Confirmed with Link: Coyotes claim Eric Comrie off waivers from WPG

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The only thing that really makes sense is to have him temporarily on the roster and carry three goalies, then he’s gone soon. Can’t send him to the AHL. Maybe didn’t want to disrupt the whole minor league goaltender plan.

Reactions: Gm0ney

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
This doesn't make sense on about five levels right now. I'm hoping there's another move on the way to explain this.

I’m thinking along the lines that there’s a trade in the works here. Not necessarily because Hill wants out or anything but because he could be part of something Chayka’s been working on.

Reactions: Jakey53

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
The only thing that really makes sense is to have him temporarily on the roster and carry three goalies, then he’s gone soon. Can’t send him to the AHL. Maybe didn’t want to disrupt the whole minor league goaltender plan.

I feel like we missed out on a couple real nice dart throws in order to carry a third goalie than. Petan, Spring even Ho-Sang is interesting.

Reactions: Lilhoody

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Comrie's shown improvement over the years - he's a reasonable goalie prospect I think. But yeah, doesn't make a ton of sense unless you're carrying three goalies to start.

Good luck to the Yotes this season! May you beat Vegas early and often...

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I’m thinking along the lines that there’s a trade in the works here. Not necessarily because Hill wants out or anything but because he could be part of something Chayka’s been working on.

The only issue with that is the Yotes can't expect to be able to send Comrie to the AHL. Do you think they'd really want Comrie longer term for the NHL roster?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The only issue with that is the Yotes can't expect to be able to send Comrie to the AHL. Do you think they'd really want Comrie longer term for the NHL roster?

Not sure.

I just get the feeling there’s a trade in this somewhere. Chayka’s been too quiet on this front for too long.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Might be working on a trade with the Pens if they passed up DeSmith, who is a much better temporary starting option and is signed to a cheap deal.

Otherwise I just assume Comrie is a warm body for a few weeks.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Only other possible thing I can think of is maybe Madsen isn't fully recovered from hip surgery - but that seems like a terrible reason to claim an AHL goalie off waivers.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
We might be trading one of our starters.

Yeah, but why then pick up Comrie? He would need to be in the NHL when he is aquired as a claim. I don't get it. You want Kuemper/Comrie, Raanta/Comrie? None makes sense. Unless Comrie is ready and the Jets have just done a massive blunder (not likely). If one of the starters were traded, a goalie-pickup should be on the AHL-level (and almost not necessary there, with the current depth.) Trade Hill? Yeah, still a problem Comrie is unmoveable to the AHL?

I like the carry three goalies-explanation best so far. Even if it sadly means they just wait for one in the tandem (and we know who) to get injured again.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Could it be some weird roster move where the jets and yotes are just helping each other out? Jets claimed a guy from the hawks as well and they have issues with little and buf.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Could it be some weird roster move where the jets and yotes are just helping each other out? Jets claimed a guy from the hawks as well and they have issues with little and buf.
I don't think so as the Jets are now quite short in goalie depth.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
The comments on Hill not practicing still seem odd and suspicious to me, but it looks like Comrie might just be this year’s Calvin Pickard for a little bit....

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Looks like they just wanted and have wanted Comrie for a while and he was free, added bonus that he's also insurance as Raanta gets back into regular season form.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Perhaps they just weren't ready to hand the #2 goalie slot to Hill for some reason. He definitely got screwed over in the Comrie addition.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Still really odd to have Comrie fill that role when you have Hill already doing it. Might end up using him in trade to get a D.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm guessing Chayka's been shopping one of our goalies to a team that is below us in the waiver claim order. Didn't want Comrie to ruin the deal.

As I type that, I realize that it's such an aggressive negotiating tactic that it would probably backfire.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm guessing Chayka's been shopping one of our goalies to a team that is below us in the waiver claim order. Didn't want Comrie to ruin the deal.

As I type that, I realize that it's such an aggressive negotiating tactic that it would probably backfire.

There are/were better goalies available. Comrie isn't a big deal, which might be why they took him; Winnipeg doesn't mind losing him and he would be happy to split time in Tucson, unlike Hill. Potentially.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad