Speculation: Coyotes 2021 Offseason Roster Discussion Thread #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Uhh, what? His favorite move is to take the puck deep and shield it from the defender with his body, looking for a pass to a dangerous area. He is big into the physical side of things, much more than Dvorak and wallflower Schmaltz. His only personal problem (that did not involve linemates or coaching) is that his first few steps and ability to change direction are not NHL level. That's a problem for a center. It can be fixed.

I'm not worried about him. He has a proper coach now.
None of us know what kind of coach we have, so don't give praise when it has not been earned. I think Hayton's main problem is he has not processed the game at the NHL level. He has to get better in other areas also so but so do most kids trying to make the jump to the NHL. Confidence is also a big factor, not just for players trying to make the NHL but for all players. Can Hayton process the game at the NHL level, can he get his confidence back? Stay tuned.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My eyeballs tell me he needs more time, not that he is a bust. He needs confidence and success. Bring him up after 40 games but work on quickening the pass/shoot/ hold decision making process. Lots of video work and lots of shifts.
Confidence? I agree. Quickening the process? Yes, again I agree.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
What Hayton did in junior means squat. Most players that make it to junior know all about fitness, nutrition, being competitive etc. I have seen star players in junior that never make it to the NHL, or if they do, their impact was not was expected. That's just the way it is. Hayton has that 5OA hanging over his head, so we expect big things, and we have not and probably never will see. The Coyotes and RT have to take some blame, but so does the player. I would love for Hayton to come to camp and show why he was selected 5OA.
Who's this "we" you speak of? You got a mouse in your pocket?
Speak for yourself Jakey!

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
It’s being confirmed that Montreal is shopping the picks they’d receive from Carolina to us for Dvorak. Personally I don’t think a 1st and 3rd should be enough considering how low the first will likely be. Looking at the habs they don’t really have any prospects that stand out as overly appealing. I’m sure we would get poehling though. Someone will have to play center for us

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
Clayton Keller was on the Cam and Strick podcast (Cam Janssen and Andy Strickland) and they kept commenting on how much bigger he looked. Keller thinks he’s put on around 7lbs of muscle.
I noticed he also mentioned that Hayton was living with him at the start of last season until he was sent down to Tucson.... He also mentioned that Hayton is going to be living with him again to start the season. I am probably reading too much into that but seems like Hayton might get every opportunity to start with the Yotes.

For the record... I want him to start down in Tucson, but if Dvorak is indeed traded idk...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It’s being confirmed that Montreal is shopping the picks they’d receive from Carolina to us for Dvorak. Personally I don’t think a 1st and 3rd should be enough considering how low the first will likely be. Looking at the habs they don’t really have any prospects that stand out as overly appealing. I’m sure we would get poehling though. Someone will have to play center for us
They’d have to add Poehling to that.

Reactions: Heldig

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Who's this "we" you speak of? You got a mouse in your pocket?
Speak for yourself Jakey!
I've got something much bigger than a mouse in my pocket.;) Don't know what to tell ya, but with any 5OA pick comes high "expectations" and I think most would agree. If you don't agree with that statement all I can say is that you have eaten too many prairie oysters.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I've got something much bigger than a mouse in my pocket.;) Don't know what to tell ya, but with any 5OA pick comes high "expectations" and I think most would agree. If you don't agree with that statement all I can say is that you have eaten too many prairie oysters.
You're throwing "we" around like ball sacks at spring branding!

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Went through Montreal's entire system and came to the conclusion that they don't have anything outside of Romanov, Suzuki, Caufield and their 1st this year that I would even consider moving Dvorak for. I also don't believe Montreal would consider moving any of those pieces other than maybe their first.

Ryan Poehling I think will top out as a 3rd line center.
Kaiden Guhle is an interesting one because I actually talked to a friend who's opinion I value more than my own and I was actually higher on him thinking he might have Radko Gudas potential. Hate the idea of getting him in a trade at this point because I believe his trade value is much higher than his actual value to the roster would be down the road.

Luke Tuch and Sean Farrell (maybe Joshua Roy if I want a late round value sweetener) all interest me to a certain degree.. but only if we are looking at Romanov coming with one of them.. which is almost certainly not happening with how Shea Weber is on his way out.

Best offer I can think of without having one of Montreals young roster players is

Montreals 1st, Luke Tuch and Ryan Poehling... In my mind that works out as a mid-late 1st likely, a second and a young roster player
If they are planning on building through the draft I'd still rather aim for a better roster ready prospect like Jack Drury as a main piece coming back though or else there will be too many rookies trying to make the team at once in a few years.
But if they want to play it like Vegas did and use the prospects as main pieces in trades for star players when they become available. That can be a good strategy too if the right players are being acquired.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Honestly these deals all suck. It's not the Coyotes job to solve Montreal's problem, if they want Dvorak I want way more than he's actually worth. Barring injury, Dvo will still be a serviceable player in 4+ years when the team (hopefully) emerges from a rebuild so I don't see any reason to actually move him unless Meruelo absolutely can't afford to spend another $4.45 million this year.

rt

May 13, 2004
Honestly these deals all suck. It's not the Coyotes job to solve Montreal's problem, if they want Dvorak I want way more than he's actually worth. Barring injury, Dvo will still be a serviceable player in 4+ years when the team (hopefully) emerges from a rebuild so I don't see any reason to actually move him unless Meruelo absolutely can't afford to spend another $4.45 million this year.
I hear ya. The one guy they’ve got that really makes me pause is Alexander Romanov. That one interests me. Of course it leaves us just absolutely decimated at center for next season, without a lot of options to fix that problem.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I hear ya. The one guy they’ve got that really makes me pause is Alexander Romanov. That one interests me. Of course it leaves us just absolutely decimated at center for next season, without a lot of options to fix that problem.
Hayton?:)

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Of course it leaves us just absolutely decimated at center for next season, without a lot of options to fix that problem.
Decimated? We had centers' last season?? We had a defenseman that put up almost 10 more points than the closest center in points...

rt

May 13, 2004
Clayton Keller was on the Cam and Strick podcast (Cam Janssen and Andy Strickland) and they kept commenting on how much bigger he looked. Keller thinks he’s put on around 7lbs of muscle.
I listened to that. It was very encouraging. His mustache looks MUCH better this year too:

Reactions: RABBIT

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Depending on Armstrong's opinion of Kotkaniemi's remaining potential, would a match and trade around him & Dvorak make sense? MB wouldn't have to deal with the optics of "giving into" DW and could avoid KK's awkward return to MTL and salary cap issues. Not to mention, his age and being NHL ready is better suited to our timeline than yet another pick in the 2022 draft or Dvorak. Also keeps our Center depth respectable next season.

Last edited:

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I’m all for a redemption story. Hopefully Eriksson comes in motivated with a chip on his shoulder. He likely still won’t produce much offense with the cast around him but hopefully he can rejuvenate his career a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad