OT: Covid-19 (Part 58) Valentine's Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Just give tax credits when you get a dose or something.

The passport outlived its usefulness at this point.

Although I agree that passport outlived it's usefulness right now, might be different in the next couple of months.....updated vaccine or new variant or instant testing, many thing can change.

Always been a math guy, especially all through this pandemic.....if true that more than 2 millions people in QC caught Omicron in the last couple of weeks, and I wouldn't be surprise it's more than this with the asymptomatic.....then we look at the hospitals where 40-50% were incidental cases, including that many at that time were a result of the rises in Delta's cases also......I really wonder what the real rate of Omicron hospitalization.

We will never know cause we'll never know the real numbers of cases, of which hospitalization was cause by Delta or Omicron and many variable are still unknown......but it all point in one direction.....

Reactions: Licou

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019

The problem with passport is that it's a very slow measure to put in place: when announced, you have the wait weeks til it could be effective. That was a good measure to get people vaccinated but it could not be in reaction to a wave.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
yeah... the thing is that from the start, it wasn't "truckers" at large that were expressing grievances. vast majority of truckers in canada are vaccinated. This was, if one took the time to look closely at the available details, always a fringe movement that used effective prograganda to create the perception that they were speaking on behalf of "truckers", when they never were.

That, plus the very visible signs of fascist groups mobilizing under the cover of the "freedom" and "truckers" narratives, that were readily apparent from the start, made it quite clear that this was never about the very legitimate grievances and concerns that every sector and community in the country are dealing with... it's a freaking global pandemic, there isn't anyone who hasn't been hurt or negatively affected by it, and it's obvious that government responses have been far from perfect (wether one aligns more to looser or stricter approaches to public health restrictions).

anyways, it's positive that more and more people who were duped at the start are seeing this for what it is, and that various levels of the govt are finally taking the type of legal action that should've been imposed from the very beginning... it should not be lost on anyone that the biggest reason the feet have been dragging is a further reflection of just how much discrimination and unequal access to the freedoms and rights enshrined in our constitution and legal institutions there continues to be... and hopefully Canadians will not soon forget the politicians and media outlets that are proving in real time just how hypocritical they are, and hold them accountable in the future...

the receipts can only be ignored if integrity means nothing to a person...

FLU5-gbXoAElNhk

Ha that Poilievre....he was one those empty shelves fake news and fear mongering politicians......still waiting for my empty shelves at the grocery store.

Oh it's true, they don't talk about this anymore, lies went away and they went to another bullshit rhetoric to put some fear in their bases which don't even realize they are being lied to constantly.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Dubé saying that they could look at removing the vaccine passport soon. But mentions that part of the discussions they need to have internally is to have a plan if they need to mandate them again if need be.

There is nothing with reassessing the situation as needed. I just fear once we remove mandates people will refuse to buy in again.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I’d keep the passports for now. Make it the third shot a requirement. If nothing else you’d get a huge uptick in people getting the third shot.

The real question is what happens when the next variant shows up?

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
I’d keep the passports for now. Make it the third shot a requirement. If nothing else you’d get a huge uptick in people getting the third shot.

The real question is what happens when the next variant shows up?

The third shot requirement is going to be hugely unpopular I think. We should focus on making sure older people have their 3 shots.

Trucker shenanigans aside, the passport is causing too much social rifts. It's not worth it to keep it in my opinion. It did its job in Quebec, where a huge majority of us are vaccinated to different degrees.

The next wave/variant will have to be handled by non mandatory boosters and previously acquired immunity. I just don't think there is enough political capital left to keep it. I might be wrong of course.

Reactions: the

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The third shot requirement is going to be hugely unpopular I think. We should focus on making sure older people have their 3 shots.

Trucker shenanigans aside, the passport is causing too much social rifts. It's not worth it to keep it in my opinion. It did its job in Quebec, where a huge majority of us are vaccinated to different degrees.

The next wave/variant will have to be handled by non mandatory boosters and previously acquired immunity. I just don't think there is enough political capital left to keep it. I might be wrong of course.
If it’s for two shots, then might as well not have it at all. And it’s only 60 percent protection at the third shot too. It was way more cut and dry with Delta.

Now? I honestly don’t know. But I think if we just opened up… it would be a disaster with only half of us having had the third shot.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
If it’s for two shots, then might as well not have it at all. And it’s only 60 percent protection at the third shot too. It was way more cut and dry with Delta.

Now? I honestly don’t know. But I think if we just opened up… it would be a disaster with only half of us having had the third shot.

Yeah, I fully get your point, but I would just add that it has been shown that an infection after vaccination acts just like a booster shot.

The reason why lifting measures make sense is because of all of this acquired immunity.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah, I fully get your point, but I would just add that it has been shown that an infection after vaccination acts just like a booster shot.

The reason why lifting measures make sense is because of all of this acquired immunity.
I don’t know. Like I said, it was very cut and dry with Delta. Omicron really messed things up.

MisterDodu

Jun 16, 2021

It's crazy how things change quickly. Just a few weeks back saying that we wouldn't be adding the 3rd dose to the passport was seen as heresy by many, left alone the idea that we would remove the passport altogether.

I think it's a good thing, as I tried to say probably too many times around here (sorry about that...), it's not about being for or against these measures, it's just that it's so hard to keep these things logical and fair that you cannot keep them going with it for too long.

Plus, how long can you keep it going if nothing meaningful in terms of wave happens? No government could survive a "well I guess we had you use a vaccine passport for the last 9 months for absolutely nothing, so we are now going to remove it". It will be measures when there's a wave, and you stop them when things calm down, there's no other way to deal with this at the moment.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

Just get rid of the passport, and announce we are rationing healthcare. Realistically we have to do this anyway, we don't have a better solution with or without the passport.

If you get COVID and need to be hospitalized, well, take a few vitamin d pills and get plenty of bed rest. Dunno what else to tell you. We can't be hospitalizing people with COVID anymore, just don't have the staff for it.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I was on the fence at first. Despite the mixed messages coming from different branches of 'leadership', it's hard for me to preemptively condemn a protest because of 'what-ifs'. I disagree with the original grievance of the truckers, but they had a right to be heard.

Unfortunately, that ship sailed pretty quickly. Almost immediately the whole thing stopped being about a single policy and became a wannabe insurrection. Am I shocked? No. It follows the repeated pattern of narcissists hijacking a large group for their own vanity project. It also shows how easily regular people submit to mob mentality - it fills 'em with self-importance, a cause, it's a 24-hour party, etc. Imagine believing you have the right to overthrow a government and form your own police force. Insane...

Bottom line is we want a country that's free enough to allow these protests, but organized and decisive enough to demand respectful limits. This was a failure of law enforcement and leaders.
Wanna be insurrection Lolol.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Wanna be insurrection Lolol.

What do you think is their end game here? What do you think should be the reaction of the government against the bridge blockers? What would you say if your city was invaded by noisy protesters?

What are you going to say when the inevitable police intervention starts?

I am not doubting that you are aiding with the good intentions of this protest, but it's beginning to be very problematic...

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
What do you think is their end game here? What do you think should be the reaction of the government against the bridge blockers? What would you say if your city was invaded by noisy protesters?

What are you going to say when the inevitable police intervention starts?

I am not doubting that you are aiding with the good intentions of this protest, but it's beginning to be very problematic...
Peoples lives have been ripped upside down and I’m supposed to give a crap about some noise?? Medical freedom, lockdowns, loss of income, loss of travel, separation from loved ones, families fighting each other, all good, but noise, that’s where we have to draw the line.

Not buying the insurrection narrative one bit. Protests are meant to be uncomfortable. Much of the world is moving on, not here. Too many egos involved.

The police will inevitably jump in, that doesn’t make it just.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Peoples lives have been ripped upside down and I’m supposed to give a crap about some noise?? Medical freedom, lockdowns, loss of income, loss of travel, separation from loved ones, families fighting each other, all good, but noise, that’s where we have to draw the line.

Not buying the insurrection narrative one bit. Protests are meant to be uncomfortable. Much of the world is moving on, not here. Too many egos involved.

The police will inevitably jump in, that doesn’t make it just.

Canada has started to move on. And the truckers have most definitely directly accelerated things.

I know you are with the good faith protesters, I have nothing against that.

But there will be legitimate police repression sooner or later... I wish this wasn't necessary.

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
Not buying the insurrection narrative one bit.

Doesn't matter if you buy it or not. Organizers (bolded to raise a distinction between organizers and the majority of participants so as not to send you into a conniption) have literally said they want to dissolve the government.

Protests are meant to be uncomfortable.

They're not meant to terrorize regular people. MPs don't live in the areas being blasted with horns 24/7.

Much of the world is moving on, not here. Too many egos involved.

Almost every province has announced they're moving towards loosening restrictions. What are you talking about?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Canada has started to move on. And the truckers have most definitely directly accelerated things.

I know you are with the good faith protesters, I have nothing against that.

But there will be legitimate police repression sooner or later... I wish this wasn't necessary.
I hope they stay until they are gone to never return. Cops going door to door with information on protests because they’ve been reading ppls social media posts. It is a right in Canada to protest. These types of intimidation tactics should not be tolerated in this country.

If some are happy with the police state we’re becoming, shame on them. Arresting old men for honking their horn. Give me a break.

Reactions: Cypruss

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Doesn't matter if you buy it or not. Organizers (bolded to raise a distinction between organizers and the majority of participants so as not to send you into a conniption) have literally said they want to dissolve the government.

They're not meant to terrorize regular people. MPs don't live in the areas being blasted with horns 24/7.

Almost every province has announced they're moving towards loosening restrictions. What are you talking about?
You’re wrong in nearly everything you said. Loosening is not enough.

Reactions: Cypruss

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
I hope they stay until they are gone to never return. Cops going door to door with information on protests because they’ve been reading ppls social media posts. It is a right in Canada to protest. These types of intimidation tactics should not be tolerated in this country.

If some are happy with the police state we’re becoming, shame on them. Arresting old men for honking their horn. Give me a break.

Where I draw the line is blocking major trade routes...

In a real police state, you know as well as I do that it would have been repressed much faster and harder.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

The end is near.

Will the Covid alarmists, on this thread, keep the mask, distancing and avoid gathering... after the end of the mandates ?

I will be going out just as much, not more or less. I will probably keep my mask on for a while longer though.

I don’t consider myself an alarmist though. I just don’t want to close again when we fill up hospitals.

Reactions: Zorba
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad