Post-Game Talk: Coyotes at Avalanche 7PM MST | Please sir, may we have some goals?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I have zero doubt now that this whole time coaching hasn't been the problem, even Sacco wasn't the problem. This team just doesn't have the right players up and down the roster to be a winning team.

Again I wasn't fooled with the hot start because even with Sacco the Avs had a winning stretch before going down hill.

Edit: they don't have the right forwards, they certainly don't have the right D and they don't have the right captain to provide leadership

Last edited:

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Again I wasn't fooled with the hot start because even with Sacco the Avs had a winning stretch before going down hill.

I specifically remember you talking about how there is no need to panic in the early going of the season because of the Avs' great record.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I have zero doubt now that this whole time coaching hasn't been the problem, even Sacco wasn't the problem. This team just doesn't have the right players up and down the roster to be a winning team.

Oh come on, get real. Let's just sell everyone off and use the team from Lake Erie. Try watching the games if you really think that.

A young team that's never won anything having some mental struggles? Shocking. Let's just all become Blackhawks fans, life will be much easier.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

Edit: they don't have the right forwards, they certainly don't have the right D and they don't have the right captain to provide leadership

Oh will you please shut up. All you ever do is post negative stuff about this team. Every time we lose you always have an "I told you so" attitude and when we're winning it's never good enough. You relish in the Avs' failure. This team could win a Stanley Cup and you'd still ***** about it because it was not convincing enough.

Do everyone a favor and join the Blackhawks or Bruins bandwagon.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
You guys sure flip flop like crazy. Wow.

Yeah, I think I'm done with these game day threads. Duchene gets a goal, and he needs to be in Socchi and he's a top 5 forward in the league. Roy is a saviour. They have a bad game or give up a goal and the season is over and they someone who was being called a god a week before is being called the worst player on the team.

I enjoy the game more not reading so many emotionally hyper-sensitive posts.

edit: oh, and the inability to understand that SOMETIMES a team loses because the other team is simply a better team with better players. Sure sometimes your team just has a bad game or it's players play bad and they don't give themselves a chance or it's an opponent they should beat, but if we simply got outplayed by a superior player, every goal against etc. would be criticized on here like it was our total control and our total fault and we handed it to them.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
After going 14-2-0 at the start, we have been playing 6-7-0. That was 500 hockey before tonight. And here everyone is acting like we are on a ten game losing streak. Man, people got spoiled fast.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
Yeah, I think I'm done with these game day threads. Duchene gets a goal, and he needs to be in Socchi and he's a top 5 forward in the league. Roy is a saviour. They have a bad game or give up a goal and the season is over and they someone who was being called a god a week before is being called the worst player on the team.

I enjoy the game more not reading so many emotionally hyper-sensitive posts.

edit: oh, and the inability to understand that SOMETIMES a team loses because the other team is simply a better team with better players. Sure sometimes your team just has a bad game or it's players play bad and they don't give themselves a chance or it's an opponent they should beat, but if we simply got outplayed by a superior player, every goal against etc. would be criticized on here like it was our total control and our total fault and we handed it to them.

We had some embarrassing defensive breakdowns in this one.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
After going 14-2-0 at the start, we have been playing 6-7-0. That was 500 hockey before tonight. And here everyone is acting like we are on a ten game losing streak. Man, people got spoiled fast.

I know. It's not like the Avs are a young team under a new coach that finished second last the previous the year and are going through natural struggles...

Some people allowed their expectations for this team to get way to high after our hot start. This team had some obvious issues to start the year and now some are acting like the sky is falling.

If the Avs start losing 7-8 straight then I'll panic.

Last edited:

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
All we really need right now is for our top 6 players to get some sort of dirty goal. That will loosen up the grip on their hockey sticks and the flood gates will open.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
We had some embarrassing defensive breakdowns in this one.

Do they not EVERY game? I'd be shocked if Phoenix had more than 10 good scoring chances tonight. The Avs flat out dominated the 1st and gave them nothing. They blew it in the 2nd after a horrible interference call on Holden and a couple bad breakdowns. Then played a lot better in the 3rd for the most part. The team is like the fans here. So up and down.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This is the team I want to root for. If they are not good enough then so be it. I believe they will be winners some day, even if it takes a while to get there. It was never going to be an easy ride. I'm disappointed and it always feels like they are never going to win again after a loss. Good thing they have 53 more games to go.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
I went back through and looked at the goals we gave up. Bordeleau does a good job of back checking on the second one, but all of a sudden starts gliding once he gets to the top of the circles. If he keeps moving his feet that goal does not get scored.

The third one is embarrassing all around. The only player that made the correct read was Barrie. They dump it into our zone so Bordeleau and McLeod decide to go for a leisurely change. Holden took his sweet old time to get to the puck. Showing his complete lack of awareness, by the time he even looked around, the forechecker had pulled up even with him. Barrie had moved to the corner to provide puck support. Barrie went to recover. Cliche being the third man in should have seen (he was able to) that Barrie was picking up the man down low and turned to pick up the next guy in the zone, but he didn't. Literally 4 out of 5 players made a completely boneheaded play. That'd be why Roy lost his marbles on the bench. But none of that happens if an NHL quality defenseman properly retrieves that puck...

EDIT: Cliche's wasn't so bad actually. It's easy to bite on something like that.

Last edited:

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
Do they not EVERY game? I'd be shocked if Phoenix had more than 10 good scoring chances tonight. The Avs flat out dominated the 1st and gave them nothing. They blew it in the 2nd after a horrible interference call on Holden and a couple bad breakdowns. Then played a lot better in the 3rd for the most part. The team is like the fans here. So up and down.

See my last post. The third goal was a catastrophic meltdown.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
This is the team I want to root for. If they are not good enough then so be it. I believe they will be winners some day, even if it takes a while to get there. It was never going to be an easy ride. I'm disappointed and it always feels like they are never going to win again after a loss. Good thing they have 53 more games to go.

Wait. Hold on.

You're telling me we don't go from 1st overall pick to Stanley Cup in 1 season? :sarcasm:

Actually I think that's just his default face. He always has that same pissed off look on his face.

He's probably pissed he doesn't get to stand next to Sacco anymore...

Last edited by a moderator:

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
If y'all saw anyone wearing a Duchene blueberry in the offensive zone, that was me.

Team has no confidence in scoring right now. If they get down by one it even feels like a monumental hurdle. Some of it is bad luck, some getting too cute or passing too much, getting one PP a game and not scoring on it only adds to the problem. I'm curious what the team shooting % is right now.

The second was awful. Waste the PP then give one up and it feels like the game. Bordy's fake goal was a nice gift and then killer to give it right back. Roy needs to stop tinkering with the lines. Just set it for a while and see what happens. Was Duchene's line supposed to be the third line? and that big hit in the third, was that MacKinnon? I took my eyes off of him for a second and he delivers a big hit. At least I thought it was him. And why didn't Mike Smith play? I never want to face another back up again.

EJ was fantastic tonight. MacKinnon was decent too, though a little jittery at times but he can definitely turn it up. Thought O'Reilly was good too but he was right in front of me a lot so that may be why. Otherwise. I don't know. The first was good, the third was better and they just **** the bed in the second and that was enough.

He was out with the flu.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Against both Canucks and Coyotes, Avs dominated in the first periods and got nothing to show for it. Then in the second periods they get in trouble with the long change. Our lines get stuck out there against the cycle for too long and when they get a chance to clear the puck they fail and it ends up on the stick of the opponents just outside Avs blue line so we don't get a full line change. Defenders get stuck out there for ages. Forwards don't change when they can.

Every team has ups and downs. Blackhawks, Sharks, Blues have had three game losing streaks. Sooner rather than later the goals will go in and Avs top six forwards will look good again. Avs haven't allowed all that many scoring chances lately but they must do a better job with rebounds and boxing out. It's getting annoying to see opponents get easy goals after a rebound.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
I think our biggest issue right now is that Duchene and Stastny after their injuries are not the same players they were. We really lack their goals now. If they don't breakout soon we could be in trouble. It's a pity we missed so many opportunities in the first period and clear breakaway by Benoit in the second. We could easily be three, four goals ahead before Yotes scored they first goal. We really need to bounce back against Jets.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I love Roy, and his fire... However I don't know how he can mouth that bull **** about us playing well defensively. We haven't played well defensively since Hejda went down.

I hope hes putting on the positive face for the media alone, and really knows how bad the problem really is with our defense.

The forwards are not going to do **** by themselves in this league these days without a defense that can move the puck up the ice beyond one or two guys the entire night. It's killed the teams confidence, they are not getting the breakout passes they need or the basic defensive coverage they need to take risks either.

I just hope Roy has a better grasp on the real issues than hes letting on in front of the cameras, because right now it sounds like his lives in fantasy land.

Being harder in front of the opponents net is only a small part of the issue.

An entire core of bad defense can deflate your entire team just like a bad goalie. Our goalies can't bail us out of this ****, and neither can the forwards.

I feel like they diluted themselves into believing they could slap a band aid on our defense and make it hold out for an entire season, and management is seeing their mistake bite the team in the ass. Just about every one of us 'fans' on this board knew they hadn't done enough to add even passable depth to our defense in the off-season.

The band aid needed to be bigger than Holden and Guenin... We were lucky Benoit turned out to be even a consistent top 5 defender when we needed two top 4s AT LEAST. Even if it was another veteran for one or two seasons. Everyone knew it, we were scared after they didn't address it, and now we're seeing our lack of depth kill this team.

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Defense gave up 25 shots and had one terrible breakdown when Cliche and Barrie covered the same guy. Avs just can't score. The line mixing needs to stop, as Roy pointed out. The stars need to be stars. When they were, the mistakes made by the lesser players could be overcome, but when everyone of our "untouchable core" plays like 2nd/3rd liners, it will always be tough to win.

Not sure what everyone expects on here anymore, and probably why I avoid the GDTs during the game now, but Holden, Guenin, Cliche, Mitchell, etc are going to make mistakes. Expecting less, and pining for guys like Malone and Klesla as if they won't have their own flaws, is getting old. Not as old as the Landeskog doesn't care or try hard, he should be stripped of the captaincy is though.

Time for the star players to earn their money, because IMO, the "role player plugs" are giving much better effort and results right now, and that is not what happens on a playoff team when times get tough.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
And if this is truly a slump with no injury contribution, then Duchene is mentally fragile. Because this is awful.

So Duchene is mentally fragile after coming off an injury and unable to put up the points like he was before he went down?

He forced himself into the lineup for the STL game because Stastny was out and he had the flu the 2 games against Minny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad