Confirmed with Link: Coyotes claim Eric Comrie off waivers from WPG

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I would suspect neither goalie has great trade value. Coyote goalies are kinda known for doing well here and being unable to repeat that once they leave. The system makes them look better than they are.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
I would assume any trade for Raanta would have levels of conditions such as games played, playoffs, etc over the remaining contract.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He’s the one with the most trade value.
Raanta is arguably the better netminder but health is a huge question mark. We can’t trust him to play so I don’t think it’s a question of who has the best trade value. It’s who can we win with and ensure we are set up to win going forward.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Raanta is arguably the better netminder but health is a huge question mark

I think you lean toward Raanta, provided he comes back reasonably, AND if Kuemper takes a slight step back performance wise. But he has shown zero indication of that in the early season.

Performance wise the difference is imperceptible in their most recent body of work. My eye test says Raanta is slightly better and more capable of stealing games. Stats wise Raanta put up .930 on a worse team but Kuemper put up .925 in a higher league scoring level season and played more games. It's a wash. Raanta's performance level goes back more years which I think gives him the nod in that regard.

If Kuemper stays right where his current level of play is, I don't think it's a contest, he'll win this eventually.

And frankly how many teams love their goalie until they hate his guts at some point. People hated Kuemper for a bit now he's the fan favorite. He could stink it up come back and stink it up again several times before this is over. And Raanta could have 5 more injuries. One could be hot in April and carry us into May. Keeping both at their current dollar level is a realistic option unless one demands out.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would suspect neither goalie has great trade value. Coyote goalies are kinda known for doing well here and being unable to repeat that once they leave. The system makes them look better than they are.
If not for Kuemper last year we would have been a bottom five team, and our D would have looked average. Kuemper was our MVP by a Saskatchewan mile. I agree that neither have great trade value at the moment, but that could change by the trading deadline.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If not for Kuemper last year we would have been a bottom five team, and our D would have looked average. Kuemper was our MVP by a Saskatchewan mile. I agree that neither have great trade value at the moment, but that could change by the trading deadline.
I'm aware of how good and how important Keumper was last year but do you think he repeats that with a team like the Leaf's which was the suggestion? In my time in the desert we have had Bryz, Smith, Dubnyk, Greiss , Raanta, and Keumper. Almost all played their best hockey in our defence first system and have not repeated it elsewhere without the same emphasis on defence.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm aware of how good and how important Keumper was last year but do you think he repeats that with a team like the Leaf's which was the suggestion? In my time in the desert we have had Bryz, Smith, Dubnyk, Greiss , Raanta, and Keumper. Almost all played their best hockey in our defence first system and have not repeated it elsewhere without the same emphasis on defence.
I think Dubnyk and Greiss have demonstrated they can play well elsewhere. Bryz was real good with our D in front of him in the playoffs.;)

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think Dubnyk and Greiss have demonstrated they can play well elsewhere. Bryz was real good with our D in front of him in the playoffs.;)
I think you missed tge part about team playing D first in front of them. Greiss does well in years Islanders lock it down, and isn't a starter.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think you missed tge part about team playing D first in front of them. Greiss does well in years Islanders lock it down, and isn't a starter.
Whatever. You have your opinion, and I have mine.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I keep both Kuemper and Raanta along with Comrie, unless an injury bug hits us again (keep 1 f, 1 d, and 1 g on the bench). Now if something juicy comes along (say a scoring forward), I'm fine with moving pretty much any of our goalies (although I think I'll like Prosvetov if he proves NHL worthy)

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Definitely some truth to that when Tippet was at the helm but I don't think that's the case with Tocchet.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Definitely some truth to that when Tippet was at the helm but I don't think that's the case with Tocchet.
So do you believe Raanta is a top 2 goalie in the NHL and Kuemper is top 6 for last two seasons as the stats suggest?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
So do you believe Raanta is a top 2 goalie in the NHL and Kuemper is top 6 for last two seasons as the stats suggest?
No I believe Coyotes goalies under Rick Tocchet do not have the reputation you were claiming they do. Under Tippet yes, under Tocchet no.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
No I believe Coyotes goalies under Rick Tocchet do not have the reputation you were claiming they do. Under Tippet yes, under Tocchet no.
The Coyotes are still seen as a defence first team . Not to the level of Tippet but both of our goalies have better stats in AZ than the rest of their careers. I doubt many see that as a coincidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->