COVID-19: The final countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Don't put words in my f***ing mouth. I specifically said "Fauci, and others with similar expertise,". If you morph that into "everyone", that's your f***ing issue, not mine.

Please check #5.... Your anger and ignorance of what people were saying is quite weird to me. Don't get mad at me. Get mad at them. They were the ones telling people. It's okay to admit that most mainstream media, where people get their news from, specifically said it was impossible.

1) NBC News - Fact check: Trump needs 'miracle' to be right about rosy vaccine timeline, experts say

Fact check: Coronavirus vaccine could come this year, Trump says. Experts say he needs a 'miracle' to be right

2) Healthline - Why It’ll Still Take More Than a Year to Develop a COVID-19 Vaccine
(note this is in bold and big right at the top)

• [*]Past research is helping speed up the search for a COVID-19 vaccine, but the approval process will probably still take 18 months to 2 years.
    [*]Experts note that potential vaccines still need to go through a rigorous three-phase clinical trial process.
    [*]Experts add that it’s important for the scientific community to “underpromise and overdeliver” on COVID-19 vaccines so they don’t raise the public’s hopes prematurely.
3) USA Today - Why a coronavirus vaccine is more than a year away, despite medical researchers' progress

4) National Geographic - Why a coronavirus vaccine could take way longer than a year

5) Fauci.... Fauci: Vaccine at least year away, as COVID-19 death toll rises to 9 in Seattle

It will take at least a year to a year in a half to have a vaccine we can use," said National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) director Anthony Fauci, MD. Though work on a novel coronavirus vaccine has been some of the fastest on record, Fauci said, he explained to senators that a vaccine candidate must be proven safe and efficacious in a multi-step trial process.

I mean look... the reality is we have a ton of very intelligent posters here. This is why HFP is the best site on HF. But when people get their news from headlines and these are the headlines.... what do you think the people will expect? I mean if you look for 3 seconds in google, you see a consistency in what the expectation was going to be.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Please check #5.... Your anger and ignorance of what people were saying is quite weird to me. Don't get mad at me. Get mad at them. They were the ones telling people. It's okay to admit that most mainstream media, where people get their news from, specifically said it was impossible.

1) NBC News - Fact check: Trump needs 'miracle' to be right about rosy vaccine timeline, experts say

2) Healthline - Why It’ll Still Take More Than a Year to Develop a COVID-19 Vaccine
3) USA Today - Why a coronavirus vaccine is more than a year away, despite medical researchers' progress

4) National Geographic - Why a coronavirus vaccine could take way longer than a year

5) Fauci.... Fauci: Vaccine at least year away, as COVID-19 death toll rises to 9 in Seattle

I mean look... the reality is we have a ton of very intelligent posters here. This is why HFP is the best site on HF. But when people get their news from headlines and these are the headlines.... what do you think the people will expect? I mean if you look for 3 seconds in google, you see a consistency in what the expectation was going to be.

See my comments about the WHO and UN above.

Anyone who takes any of the media without a massive grain of salt and a large degree of healthy skepticism should reassess.

They are all biased, but by money. Playing it up for whatever bubble that they cater to is sadly the norm. But like the UN they are needed. You should be knowledgeable about the World. Just be a smart consumer.

Reactions: Shady Machine

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
See my comments about the WHO and UN above.

Anyone who takes any of the media without a massive grain of salt and a large degree of healthy skepticism should reassess.

They are all biased, but by money. Playing it up for whatever bubble that they cater to is sadly the norm. But like the UN they are needed. You should be knowledgeable about the World. Just be a smart consumer.
You know that's not how the world works. You think millions tune into this stuff because they trust normal sources?

The user also said fauci.... Which also said similar. And when that dude says something, people follow.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
You know that's not how the world works. You think millions tune into this stuff because they trust normal sources?

The user also said fauci.... Which also said similar. And when that dude says something, people follow.

I can only speak for myself. If I worried about people doing things that I disagree with I would have been dead of a coronary years ago.

Reactions: ColePens

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I care about the people man. I also realized I haven't left allegheny county in 9 months so maybe I'm going crazy.

Neither have I. But better frustrated than dead.

Trying to get my father to not take needless chances is a constant job. He already is in a high risk job. Thankfully he will get the vaccine soon.

But he still goes to religious services. And until recently still went to family gatherings and out to dinners with his two friends. Both of which are even older than him.

One of them got Covid-19, was diagnosed five days ago when he travelled to visit his daughter in another state, and was buried yesterday.

Hopefully my father got the message. Though it doesn't seem so. I said that to him, and my father's response was that he must have gotten it when he visited his daughter.

Reactions: Andy99

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
1,200 Pa. health care workers vaccinated so far for covid-19 | TribLIVE.com

1200? in three days?

My old company ran a flu shot clinic every fall and you’d sign up for one 5 minute slot across a few days. There would be a dozen people there any time I went in there. I’d bet they vaccinated hundreds of people every day. One company. Why is this state vaccinating at such a leisurely pace?
In Allegheny County, UPMC received the area’s first shipment on Monday, and five employees from a number of UPMC facilities were vaccinated in a live-streamed event. That first shipment included one tray of 975 doses.
Since Monday, UPMC Presbyterian has received two trays for a total of 1,950 doses, and UPMC Mercy received one tray on Wednesday. Mon Valley Hospital in Monongahela has also received one tray of 975 doses
I count almost 4000 doses in that quote across three hospitals just in this region. I’m sure there are tens of thousands delivered since Monday across other areas of the state. Are you telling me you’re not working 18 hours a day to exhaust these deliveries ASAP? At this rate the deliveries will exceed administrations. The pace needs to pick up. Change my view.

Last edited:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
1,200 Pa. health care workers vaccinated so far for covid-19 | TribLIVE.com

1200? in three days?

My old company ran a flu shot clinic every fall and you’d sign up for one 5 minute slot across a few days. There would be a dozen people there any time I went in there. I’d bet they vaccinated hundreds of people every day. One company. Why is this state vaccinating at such a leisurely pace?

I count almost 4000 doses in that quote across three hospitals just in this region. I’m sure there are tens of thousands delivered since Monday across other areas of the state. Are you telling me you’re not working 18 hours a day to exhaust these deliveries ASAP? At this rate the deliveries will exceed administrations. The pace needs to pick up. Change my view.

Hmmm so when a company, who specifically goes to companies for flu shots, comes to my place of work - this is how it goes.
- 15 minute time slots / 5 minutes clean in between.
- 20 mins for start to finish paper work to flu shot.
- 3/hr
- 3*8 = 24 / person administering per day.

Knowing how serious this is for front line workers, I think a 20 minute period w/ full cleans in between. 10 people? 240/day would be standard. So doubled that? That's my assumption. I think the first batch of these is like handling the holy grail. It's gotta be f***ing massively stressful.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD

Count me among those. I'm 25 and was going to lose my parents coverage anyway but, I was covered under my mother's marriot family plan. She has been furloughed by Marriot since April or so, and her benefits were lost about 2 or 3 months ago. Luckily my folks and I qualified for Medicaid. Still though, it was extremely stressful on my mom and it sucked seeing her so distraught.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Exactly what you just did really hits to how disappointed I am in how people talk about this pandemic. It goes perfectly to my initial point. So if you hate or disagree with Person A - you will just automatically turn off anything. So when dates and quotes from multiple outlets laughing and fact checking against a vaccine being available by EOY - we just blatantly ignore it because we chose to dislike that person? That's exactly what I do not understand, but I see that's exactly how the media wants it to gain interest and money to get you to tune in. When in reality - America will now be able to save millions across the globe from this horrifying pandemic. What a damn great thing to be proud of.

Even if i disagree with someone completely on lockdown, if they said "Hey.. i think X should happen." My mind does not go straight to "I MUST DISAGREE!" That's just not how i'm built. I take that explanation or comment and i digest no differently than to someone I like. And what you just showed me is because you read a name, you immediately shut it down. That's very disappointing.

I really think we should look at Florida and see what is working and what isn't. We should look to California and see what is working and what isn't. We should look to all sources equally and look for the pros/cons and apply it in a sense that works for us. Because in reality each area is unique and different. Some can go about open and free economy. Some can't. But I truly do wish people would stop immediately shutting something down simply because it doesn't fit in their "side" of things.

I don’t know how you took any of that from my post. I just asked people not to use her as a source for anything as she’s not a credible person.

I was also being a jagoff, but seriously, she’s a propagandist.

Last edited:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

So, 4 articles all before any real info about the vaccines had come out. And before any of warp speed info as well. Someone else already addressed this.

One Fauci quote from early March congressional testimony (bastion of truth and accurate information) with little to no context vs a full interview from a month later where his full opinion is obvious. Even the quote lines up with his consistent story if you have the ability to understand the vaccine isn't an all or nothing proposal. He's been very clear to state that having one ready/approved doesn't mean the same thing as available. Again, nuance and gray area are tough for some to understand.

And for the record, my information on this subject has never come from any publicly available sources as they don't have any real world value to me or my current situation. My info comes from my wife via her hospital and the constant updates she receives as that impacts me directly. She's been part of their briefings since before the virus became widespread news here in the states. Their vaccination plan has ALWAYS been for first doses around end of calendar year, with expanding availability as we go along (again, I've had this same convo with Jaded I don't know how many times). This is the same way I've known since early on that the virus was transmissible via aerosol. As far as posters that aren't MDs/epidemiologists/virologists go, I'm probably one of the most informed around here. So you can tell what I think of your ignorance accusation ...

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So, 4 articles all before any real info about the vaccines had come out. And before any of warp speed info as well. Someone else already addressed this.

One Fauci quote from early March congressional testimony (bastion of truth and accurate information) with little to no context vs a full interview from a month later where his full opinion is obvious. Even the quote lines up with his consistent story if you have the ability to understand the vaccine isn't an all or nothing proposal. He's been very clear to state that having one ready/approved doesn't mean the same thing as available. Again, nuance and gray area are tough for some to understand.

And for the record, my information on this subject has never come from any publicly available sources as they don't have any real world value to me or my current situation. My info comes from my wife via her hospital and the constant updates she receives as that impacts me directly. She's been part of their briefings since before the virus became widespread news here in the states. Their vaccination plan has ALWAYS been for first doses around end of calendar year, with expanding availability as we go along (again, I've had this same convo with Jaded I don't know how many times). This is the same way I've known since early on that the virus was transmissible via aerosol. As far as posters that aren't MDs/epidemiologists/virologists go, I'm probably one of the most informed around here. So you can tell what I think of your ignorance accusation ...

I mean it's pretty simple. Were these things being said on mainstream media? Did the guy you specifically mention say it?

Okay. These are easy answers. And I'm happy you have the massive understanding/medical background because you are very intelligent on how to handle it. I fully know you will take the precautions needed to be safe, healthy, and protecting your loved ones. That's a huge positive to me. That's not the case when stuff like that is said.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean it's pretty simple. Were these things being said on mainstream media? Did the guy you specifically mention say it?

Okay. These are easy answers. And I'm happy you have the massive understanding/medical background because you are very intelligent on how to handle it. I fully know you will take the precautions needed to be safe, healthy, and protecting your loved ones. That's a huge positive to me. That's not the case when stuff like that is said.

Media is constantly posting stories one day and changing the topics the next day. Interesting take here.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Count me among those. I'm 25 and was going to lose my parents coverage anyway but, I was covered under my mother's marriot family plan. She has been furloughed by Marriot since April or so, and her benefits were lost about 2 or 3 months ago. Luckily my folks and I qualified for Medicaid. Still though, it was extremely stressful on my mom and it sucked seeing her so distraught.
more damage done by stopping people from work. imo

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Townhall. :laugh:

Would you have a more substantive response if the original post had linked the original story from the local Denver station?

Grand County Coroner: Colorado Should Improve Classification Of COVID Deaths

Attributing two murder-suicide deaths to COVID is simply misleading, and the system should be able to account for this in a timely way. However, in the big picture these types of deaths are probably a really small percentage of deaths that are at least temporarily attributed to COVID.

Anyway, the description of the reporter says she's "Emmy Award winning", so the story must be worth a spin.

Last edited:
Reactions: KIRK

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I was complaining to a friend about not being able to taste or smell anything. They said, well at least you're not dead.

f*** that, I'd rather be dead.

I'd rather you be alive :laugh:

My friend who had it said it went away 1 week after. Actually weird scenario my buddy had some basic oral procedure before and lost his taste for 2 years. The doctor messed up and I wish i could remember the full details as it was a hockey injury like 8 years ago. f***ing 2 years. Could you imagine when you first taste again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad