News Article: COVID 19 POSITIVITY THREAD: Useful links, hopeful news etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If anyone needs a chuckle and a smile go by the intersection of Plessis and Regent at around supper hour. There is a guy who dances non-stop holding a little Caesar's sign , he's done it every summer for a few years now. :laugh:

boanst

May 25, 2013
If anyone needs a chuckle and a smile go by the intersection of Plessis and Regent at around supper hour. There is a guy who dances non-stop holding a little Caesar's sign , he's done it every summer for a few years now. :laugh:

I want to know where he gets that energy

Reactions: Jedub and Jets 31

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Pass the HP MMMMMM

Ah yes, HP sauce. An important part of surviving my Mum's British-influenced cooking. Once the roast beef was done to a safe level of dehydrated greyness, the HP kept the gag reflex under control as you went to swallow it. Of course, if the HP sauce didn't do the trick, you could always wash it down with some liquified peas and carrots. :nod:

Sadly, I'm not exaggerating. How the hell I developed an appreciation for spicy global cuisine growing up in that household still escapes me. :laugh:

Reactions: Eyeseeing

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Ah yes, HP sauce. An important part of surviving my Mum's British-influenced cooking. Once the roast beef was done to a safe level of dehydrated greyness, the HP kept the gag reflex under control as you went to swallow it. Of course, if the HP sauce didn't do the trick, you could always wash it down with some liquified peas and carrots. :nod:

Sadly, I'm not exaggerating. How the hell I developed an appreciation for spicy global cuisine growing up in that household still escapes me. :laugh:

HP Sauce made the at times old, chewy deer meat I grew up on a lot more tolerable, I can relate.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

sounds familiar English (dad) Scottish (mom) and I am a “hey Boomer”

how can you like veggies when they all come out of a can and are boiled past recognition?

When dad grilled Steaks (nobody sucked more on the BBQ) he would stage them on a baking sheet to transport them in after the battle. I would bring them in and mom would do the ceremonial temperature check by slicing into one of the steaks and if there was any red at all or god forbid blood they would “all” be whisked back out so dad could finish off his incineration.....whoops grilling......of the soon to be well done meat product formerly known as Steak.

As a kid I could never understand why it was seen as taboo to put ketchup on steak? How the hell else could you get it down your throat when your Scottish mom was too cheap to buy steak sauce?

Once I hit 20 and learned about mid rare I ditched the ketchup.

Last edited:

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
sounds familiar English (dad) Scottish (mom) and I am a “hey Boomer”

how can you like veggies when they all come out of a can and are boiled pat recognition?

When dad grilled Steaks (nobody sucked more on the BBQ) he would stage them on a baking sheet to transport them in after the battle. I would bring them in and mom would do the ceremonial temperature check by slicing into one of the steaks and if there was any red at all or god forbid blood they would “all” be whisked back out so dad could finish off his incineration.....whoops grilling......of the soon to be well done meat product formerly known as Steak.

As a kid I could never understand why it was seen as taboo to put ketchup on steak? How the hell else could you get it down your throat when your Scottish mom was too cheap to by steak sauce?

Once I hit 20 and learned about mid rare I ditched the ketchup.

My Dad was also the worst steak BBQer for years, everything had to be extremely well done, nice and chewy. But once when I was there he accidentally didn't BBQ the steaks long enough to his standards so they were about medium rare. We tried it anyways, he loved it and he corrected his BBQ steak technique. Medium rare afterwords

He was damn near perfect at BBQ porkchops, though.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

Not sure this belongs in the Positivity Thread. It's a tweet from a right wing nut, that makes no sense.
Mark Dice - Wikipedia

More than likely, it will cause good money to be wasted in another dumb idea, thanks to youknowwho.

There are about half a billion alveoli in the human lungs. You'd need quite the infinitesimally small scope to get anywhere near them.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

British cuisine - the worst food in the world!

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
British cuisine - the worst food in the world!

I wouldn't go that far. Great Britain has given us:

Fish and chips (or as @flyingkiwi would say, fush and chups) ;)
Shepherd's pie
Steak and kidney pie
Cornish pasties
Prime rib roast w/ Yorkshire pudding and horseradish (level of doneness is a personal preference)
Scotch eggs
Haggis (Yes, Haggis! Don't knock it if you've never tried it) :nod:
Sticky toffee pudding
Scones

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Shepherd's pie
Steak and kidney pie
Cornish pasties
Prime rib roast w/ Yorkshire pudding and horseradish (level of doneness is a personal preference)
Scotch eggs
Sticky toffee pudding
Scones
Sticky toffee pudding is fantastic, when we were in Scotland i had it everyday after dinner. :nod:

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France

Shepherd's pie
Steak and kidney pie
Cornish pasties
Scotch eggs
Sticky toffee pudding
Scones

But NZ perfected it. :naughty:
img_0739.jpg

I've had fries here in France quite a few times now and honestly... dunno what the fuss here and in Belgium is all about. They're always so limp and soggy even when fresh out of the oil and into the cone. Even your gravy soaked poutine fries in Canada have more crisp to them.

You'd probably love the food scene in Auckland/New Zealand. There's definitely a British influence, but being so close to Asia we're pretty good at spice and seasoning too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad