Coyotes and Head Coach/VP Dave Tippett Part Ways

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I agree, and think they'll have some difficulties finding a coach. They'll find someone decent or promising I'm sure, but their first, second or third choice may not be interested. Not hard to imagine a top AHL coach or former NHL coach thinking they'd rather wait for another opportunity, with all the off-ice craziness. Not ideal to coach a very young team that'll be well under the cap floor after the LTIR stuff either. I don't dislike the Yotes and mean no offense to their fans, its just not a great situation unfortunately.

totally agree, if you've ever followed the Coyotes saga, this is spot on, afaik, there is also no coach in their system even to coach prospects at this time.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Great move by the Coyotes. Tippett is not the right guy for a young team like the Coyotes are.

Hopefully there's now brighter days ahead for the Coyotes.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Great day for the NHL particularly fans of teams in the pacific division. Coyotes games will actually be exciting now and not an absolute snooze fest that Tippett made them to be

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Wasn't he considered to be a great coach?

If you need blood squeezed from a stone and have a ton of veterans looking to get over the hump, he is your man for a couple years. Beyond that, he'll suffocate your entire organization with the credibility built in those first few years. He is absolutely awful with young players, so he eventually starves himself of talent.

Maybe he'll eat a lot of humble pie and come back strong like Torts but I really doubt it.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Must be a pretty liberating feeling for Arizona fans. Hopefully they go new school for the replacement. Start purging these dinosaurs from the league that the game has passed by.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
This guy had a worse record than Gretzky yet somehow one was fired and never trusted to be a coach again and the other got promoted...?

Glad for Coyotes fans and Coyotes prospects.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
It's about time the Coyotes finally moved out of the Wild West and NHL ownership era and want to start fresh. If they're going to do it they need to do it all the way with the front office, TV media and so on. Show the fans that the Coyotes truly are entering a new era with a new identity.

This guy had a worse record than Gretzky yet somehow one was fired and never trusted to be a coach again and the other got promoted...?

Glad for Coyotes fans and Coyotes prospects.

You're kidding, right? He had zero to work with. Free agents would avoid the team because of the ownership circus coupled with the **** pot stirring articles from the Canadian media painting the team with articles that were not true (Shoalts, Damien Cox, TSN). It always happened before the trade deadline or the first day of free agency every year. Tippett deserves a medal.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Coyotes I BEG OF YOU...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do NOT hire Dan Bylsma.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The game between the Coyotes and the Avalanche in March this year was one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. It was like watching two groups of children playing, one who couldn't play and one who didn't know how to play against a team that couldn't play. I think they won 1-0. Good luck to all the Coyotes fans who feel vindicated for this.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
Does this show that there is dysfunction in Arizona or that they are finally getting rid of the dysfunction?

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Does this show that there is dysfunction in Arizona or that they are finally getting rid of the dysfunction?

Neither. The team is starting fresh across the board. It sucks for fans but it's the right thing to do in the long term.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
this was like 4 years overdue

yotes fans can rejoice. any idea who they target? i mean, who's even available?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Thought Tippett was well revered around here. Either way it's a ? move IMO for the Coyotes.

He was revered for a while, and deservedly so. As the years went on he showed himself to be inflexible in his coaching. Always prioritizing the short term goals over the longer term goals in his player utilization and roster construction. Not the best approach for a rebuilding team.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
No Ralph Krueger?

No. I want him for SJ. Please.

Congratulations, Coyotes' fans. This was long overdue. I don't want you to be good bc you're rivals but I've always hoped that the Coyotes would succeed in the Phoenix area, partly bc I want hockey in the southwest and Pacific coast, partly to shut up ppl who disparage hockey in non-traditional markets, and partly bc one of my childhood friends lived in Phoenix and is a Yotes fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad