Post-Game Talk: Coyotes at Avalanche 7PM MST | Please sir, may we have some goals?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He was skating pretty hard tonight. Partially the reason I think a lot of this is on our coaching staff. When Phx changed their game plan for the 2nd after our play in the 1st we had no answer. In the third our players looked even more lost and inept. Part of that is having a plan! Coaches build out a game plan and get the players ready.

Looked ready in the 1st. Had no clue what to do in the 2nd and 3rd.

Our players looked a lot better in the 3rd than in the 2nd. They just didn't get any bounces.
As for Landy, I didn't think he skated hard at all. Once or twice he took a few powerful strides but he never gave an effort the full game at all. He had 3 or 4 shifts were he actually played hard. The rest of the game he acted like that superstar in junior who feels he's too good to try all the time.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
So Wilson will be back against the Wild, get hurt against the Stars (game 1), then Holden will be back in and everything will be back to normal for Stars game 2?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Roy said he's been juggling the lines too much.

Sounds like he'll go back to ROR-Duchy, Landy-Staz and McGinn-Mitchell-Talbot groups.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
So Wilson will be back against the Wild, get hurt against the Stars (game 1), then Holden will be back in and everything will be back to normal for Stars game 2?

Thank goodness we still have our 1st round pick! :laugh:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Our players looked a lot better in the 3rd than in the 2nd. They just didn't get any bounces.
As for Landy, I didn't think he skated hard at all. Once or twice he took a few powerful strides but he never gave an effort the full game at all. He had 3 or 4 shifts were he actually played hard. The rest of the game he acted like that superstar in junior who feels he's too good to try all the time.

Landy didn't look good today. He tends to disappear a lot, like Stastny. He's our leading scorer so I'm not going to complain again but I do think giving him the C was premature.

The biggest reason we are in a funk is Duchene. I have no idea what happened to him but he's not getting any chances.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Maybe Roy can bring his cell phone with him behind the bench and finalize a trade before he gets his first shift.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Again, people may disagree, but this to me is on the Coaching staff as well as the players. They don't seem to have an answer to fix the problem. I can't think of a game we've overcome adversity outside of maybe the PHX game and the CGY game.

Ever since teams figured us out and started exposing us we have no answer or response to adjust properly. All we do is get a lead on a goal from a rush and sit on it as long as we can. The number of games we've gotten the lead and we've kept the pedal on the gas doesn't exist outside of 1 or two games.

Got to say I disagree. The coaching staff can't score goals. They've tried all sorts of line combos, D pairings etc. The coaching staff can't go score goals on the PP, they can't prevent critical injuries.

You have no idea if they are changing the game plan or not because it's up to the players to execute it. If they aren't executing what are the coaches supposed to do? Go do it for them?

As much as you want the team to change it up, you still have to incorporate what you do best, which is a speed game and scoring off the rush. You can't play a game your team isn't suited to play.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I only saw bits and pieces of the game, but damn EJ played 27:31, thats 6 minutes more than the closest player. Mitchell got 18:26 and Barrie got 19:19. Stastny with only 16:36.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Landy didn't look good today. He tends to disappear a lot, like Stastny. He's our leading scorer so I'm not going to complain again but I do think giving him the C was premature.

I won't argue with this. I think Roy was kind of stuck leaving it with him. Wouldn't be shocked if someone else had it next year.

hawk30

Oct 5, 2009
Rochester, NY
We look like a team whose practices consist entirely of flow drills. Our puck protection is simply abysmal. There is virtually no net presence and no penetration into scoring areas off the cycle. We may defend as a unit, but we attack with at most 2 people.

The PP is inexcusable. It defies logic.

EDIT: Wanted to add that our zone entries are pathetic. The puck carrier has little to no support and the forwards often enter the zone abreast (i.e. in a parallel line). Nobody creates separation from the defensive line and nobody drives the net to push the weak side defenders back. There's no thought there at all.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
We look like a team whose practices consist entirely of flow drills. Our puck protection is simply abysmal. There is virtually no net presence and no penetration into scoring areas off the cycle. We may defend as a unit, but we attack with at most 2 people.

The PP is inexcusable. It defies logic.

Well in practice, they get to play against our defense. So they look like world beaters.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Avs are 1st in the league when scoring first. Only team that's 100%.

They're 23rd in the league when trailing first. 3 wins 10 losses for 23%.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy basically said they played great in the first but when you get chances, they need to take better shots. He said players have more time than they think but their confidence is lacking. He said they're going to need to change up how they attack and need to start scoring ugly goals.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
idk about you guys, but I am soaking my sorrows in some ice cream.

No booze for me, as I am not the legal age........... :sarcasm:

Or I ran out.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

I won't argue with this. I think Roy was kind of stuck leaving it with him. Wouldn't be shocked if someone else had it next year.

Good god guys.

Move on from this. Landeskog is not likely to get stripped of the "C". Why, in a game where A LOT of players are to blame, including Duchene who many want as the Captain, are we calling for Landeskog to get stripped of his Captaincy?

Doesn't make sense and beating a dead horse (which that subject is) is aggravating.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
He never should have changed from that in the first place.

I don't blame him. The Offense wasn't/isn't there, it's his duty/obligation as the Head Coach to try and do something to jumpstart that area.

Unlike Sacco who would give up on something no more than 2 minutes into a game.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
Wilson taking Holden's spot will be nice...until Wilson get's hurt again. We desperately need Hejda back and hopefully he's not gimpy in his return.

After he's gone a while or after an off-season, we always think we are getting a top 4 dman back,because this is what management wants us to believe, but the reality is every time he comes back from injuries he sucks a #5-6 at best. Holden out is a good thing though. The question is who takes Barrie, Guenin, Sarich and Benoit spots

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad