OT: Covid-19 (Part 58) Valentine's Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
A little late....

At least everybody seeing their game, as I've said from the starts, this is a political influence operation and an anti-democratic one on top of it.

yup... was apparent from the very beginning... late response that let this idiocy negatively affect far too many lives unnecessarily. sad how many people fell for the "freedom" nonsense when from day one, this thing was more about toxic and insidious elements of our society using propaganda and the legitimate fear/hurt of many of us to then infringe on the freedoms of our communities more than anything else.

Crazy how many apologists and fence-sitters were quick to support it, try in vain to rationalize all the visible signs of toxicity and ignore the obvious hate-driven and fascist elements at the root of this "movement"... better late than never I guess.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Windsor bridge protestors have begun clearing the inbound lane (US to Canada) this morning.

These protestors are deplorable, but they are not total f***wits.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
yup... was apparent from the very beginning... late response that let this idiocy negatively affect far too many lives unnecessarily. sad how many people fell for the "freedom" nonsense when from day one, this thing was more about toxic and insidious elements of our society using propaganda and the legitimate fear/hurt of many of us to then infringe on the freedoms of our communities more than anything else.

Crazy how many apologists and fence-sitters were quick to support it, try in vain to rationalize all the visible signs of toxicity and ignore the obvious hate-driven and fascist elements at the root of this "movement"... better late than never I guess.
I was on the fence at first. Despite the mixed messages coming from different branches of 'leadership', it's hard for me to preemptively condemn a protest because of 'what-ifs'. I disagree with the original grievance of the truckers, but they had a right to be heard.

Unfortunately, that ship sailed pretty quickly. Almost immediately the whole thing stopped being about a single policy and became a wannabe insurrection. Am I shocked? No. It follows the repeated pattern of narcissists hijacking a large group for their own vanity project. It also shows how easily regular people submit to mob mentality - it fills 'em with self-importance, a cause, it's a 24-hour party, etc. Imagine believing you have the right to overthrow a government and form your own police force. Insane...

Bottom line is we want a country that's free enough to allow these protests, but organized and decisive enough to demand respectful limits. This was a failure of law enforcement and leaders.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

You have to think Quebec will follow suit on March 14th.

With -100 in the hospitals todays, if the trend continue we should be ready to go....but they might keep masks and vaccine passport until the summer, we had a wave in the months of March and April.

MJG

Sep 18, 2007
Somewhere
I would not be surprised if they kept passports and mask mandates in place through the spring.

Especially the passports. I could see Legault trying to get the final 10% vaxxed. And what better way than opening everything up and the only people not alllowed to do much are the unvaxxed.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I was on the fence at first. Despite the mixed messages coming from different branches of 'leadership', it's hard for me to preemptively condemn a protest because of 'what-ifs'. I disagree with the original grievance of the truckers, but they had a right to be heard.

Unfortunately, that ship sailed pretty quickly. Almost immediately the whole thing stopped being about a single policy and became a wannabe insurrection. Am I shocked? No. It follows the repeated pattern of narcissists hijacking a large group for their own vanity project. It also shows how easily regular people submit to mob mentality - it fills 'em with self-importance, a cause, it's a 24-hour party, etc. Imagine believing you have the right to overthrow a government and form your own police force. Insane...

Bottom line is we want a country that's free enough to allow these protests, but organized and decisive enough to demand respectful limits. This was a failure of law enforcement and leaders.

yeah... the thing is that from the start, it wasn't "truckers" at large that were expressing grievances. vast majority of truckers in canada are vaccinated. This was, if one took the time to look closely at the available details, always a fringe movement that used effective prograganda to create the perception that they were speaking on behalf of "truckers", when they never were.

That, plus the very visible signs of fascist groups mobilizing under the cover of the "freedom" and "truckers" narratives, that were readily apparent from the start, made it quite clear that this was never about the very legitimate grievances and concerns that every sector and community in the country are dealing with... it's a freaking global pandemic, there isn't anyone who hasn't been hurt or negatively affected by it, and it's obvious that government responses have been far from perfect (wether one aligns more to looser or stricter approaches to public health restrictions).

anyways, it's positive that more and more people who were duped at the start are seeing this for what it is, and that various levels of the govt are finally taking the type of legal action that should've been imposed from the very beginning... it should not be lost on anyone that the biggest reason the feet have been dragging is a further reflection of just how much discrimination and unequal access to the freedoms and rights enshrined in our constitution and legal institutions there continues to be... and hopefully Canadians will not soon forget the politicians and media outlets that are proving in real time just how hypocritical they are, and hold them accountable in the future...

the receipts can only be ignored if integrity means nothing to a person...

FLU5-gbXoAElNhk

Jul 6, 2016
I would not be surprised if they kept passports and mask mandates in place through the spring.

Especially the passports. I could see Legault trying to get the final 10% vaxxed. And what better way than opening everything up and the only people not alllowed to do much are the unvaxxed.

Only 45% have their three doses.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Dubé saying that they could look at removing the vaccine passport soon. But mentions that part of the discussions they need to have internally is to have a plan if they need to mandate them again if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad