Coyotes and Head Coach/VP Dave Tippett Part Ways

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Congrats, this was long overdue.
To know how correct you were, listen to TSN1200 tomorrow around 8 a.m. Eastern. Pierre McGuire will be lambasting this and analytics, and you'll then know you are right.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Andy Barroway bought the team 10 days ago. And has managed to move out Mike Smith, Shane Doan, and Dave Tippett. House is FINALLY cleaned. This is such a good night to be a Coyotes fan. We don't get many good days but this is one of them.

I wish you luck. I've always got along very well with Coyotes fans that I've interacted with, probably better than any other fanbase, even though they're the Sharks rival. Any time I've made fun of them, it was mostly at Tippett's expense and the fact that they've been run so poorly that they've kept him around all these years. And because I really don't like Mike Smith at all as a player.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
To know how correct you were, listen to TSN1200 tomorrow around 8 a.m. Eastern. Pierre McGuire will be lambasting this and analytics, and you'll then know you are right.

Dreger is already saying the 'coaching fraternity' isn't taking it well and the job is now viewed as toxic.

Good.

That means you're on the right path.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Pierre is such a kiss-ass to every head coach in this league. Probably because Pierre is literally one of the worst head coaches in the history of hockey, it's fitting that he loves other BAD head coaches. That or the fact that he just really has no leg to stand on when critiquing coaches. It's like how Mike Milbury very rarely gets on TV and blasts GM's around the league, even though he doesn't come off as blindly pro-GM as Pierre comes off as pro-coach.

Just watch that jackass Pierre on the next nationally televised game. Whenever the smallest thing happens, he will chalk this up to ''Brilliant coaching by (insert head coaches name or even an assistant)'' even when the play was a total fluke or had very little to do with the coach. ''That's coaching, Eddie and Doc!'' is another Pierre-ism that is just brutal to hear.
Dreger is already saying the 'coaching fraternity' isn't taking it well and the job is now viewed as toxic.

Good.

That means you're on the right path.
Tippett was the second longest tenured coach in the NHL, up until a few hours ago. Tippett was one of only two remaining head coaches to hold their post from the 00's and before the 2012 lockout. That means there's been 28 other teams that have made coaching changes at least once since he's been their head coach. (not counting Vegas, as they made a coaching hire and not a coaching change yet).

Other coaches who were much less tenured and had MUCH shorter rope before they were cut from the elevator shaft. The other coaches should be envious that they weren't able to keep their job for 8 years and 5 straight playoff-less appearances. Barely any head coach survives two straight playoff misses these days. Jon Cooper is now the second longest head coach in the league for christ sake and has only been on the job for FOUR years! And the only other longer tenured head coach than Tippett has won the most Stanley Cups in the time he's been employed as that team's head coach. The coaching fraternity should be grateful that Tippett was kept on as long as he was.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
One other thing the ''coaching fraternity'' should be happy about is the fact that Tippett was the second or third highest paid head coach in the league. I think only Quenneville (whose extension kicks in this upcoming year, I believe) and Babcock were getting paid more than Tippett's $4 million per. I believe Julien is set to make more starting this upcoming year too. If I'm correct, only Babcock made more than Tippett last year.

When coaches saw Tippett was making $4 million per year for 5 straight playoff-less seasons, they could negotiate higher salaries for themselves. Seeing as no other currently employed head coach has missed the playoffs 5 straight years.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Pierre is such a kiss-ass to every head coach in this league. Probably because Pierre is literally one of the worst head coaches in the history of hockey, it's fitting that he loves other BAD head coaches. That or the fact that he just really has no leg to stand on when critiquing coaches. It's like how Mike Milbury very rarely gets on TV and blasts GM's around the league, even though he doesn't come off as blindly pro-GM as Pierre comes off as pro-coach.

Just watch that jackass Pierre on the next nationally televised game. Whenever the smallest thing happens, he will chalk this up to ''Brilliant coaching by (insert head coaches name or even an assistant)'' even when the play was a total fluke or had very little to do with the coach. ''That's coaching, Eddie and Doc!'' is another Pierre-ism that is just brutal to hear.

Tippett was the second longest tenured coach in the NHL, up until a few hours ago. Tippett was one of only two remaining head coaches to hold their post from the 00's and before the 2012 lockout. That means there's been 28 other teams that have made coaching changes at least once since he's been their head coach. (not counting Vegas, as they made a coaching hire and not a coaching change yet).

Other coaches who were much less tenured and had MUCH shorter rope before they were cut from the elevator shaft. The other coaches should be envious that they weren't able to keep their job for 8 years and 5 straight playoff-less appearances. Barely any head coach survives two straight playoff misses these days. Jon Cooper is now the second longest head coach in the league for christ sake and has only been on the job for FOUR years! And the only other longer tenured head coach than Tippett has won the most Stanley Cups in the time he's been employed as that team's head coach. The coaching fraternity should be grateful that Tippett was kept on as long as he was.
They don't care that he was fired, they care that Arizona tried to fire him with cause to avoid paying him the money he was owed. If they just wanted to fire him and eat the salary he would have been fired 2 months ago.

If Tippett was forced out and settled for an amount less than his buy-out in his contract rather than getting into long-term litigation, then it may rub some coaches (and their respective agents) the wrong way.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Wow. House cleaning almost complete.

Have to think they go with a whole new coaching staff. Find a up and coming younger coach and surround him with some experienced guys....

Sheldon Keefe has been mentioned. Any other names out there?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They don't care that he was fired, they care that Arizona tried to fire him with cause to avoid paying him the money he was owed. If they just wanted to fire him and eat the salary he would have been fired 2 months ago.

If Tippett was forced out and settled for an amount less than his buy-out in his contract rather than getting into long-term litigation, then it may rub some coaches (and their respective agents) the wrong way.
That makes sense then. I was gonna say, if they're mad that the second longest tenured head coach in the league was fired after 5 straight playoff-less seasons....:laugh:

I'm sure teams are lining up for him. Haha.

He MIGHT work somewhere else, but his expiration date was long since due in Arizona.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Andy Barroway bought the team 10 days ago. And has managed to move out Mike Smith, Shane Doan, and Dave Tippett. House is FINALLY cleaned. This is such a good night to be a Coyotes fan. We don't get many good days but this is one of them.
no wait. Playfair?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
DC-oDI-WsAQ5Nk3.jpg

If not him, there's Ted Nolan. Nolan would actually be good, of course he has no system but for teams with good skill who've been in bondage under coaches like Tippett and Byslma he'd be a breath of fresh air for a couple of years. Not a chance a progressive like Chayka would hire a throwback like Teddy. I'd definitely look at Sheldon Keefe.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I'm sure teams are lining up for him. Haha.

The old regime didn't care about success... they were in it for the job security. There were zero expectations there and zero pressure, so they could just show up... do whatever and go home and they knew they didn't have to worry about being fired.

FINALLY that culture of comfortable mediocrity is gone!

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Thinking Tochett becomes Arizona's head coach. Has history there and has two Cups as an assistant coach as well as experience as a head coach with Tampa Bay.

Tippett for that matter, I say he goes to the next available team. Probably the Flyers or Devils.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Thinking Tochett becomes Arizona's head coach. Has history there and has two Cups as an assistant coach as well as experience as a head coach with Tampa Bay.

Tippett for that matter, I say he goes to the next available team. Probably the Flyers or Devils.

If Tochett is a betting man no way he goes to Arizona.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I agree, and think they'll have some difficulties finding a coach. They'll find someone decent or promising I'm sure, but their first, second or third choice may not be interested. Not hard to imagine a top AHL coach or former NHL coach thinking they'd rather wait for another opportunity, with all the off-ice craziness. Not ideal to coach a very young team that'll be well under the cap floor after the LTIR stuff either. I don't dislike the Yotes and mean no offense to their fans, its just not a great situation unfortunately.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Would really like to keep him, but it seems like a good fit for yall.

Nelson deserves a shot at the NHL, so hopefully he gets it. I am just hoping if he does get the Yotes that they get enough results so he get another crack at another team later on.

Or maybe he is a great fit and gets solid results.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad