Coyotes and Head Coach/VP Dave Tippett Part Ways

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Thankful he came around and helped us out, but we need a coach that will utilize our youth and speed. This is exciting. What an off season.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Congrats Yotes fans. Hope they hire Ruff or someone, not the ideal coach but pretty solid with developing young forwards which Tippet certainly was not.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Congrats Yotes fans. Hope they hire Ruff or someone, not the ideal coach but pretty solid with developing young forwards which Tippet certainly was not.

Hoping for some fresh blood from the college or junior ranks, personally.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tippett has been a piece of **** and worthless head coach for years now. His ''Defensive maestro and stifling system'' reputation should have died with last decade, that's the last time it/he's been effective.

They've been asleep at the wheel there, keeping him head coach this many years. Even the awful teams and the most cheapest budget teams remove failure head coaches way sooner than this. I wonder if Chevy brings him to Winnipeg? Unless they agreed to a new deal with Maurice. Seems like Chevy is ****ed enough in the head to bring Tippett aboard.

Tippett is currently the second longest tenured head coach in the league. If he goes, Jon Cooper will be the second longest tenured coach, from March of 2013. That means that Quenneville will be the only head coach in the NHL that predated the 2012 lockout with the same team he's with now.:laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Maybe they'll have some semblance of a system now, there was no system with Tippett.

Team looked like he was giving orders on not to pass up any opportunity at playing in the defensive zone. The only trap it looked like that was being played in Coyotes games was the trap where the opponent traps the Coyotes in their defensive zone.

I keep picturing Tippett in practice, telling the players that if they touch the puck, they're gonna receive a shock. And using a puck in practice that zaps the players when they make contact with it.:laugh:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Def reached an agreement on some sort of buyout. I doubt they got out of it without paying him. Either way, good for the organization to move on. I'm sure someone will hire Tippett soon.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I keep picturing Tippett in practice, telling the players that if they touch the puck, they're gonna receive a shock. And using a puck in practice that zaps the players when they make contact with it.:laugh:

Where do you think Boedker gets his shyness from?

He also treated Scott like garbage.

Good ****ing riddance.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I thank Tippett for managing to squeeze blood from a stone during the NHL-ownership years and helping get a patchwork group of veteran misfits into the playoffs and a WCF appearance in his first three years. But it was clear that his outlived his usefulness once the kids started coming through.

This was an overdue move.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
ba-awesome-colorful-fireworks-animated-gif-image-s.gif
Woooooooooo!!!!!

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Happiest guys besides the fans: all the young players on the team.
Truth. No more forced dump & chase trap **** meant for fourth line grinders. Time to set the kids free and use their speed and skill.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I wasn't a fan of how the Doan situation played out, but this is the correct move.

To be fair, he was awful last season and is old and im a huge Doan fan. Could probably been handled better but i understand why they didnt wanna give him a new contract. I also understand why they get rid of Tippett. Time to make some changes and start building a team that can compete again.

They have tons of prospects, OEL in his prime etc. Cant start the season with Keller-Dvorak-Strome down the middle for example, would be awful for their development to not have a little help from good older players. Look at how Leafs brought their 3 young stars into the NHL. Kadri, Bozak, JVR, Komarov etc help them out and can shelter them if needed. I hate coaches that play veterans just because they are veterans, but a young team need some older players with experience but they have to be good aswell. Doesnt help if the veteran is Girardi for example... Young players need support and need to come into a culture that is positive and moving in the right direction. Hard to do that if they dont have any support and help from veterans that can play and help them be more competetive. Very underrated thing when it comes to actually taking the next step and be good NHL players is to come into a team that can compete atleast to a certain extent. Doan said it himself in an interview the other day, when we know we arent going to be a playoff team, your motivation drops a little etc.
Also probably nice to change things around in that locker room aswell. Two old guys declining in Smith and Doan who probably are vocal and big leaders in the room but would never be a part of the team going forward anyway. They are both extremely average at this time aswell. Find some new vets who are better players and can help them compete along with all the good young players they have!

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Truth. No more forced dump & chase trap **** meant for fourth line grinders. Time to set the kids free and use their speed and skill.

I don't know how anyone can call it a trapping system.

What trapping team routinely allows 35 shots per game and gets outshot by quite a few nightly?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad