Coyotes and Head Coach/VP Dave Tippett Part Ways

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Arizona will continue to be a basement dweller if that's how the new owner operates. Who would actually want to join that circus? Meanwhile, I've been liking their young talent and prospect pool. I feel bad for the players.

Huh? This is exactly what the Coyotes need to actually rebuild. Up until now everyone wanted different things and DT was the absolute worst person to have coaching all these young players coming in, especially as they are all offensive players being told to play like grinders.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Huh? This is exactly what the Coyotes need to actually rebuild. Up until now everyone wanted different things and DT was the absolute worst person to have coaching all these young players coming in, especially as they are all offensive players being told to play like grinders.

AKA The Dan Bylsma Special.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Thank you Tippett for the run in 2012 to the WCF and getting the Coyotes its 1st ever division title, but it's time move on.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
I would like to congratulate the Coyotes fans that saw this through the whole way, and hope that all the fans that lost the ability to truly enjoy hockey during his tenure find their way back

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Seems like an odd time to make a coaching change. Theyve been done for a long time.

You contradict yourself so quickly. Impressive.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you and you mean the season has been done for a long time. In that case, you're right, but the prior owners were in love with him. Barroway just recent became the only owner and has subsequently fired everyone.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Seems like an odd time to make a coaching change. Theyve been done for a long time.

Barroway nuked the country club from orbit by getting rid of Doan, Smith, and Tippett. Now is a GREAT time to make a coaching change.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Maybe they'll have some semblance of a system now, there was no system with Tippett.

Team looked like he was giving orders on not to pass up any opportunity at playing in the defensive zone. The only trap it looked like that was being played in Coyotes games was the trap where the opponent traps the Coyotes in their defensive zone.

I keep picturing Tippett in practice, telling the players that if they touch the puck, they're gonna receive a shock. And using a puck in practice that zaps the players when they make contact with it.:laugh:

Cheers man. We're elated. You're a great hockey fan; you know what's going here unlike those east-coast hack reporters.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Long overdue. Arizona has been too much a bastion of mediocrity, yet had far too much job security in it's leadership.

Doan forced out last week... now Tippet.

New philosophy coming to town in Arizona! Something that should've happened MUCH sooner!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
When you are trying to fire someone with cause who has a guaranteed contract. As I said earlier in the thread, this rumor has been floating around since at least the Memorial Cup (which is how I first heard it).

Bob's been mentioning on Twitter how that there have been complex negotiations. This is all my speculation, but my guess is Tippett either has another job that will compensate him well lined up, or that Arizona just gave him a flat amount (less than his contract amount) but contains no off-setting language for when he gets hired by another team.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Super have for Yotes fan. Other than Doan I have always really liked the team. Hopefully they can finally get back to rebuilding properly.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Andy Barroway bought the team 10 days ago. And has managed to move out Mike Smith, Shane Doan, and Dave Tippett. House is FINALLY cleaned. This is such a good night to be a Coyotes fan. We don't get many good days but this is one of them.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cheers man. We're elated. You're a great hockey fan; you know what's going here unlike those east-coast hack reporters.
His defense first reputation is old and dated. It's very lazy for reporters and hockey people to still push this label on Tippett. The fact of the matter is that the Coyotes have been one of the worst defensive teams in the league since his second year as head coach there. I remember them being outshot by a ton sometimes, even in 11-12 and in the 2012 playoffs.

As much as I don't think Mike Smith is very good, that entire season and playoffs he had was insane and that playoff run he had was MILES better than the stupid Halak conference finals run from 2010, which happened 2 years earlier and still gets talked about much more than Smith's 2012 conference finals run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad