News Article: COVID 19 POSITIVITY THREAD: Useful links, hopeful news etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I thought a thread that was for posting useful links, hopeful and positive news about the pandemic would be good on the nerves and moods. I'd really like to avoid any political/racial/denial discussions in here if possible as that is starting to take over other threads. Even if you have your own personal stories you want to post, go for it. Did you help out a neighbour? Did you see something that someone did that made you feel like we aren't all a bunch of hopeless assholes?

Now is the time for cooperation, support and kindness.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
You know things are getting tense here when you need a positivity thread about a global pandemic :laugh:

Not that I don't appreciate the meaning, though.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You know things are getting tense here when you need a positivity thread about a global pandemic :laugh:

Not that I don't appreciate the meaning, though.

Yeah, people can think it's stupid if they want to, I don't care. But there are things that can be done that help people cope with fear and anxiety. One of those is seeking out positive news about it, because it IS out there. Caving into fear will not help anyone out. If it gives some people a few moments of calm to read there is progress in treatments and see people are recovering etc, then I did something useful.

"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. In every dark hour of our national life a leadership of frankness and of vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people themselves which is essential to victory. And I am convinced that you will again give that support to leadership in these critical days." - FDR

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Yeah, people can think it's stupid if they want to, I don't care. But there are things that can be done that help people cope with fear and anxiety. One of those is seeking out positive news about it, because it IS out there. Caving into fear will not help anyone out. If it gives some people a few moments of calm to read there is progress in treatments and see people are recovering etc, then I did something useful.

"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance. In every dark hour of our national life a leadership of frankness and of vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people themselves which is essential to victory. And I am convinced that you will again give that support to leadership in these critical days." - FDR
It’s a very good idea.
You will see some of the very best behaviours in people and how they can shine in difficult situations.
Thumbs up for this thread

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
More good news:

I am wondering if this is the one Gates talked about on Wednesday this week? Bill also said it is easy to manufacture it at scale. He felt it would be weeks until we have a very robust supply. It’s also way less painful apparently.

Testing is critical so this could be very good news.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Testing testing testing:

Cheap, quick emergency ventilators:

3M cranking out the N95 masks:

Canada Goose cranking out PPE:

Vanessa Friedman on Twitter

And Bauer:

Francois Gagnon on Twitter

Lots of good stuff happening. Just stay the course...slow this thing down until the full force of the world's efforts are brought to bear. We're still playing catch-up but once we hit our stride...

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The main reason robust testing is so critical is it will allow much more targeted, effective, mandatory isolation tactics eventually. That was one of the main pillars in South Korea’s successful turn around strategy.

part 1

Lesson 2: Test Early, Often and Safely

South Korea has tested far more people for the coronavirus than any other country, enabling it to isolate and treat many people soon after they are infected.
The country has conducted over 300,000 tests, for a per-capita rate more than 40 times that of the United States.
“Testing is central because that leads to early detection, it minimizes further spread and it quickly treats those found with the virus,” Kang Kyung-wha, South Korea’s foreign minister, told the BBC, calling the tests “the key behind our very low fatality rate as well.”

Part 2
Though South Korea is sometimes portrayed as having averted an epidemic, thousands of people were infected and the government was initially accused of complacency. Its approach to testing was designed to turn back an outbreak already underway.
To spare hospitals and clinics from being overwhelmed, officials opened 600 testing centers designed to screen as many people as possible, as quickly as possible — and keep health workers safe by minimizing contact.
At 50 drive-through stations, patients are tested without leaving their cars. They are given a questionnaire, a remote temperature scan and a throat swab. The process takes about 10 minutes. Test results are usually back within hours.
At some walk-in centers, patients enter a chamber resembling a transparent phone booth. Health workers administer throat swabs using thick rubber gloves built into the chamber’s walls.
Relentless public messaging urges South Koreans to seek testing if they or someone they know develop symptoms. Visitors from abroad are required to download a smartphone app that guides them through self-checks for symptoms.
Offices, hotels and other large buildings often use thermal image cameras to identify people with fevers. Many restaurants check customers’ temperatures before accepting them.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Lots of encouraging things happening in BC in regards to their doubling numbers/rate of infection and their recovery numbers . I think it's important we watch what is happening there because they were basically the first place in Canada with cases and most provinces followed what they did and Canada is overall in synch with control measures, as opposed to comparing things with NYC or Italy which will just give you panic attacks and night sweats. I feel BC is more indicative of what will happen here. Quebec, I'm not sure what happened there with their numbers being so high. More testing?

Edit: Spring Break in Quebec is earlier than the rest of the country Mar 2-9, apparently that has contributed significantly to higher numbers there. Was reading one article that it was at the worst possible time as that was when the virus was really starting to embed and spread.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Amazon will help Seattle residents receive at-home COVID-19 testing

Seattle Coronavirus Assessment Network(SCAN), a research effort based on the prior Seattle Flu Study initiative that is now dedicated to better understanding the spread of the novel coronavirus. It has funding from Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates’ private Gates Ventures investment arm and receives technical assistance from his philanthropic group, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
The effort mirrors one in the San Francisco Bay Area [URL='https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/20/21187521/mark-zuckerberg-chan-initiative-biohub-ucsf-covid-19-testing-coronavirus']funded by Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s philanthropic and medical research groups. Both represent some of the most significant corporate investments in trying to make up for the failures of the federal government in rolling out widespread testing to the US.
[/URL]
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.the...-testing-kits-flu-study-bill-gates-foundation

Building on the testing news this is something I am following. Gates foundation in partnership with Amazon are establishing a robust home testing process for embattled Seattle. Similar to what Zuckerberg is funding in SF.

Not waiting around for government to act.

Keep innovating America it’s what you are great at. We

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Man, all the positive news I know of has already been posted :laugh:

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for new info to post.

Thanks for starting this thread. It's a good stabilizing thing to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad