Confirmed with Link: Coyotes claim Eric Comrie off waivers from WPG

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It's going to be something stupid like Raanta for JJ+ and/or retention.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Tocchet refused to comment on Hill the other day, right? Or did I make that up.

Has to be related.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tocchet refused to comment on Hill the other day, right? Or did I make that up.

Has to be related.

I mean, logic it out.

Does it make sense to claim a guy that has less NHL cache when your farm system is already clogged up? Does it make sense to deny your internal stater-to-be in Hill the opportunity to earn some NHL paychecks and travel/be with the team? They expect Comrie to stay once Raanta is up to speed. Someone has to go.

It's that or it's just a bizarre rental goalie situation. Put on waivers once Raanta is right, Winnipeg takes him back and sends him back down, no takers this time.

Reactions: Grimes

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
They’re getting what is essentially a free look at Comrie.

Maybe goalie coach Corey Schwab had some input on this?? Chayka mentioned they had been looking at him for a while.

Nevertheless.... It keeps Hill on the long term development program they’ve had him on without disturbing it.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Comrie would still have to clear waivers again to be sent to the AHL though right? Unless if I'm misunderstanding that. I feel like that's the most confusing part

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Comrie would still have to clear waivers again to be sent to the AHL though right? Unless if I'm misunderstanding that. I feel like that's the most confusing part

Yes, Winnipeg gets first dibbs.

Usually GMs talk to each other and have a pretty good idea of what plans are for a given player. Comrie isn't really likely to get claimed by many other orgs because they all have young goalies of their own. He's an AHL starter at this point, nothing more.

It makes zero sense to keep Comrie unless they are moving a goalie. It makes an okay amount of sense if they are just straight up renting him for a few weeks. That role would normally be Hill's. Comrie's body of work to date doesn't suggest the stated reason ("we tracked him and he's good") passes the smell test.

Comrie makes sense as a platoon goalie in Tucson and not much more.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If they love Prosvetov (sp?) then maybe Hill is on his way out of town and they are using Comrie to be a warm body here while Raanta sorts out, and then afterwards he goes through waivers (where no one else wants him). Comrie is a pretty decent AHL goaltender who can start quite a few games if Prosvetov isn't physically or mentally ready for a full season workload.I

If that's true, I hope they score something good for Hill.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yes, Winnipeg gets first dibbs.

Usually GMs talk to each other and have a pretty good idea of what plans are for a given player. Comrie isn't really likely to get claimed by many other orgs because they all have young goalies of their own. He's an AHL starter at this point, nothing more.

It makes zero sense to keep Comrie unless they are moving a goalie. It makes an okay amount of sense if they are just straight up renting him for a few weeks. That role would normally be Hill's. Comrie's body of work to date doesn't suggest the stated reason ("we tracked him and he's good") passes the smell test.

Comrie makes sense as a platoon goalie in Tucson and not much more.

Winnipeg doesn't get first dibs. Ottawa would, followed by LA, NJ, Detroit, etc. Reverse standing from last season. Assuming the waiver is before Nov 1st. After that it switches to this season's standings.

Winnipeg can claim Comrie and send him down to the AHL if they're the only team to submit a claim. But they don't get any priority to reclaim him.

Reactions: hn777

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Can’t imagine Hill has any trade value of note. He’s no better or worse than most minor league goalies.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I don't mind this. But I'm of the opinion that Hill is hot garbage. All I see is a Smith/Darling hybrid but not as good as either.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Sounds like the plan is maybe to use Comrie as the backup when Kuemper starts. Then Kuemper would back up when Raanta starts. That way Raanta would never have to go in cold and potentially tweak something. This also allows Hill to get reps in at the AHL level rather than sit on a bench or in a press box.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Can’t imagine Hill has any trade value of note. He’s no better or worse than most minor league goalies.
Buried goalies are always cheap. It's how we got Keumper, for example. And Hill doesn't have his resume. But hes young and cheap, and probably could hold down a backup spot. Plus, goalies are a bit of voodoo.
No reason to move him unless he wants out or we get something we want. Even if it's just a defenseman stuck in a similar position.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Sounds like the plan is maybe to use Comrie as the backup when Kuemper starts. Then Kuemper would back up when Raanta starts. That way Raanta would never have to go in cold and potentially tweak something. This also allows Hill to get reps in at the AHL level rather than sit on a bench or in a press box.
Where’d this get started? I’d love to read it?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Don’t follow Twitter much?? ;)

Raanta hasn’t played a regular season game in 10 months. They said he had a good practice yesterday..... but the team seems to be taking the cautious route. Just like they did with several players last season.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Raanta looked so terrible in his only appearance in preseason that the Coyotes have put him on the shelf for a while. He's weeks or perhaps a monthaway in my opinion.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Raanta looked so terrible in his only appearance in preseason that the Coyotes have put him on the shelf for a while. He's weeks or perhaps a monthaway in my opinion.
Raanta has not played a regular season game in 10 months. What kind of injury did he have to keep him out this long? Did we ever find out? Raanta played one game in the preseason so I doubt very much he is months away from playing, unless he hurt himself again.

rt

May 13, 2004
Don’t follow Twitter much?? ;)

Raanta hasn’t played a regular season game in 10 months. They said he had a good practice yesterday..... but the team seems to be taking the cautious route. Just like they did with several players last season.
Who from the team was quoted on twitter as saying the team would carry three healthy goalies on the NHL roster and would dress Comrie only to back up Kuemper in games where Kuemper starts.

To my knowledge this represents a tremendously novel approach and is not something we’ve seen in the NHL before. At least not in the last quarter century. It would be a pretty big precedent. At least kind of a big f***ing deal. And certainly something worth checking into beyond

“Do you even Twitter bro?”

Which was a bullshit response.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Where’d this get started? I’d love to read it?

My head haha.

I believe Detroit used a similar approach when dealing with Hasek’s fragile groin. I want to say the other two goalies were Osgood and Legace.

Reactions: rt

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don’t see a 3 headed goalie corps as a viable Lon term, or even intermediate solution. Goalies are head cases as so much of their game is mental. In a 2 goalie system each knows his place. In a 3 man system the tendency will be to look over your shoulder worrying that playing time might be taken away.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Who from the team was quoted on twitter as saying the team would carry three healthy goalies on the NHL roster and would dress Comrie only to back up Kuemper in games where Kuemper starts.

To my knowledge this represents a tremendously novel approach and is not something we’ve seen in the NHL before. At least not in the last quarter century. It would be a pretty big precedent. At least kind of a big ****ing deal. And certainly something worth checking into beyond

Which was a bull**** response.

It got the response it deserved.

Are you going to tell me you've never speculated about anything??? Or ASSUMED something that was posted was something completely different from what it really meant???

Please excuse the rest of us for even daring to think out side of the box you've defined for everyone.

And what's so novel about this?? As someone dared to suggest above..... Eric Cromrie is the new Calvin Pickard.

rt

May 13, 2004
It got the response it deserved.

Are you going to tell me you've never speculated about anything??? Or ASSUMED something that was posted was something completely different from what it really meant???

Please excuse the rest of us for even daring to think out side of the box you've defined for everyone.

And what's so novel about this?? As someone dared to suggest above..... Eric Cromrie is the new Calvin Pickard.
This phrasing made me think it was sourced. “Sounds like the plan...”. Why wouldn’t it?

No team carries three healthy goalies, and has no plans to start one. Using him only as a backup for one goalie. It doesn’t happen. It’s completely novel. Show me one example of this ever happening.

Calvin Pickard was a temporary injury replacement. That obviously happens all the time. Thats not what was suggested.

It’s fine to speculate. If he wasn’t speculating and it seemed as though he wasn’t, I thought I was misusing a source.

Then you chime in suggesting I should read f***ing twitter and maybe I’d find a source there. There isn’t a source on twitter. So what the f*** were you even taking about? Nothing. That’s the answer. You were just being an ass.

Which I’m happy to forgive. I’m usually the ass around here. :)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

To my knowledge this represents a tremendously novel approach and is not something we’ve seen in the NHL before. At least not in the last quarter century. It would be a pretty big precedent. At least kind of a big ****ing deal. And certainly something worth checking into beyond

Which was a bull**** response.
A few teams have carried three goalies for awhile, but not for the reasons stated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad