Confirmed with Link: Coyotes fire Steve Sullivan

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Honestly. After a few hours of reflection. Im glad the article was written. Spell all this shit out now so these issues can be addressed. If it has been dysfunctional (and given the lack of ownership experience in hockey and sports in general it damn well should have been) then lets get it out there and make things better. Shane Doan you are up. Fix the culture.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Friedman:

2. Steve Sullivan signed a four-year extension last season, and, from the moment the Coyotes announced his termination, this was headed for mediation/arbitration. Sullivan and the new regime led by Bill Armstrong had no love for each other. There will be interest in his services, possibly from Nashville, a very successful stop during his playing career. There must be decisions made on when he can join another team, and whether or not Arizona had legal grounds to terminate him. No comment from anyone involved, but this isn’t over.

Reactions: RemoAZ

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If we terminated his contract, he doesn't get paid, but he is free to go anywhere he wants. If he wants to be paid AND dismissed to do whatever he'd like, it'll take longer to sort.

technoviking

Whatever's Clever
Aug 14, 2013
Scottsdale
I did get the feeling that BA wasn’t happy with having ‘inherited’ the OEL situation as he put it on a podcast I listened to over the summer. So that could certainly be something that created an issue.

Reactions: _Del_

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Friedman:

2. Steve Sullivan signed a four-year extension last season, and, from the moment the Coyotes announced his termination, this was headed for mediation/arbitration. Sullivan and the new regime led by Bill Armstrong had no love for each other. There will be interest in his services, possibly from Nashville, a very successful stop during his playing career. There must be decisions made on when he can join another team, and whether or not Arizona had legal grounds to terminate him. No comment from anyone involved, but this isn’t over.
I was wondering about Sullivan's contract status and extensions, but couldn't find anything saying he'd extended last year, so I didn't expand on what I think might have been the impetus to firing him. If Chayka had done the extension prior to his own outs, Meruelo may be contending that at that point Chayka was no longer acting in the team's interest, but things had not yet come to a head causing him to self-terminate. Thus, they may be claiming that Sullivan's contract should be voided as they are linking it directly to Chayka's acts of defiance.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
From today's 31 Thoughts:

"19. According to multiple sources, a lot of the dispute between the Coyotes and former associate GM Steve Sullivan was about specific duties outlined in his contract. They were asking him to do things he felt were not in his responsibilities. They fired him for cause and he’s going to fight it."

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

"19. According to multiple sources, a lot of the dispute between the Coyotes and former associate GM Steve Sullivan was about specific duties outlined in his contract. They were asking him to do things he felt were not in his responsibilities. They fired him for cause and he’s going to fight it."

Seems like they demoted him to a glorified scout and he didn't want to travel around like that, so they fired him.

Fighting it makes no sense if you supposedly have other suitors.

Reactions: Jakey53

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Fighting it makes no sense if you supposedly have other suitors.

Right now, the Coyotes are suffering hard in the court of public opinion, so he probably think it's in his best interests to make their lives worse.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
At least it doesn't sound like some horrifyingly humiliating bombshell of insanity. It sounds more like buyer's remorse and monkey wrenching bullshit. Kinda run of the mill nonsense. Not super special nonsense.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Friedman:

At least it doesn't sound like some horrifyingly humiliating bombshell of insanity. It sounds more like buyer's remorse and monkey wrenching bullshit. Kinda run of the mill nonsense. Not super special nonsense.

Putting 2 and 2 together, though:

It sounds to me like this was a slow-motion car wreck waiting to happen. If Armstrong had made it clear that he didn't think highly of Sullivan, what if Sullivan's "revenge" was to take Miller and leave BA and staff to clean up that mess?

I mean, we are talking about the player who went over to that fan who got hit by the puck in the face after he made fun of Sullivan for getting hit in the face, so Sullivan would be the type to hold a grudge....

This is all speculation, yet I feel like this would make total sense in a very weird and messed up sort of way.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Putting 2 and 2 together, though:

It sounds to me like this was a slow-motion car wreck waiting to happen. If Armstrong had made it clear that he didn't think highly of Sullivan, what if Sullivan's "revenge" was to take Miller and leave BA and staff to clean up that mess?

I mean, we are talking about the player who went over to that fan who got hit by the puck in the face after he made fun of Sullivan for getting hit in the face, so Sullivan would be the type to hold a grudge....

This is all speculation, yet I feel like this would make total sense in a very weird and messed up sort of way.

Come on, man. Most people would have been disappointed if he didn't do that.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Come on, man. Most people would have been disappointed if he didn't do that.

I totally get it, haha. But, that's something that makes you wonder if you cross Sully, you got a whole world of shit coming to you in the end...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Made him stay up after his bedtime? Had to take a red eye flight? Had to pay for his McMuffin? Couldn't stay at a 5 star hotel? Was told he was in control of the draft? Cry me a river. Tell Sullivan he should go join his buddy Chayka and learn how to flip hamburgers for a living during that night shift.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Made him stay up after his bedtime? Had to take a red eye flight? Had to pay for his McMuffin? Couldn't stay at a 5 star hotel? Was told he was in control of the draft? Cry me a river. Tell Sullivan he should go join his buddy Chayka and learn how to flip hamburgers for a living during that night shift.
On what information are you basing this narrative?

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad