Post-Game Talk: Coyotes at Avalanche 7PM MST | Please sir, may we have some goals?

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
This is so pathetic in my mind. It shows the team lacks some mental toughness. I dont care if you get down by one... PLAY THE REST OF THE GAME...and play it HARD.

Again, people may disagree, but this to me is on the Coaching staff as well as the players. They don't seem to have an answer to fix the problem. I can't think of a game we've overcome adversity outside of maybe the PHX game and the CGY game.

Ever since teams figured us out and started exposing us we have no answer or response to adjust properly. All we do is get a lead on a goal from a rush and sit on it as long as we can. The number of games we've gotten the lead and we've kept the pedal on the gas doesn't exist outside of 1 or two games.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
11318428816_63df0860c8_o.gif

I have a feeling this is gonna be used quite a bit around these parts.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
People keep saying this. Is it really showing up when he refuses to use his line mates, and doesn't bury his chances because he gets too fancy?

He wastes more scoring chances, and kills the play with turnovers way more than he actually gets himself, let alone actual goals.

He's on pace for 12 goals, and 33 assists. His Malkin act is a detriment not beneficial.

I'm on the other side of the fence. He creates more chances than the vast majority of 4th line players in the league. Sure he doesn't pass, but he's great at keeping possession of the puck, and that keeps the puck out of the defensive zone. He's pretty good at taking the puck away too. I'd gladly keep him on the bottom six for next year, of course it would have to be at a reasonable price.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
He's playing better than any two of our top six players combined. Duchene and O'Reilly are ****ing worthless right now.

Is this sarcasm?

O'Reilly was one of our better forwards tonight.

Just because he doesn't stay on the ice for 3 straight shifts doesn't mean he isn't showing up. It just means he isn't a ****ing idiot like Mitchell.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Again, people may disagree, but this to me is on the Coaching staff as well as the players. They don't seem to have an answer to fix the problem. I can't think of a game we've overcome adversity outside of maybe the PHX game and the CGY game.

WPG too, but there's never really any adversity facing the Jets.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO

Ever since teams figured us out and started exposing us we have no answer or response to adjust properly. All we do is get a lead on a goal from a rush and sit on it as long as we can. The number of games we've gotten the lead and we've kept the pedal on the gas doesn't exist outside of 1 or two games.

Cant disagree with anything you said. We lack an ability to adapt and counter how another team plays us. Coaching is part of that.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
It's not Mitchells fault the entirety of the top 6 is slumping so bad Roy is forced to mix in third liners with them. He could happily be playing his 14 minutes, forecheck, get the odd scoring chance on the third line if the top liners weren't slumping.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Need to convert those chances. Mackinnon had a really good one, Landy had a real nice one, Benoit had a breakaway. Colorado had primo scoring chances, enough to win this game. Just couldn't bury anything.

I'm still not that worried. Avs were never going to be great this year. We will be a team that fights for a playoff spot and we've looked the part. Defense will be shaky all year long and our goaltending has came back down to earth after the hot start.

They'll snap outta the funk soon enough and bury some chances, everybody will be ok again until they next bump in the road. Were a 1 point behind Minny and they have 3 games in hand. Were tied for 1st in the league in ROW's ... :laugh:

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
WPG too, but there's never really any adversity facing the Jets.

Forgot about that one.. Thanks but we won those games. The ones we've lost is scary and a very good reason this team won't make the PO's if they can't fix the leak right now.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

You may be right. Maybe it is the coaching staff but it also doesn't help when your team captain seems like he couldn't care less about what happens or where he is when his team is down.
Landy looks like he has no motivation or energy when we're losing. Seems like he would rather be somewhere else. This is the exact opposite of how our captain should be. I know a lot of other guys should step up too, but our captain should especially.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Well that was full of suck.

This team is so pathetic, they come out hard don't bury some good chances early and then fold like a house of cards the second the other team scores.

When are any of our players going to grow a pair?

This team needs some on ice leaders. Back in the day every time the team started to struggle Sakic would put the team on his back and will them out of it. Obviously I don't expect any of our players to be the next Sakic, as that just isn't fair, but it's time that one or a few of our players start growing up and carrying our team out of slumps.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Need to convert those chances. Mackinnon had a really good one, Landy had a real nice one, Benoit had a breakaway. Colorado had primo scoring chances, enough to win this game. Just couldn't bury anything.

I'm still not that worried. Avs were never going to be great this year. We will be a team that fights for a playoff spot and we've looked the part. Defense will be shaky all year long and our goaltending has came back down to earth after the hot start.

They'll snap outta the funk soon enough and bury some chances, everybody will be ok again until they next bump in the road. Were a 1 point behind Minny and they have 3 games in hand. Were tied for 1st in the league in ROW's ... :laugh:

Odd all of those are on the rush or just after getting in the zone... The inability to score once we get in the zone and forecheck, including on the PP is frightening.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs need to get more garbage goals. They try to hard to make the pretty play that frequently doesn't work instead of shooting the puck and crashing the net. Because they haven't scored much recently they are holding their stick tight which it's helping those plays.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
The Avs need to get more garbage goals. They try to hard to make the pretty play that frequently doesn't work instead of shooting the puck and crashing the net. Because they haven't scored much recently they are holding their stick tight which it's helping those plays.

They need to learn how to cycle. They also need to learn how to defend against the cycle. They can run and gun, but can't sustain pressure and can't defend against sustained pressure.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
You may be right. Maybe it is the coaching staff but it also doesn't help when your team captain seems like he couldn't care less about what happens or where he is when his team is down.
Landy looks like he has no motivation or energy when we're losing. Seems like he would rather be somewhere else. This is the exact opposite of how our captain should be. I know a lot of other guys should step up too, but our captain should especially.

He was skating pretty hard tonight. Partially the reason I think a lot of this is on our coaching staff. When Phx changed their game plan for the 2nd after our play in the 1st we had no answer. In the third our players looked even more lost and inept. Part of that is having a plan! Coaches build out a game plan and get the players ready.

Looked ready in the 1st. Had no clue what to do in the 2nd and 3rd.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
Wilson taking Holden's spot will be nice...until Wilson get's hurt again. We desperately need Hejda back and hopefully he's not gimpy in his return.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Odd all of those are on the rush or just after getting in the zone... The inability to score once we get in the zone and forecheck, including on the PP is frightening.

Yeah the PP is garbage and has been all year. Didn't really matter what the Avs did tonight, they weren't scoring. Offense is in a slump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad