn’t heard anything about Sullivan after BA came in and installed his crew. It’s also not uncommon for somebody to leave after not being chosen for a promotion.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Termination does not require cause. You can terminate any employee without cause. The employee might have rights that are in place to protect him, like still getting paid. For him to not get paid, it has to be a pretty egregious violation the way employment law works these days, the courts generally side with the employee.
For an every day employee I agree, but upper management with a contract is totally different.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not sure why this comes as a suprise to anyone. Timing is a bit weird but we hadn’t heard anything about Sullivan after BA came in and installed his crew. It’s also not uncommon for somebody to leave after not being chosen for a promotion.
He didn't leave, he was terminated.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The timing of the termination and the nature of the termination are highly irregular and very much surprising.

Reactions: Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

The team statement implies an outright termination for cause which is very much a surprise.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Perhaps Sullivan was just at odds philosophically with Armstrong, hence the initial switch from doing GM things to scouting, and then on Sullivan's second chance he didn't adapt to what Armstrong wanted, hence getting terminated. I really doubt this is much more than the brain trust all needing to be on the same page, and that page being distinctly different from what it was under Chayka.

His initial demotion of duties might also have something to do with how he handled the interim position. I know he was getting intel on trade valuations, but if Armstrong really didn't want to trade OEL, OEL didn't really want to be traded, and ownership didn't want to, but deferred to management on what to do, and yet Sullivan still went about shopping him, then I could see Armstrong being pissed that Sullivan credited that headache for him to fix on day one. I could see Armstrong giving him the benefit of the doubt even though he hated how he'd handled that, but after reassigning him within the team and still not being impressed with him, he's finally just given the axe.

Reactions: slv

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We should add a poll:

Who breaks the real story?

A. Coyotes Insider
B. Gambo the Clown
C. One of the intrepid newcomers or old hands in local sports who has moxie and sees the opportunity to earn the word "journalist"
D. Another Canadian or New York based commentator
E. Noone, the story becomes lost to history like the tomes of Alexandria

Coyotes already said they aren't talking about it anymore, so we can safely cross off any risk of selection A. How do the odds breakdown B-D? Have to think D is a heavy favourite. Then probably Gambo approaching near-second. Even odds on C and E?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We should add a poll:

Who breaks the real story?

A. Coyotes Insider
B. Gambo the Clown
C. One of the intrepid newcomers or old hands in local sports who has moxie and sees the opportunity to earn the word "journalist"
D. Another Canadian or New York based commentator
E. Noone, the story becomes lost to history like the tomes of Alexandria

Coyotes already said they aren't talking about it anymore, so we can safely cross off any risk of selection A. How do the odds breakdown B-D? Have to think D is a heavy favourite. Then probably Gambo approaching near-second. Even odds on C and E?
I'd say 75% E and 25% D.

Reactions: SniperHF

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Eh, something will leak eventually. It just takes a little time. But the less effort those guys put into it, the longer it takes. Sully has too many friends around the league for it to just completely disappear, imo.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's very on brand for news to break about the team and all Craig Morgan has to say is "yeah he wasn't made available to me 3x." Not even a shred of information.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It's very on brand for news to break about the team and all Craig Morgan has to say is "yeah he wasn't made available to me 3x." Not even a shred of information.
Also, the "not a surprise" announcement , as though everyone should have expected it even though he's never once taken the opportunity to so much as hint something was up in the past several weeks.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
They have even more rights than a rank and file employee.
Exactly. That's why when Sullivan was terminated it was a little more serious than calling in sick. The Yotes needed a just cause, and I guess they got it to there way of thinking. Many on this board were hoping he would be our next GM.

KG

Sep 23, 2010

true tho

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Guessing BA was not impressed with his handling of trade talks prior to his arrival plus he had some involvement in the Miller pick.

Weird to do it in the middle of the season so abruptly.

Also, a termination of the contract requires cause as opposed to firing soooo

I assume you mean the phrase termination of contract sounds like he's not getting paid so they'd definitely have to have cause for that. That's the way I'm reading it and maybe that's why they aren't commenting. Seems like with all that time remaining on his contract, they'd keep him around doing something rather than just pay him to leave. We don't have Toronto money after all. So I have to believe they found a way to not pay him. Definitely interested to know the reason if that's true. Certainly hope it helps get our damn pick back.

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
Yeah I don’t even know why I bothered with the main board’s thread.

Pittsburgh fan saying we should fold is just rich. As if they didn’t need generational talents to save their franchise from going under not once but twice!

Those guys won’t be fans in a few years since Pens aren’t on the contender train anymore and won’t be for a while...

I’d bet that many of them doesn’t even know that Penguins have had some harder times

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad