OT: Covid-19 (Part 56) Convoy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Isn’t the mandate only really for cross border workers? So if you have enough vaccinated truckers to cover the non vaccinated, why is there a big stink among the non vaccinated? Something doesn’t add up. If they ain’t crossing, they don’t need to worry then.

What I'm talking about is not about the specific situation, it's about basic team management.

"I wish you would get vaccinated
But I refuse to force you to do so
I support your right to protest
I'll even come to support that right
If the rules start affecting the business, I'll have to adjust to preserve the sanctity of the business"

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
If you see the CBC as biased maybe you should examine your standards. I'm a liberal but I don't particularly like the federal liberals (some exceptions, I know a single liberal MP from the Ottawa area and he's awesome). I find the CBC tends to bend over backwards trying to please people with your standards.
I see the CBC as primarily of a public relations wing of the federal government. Peter Mansbridge said they need to be better and I agree.

I’m not sure if people of my sTandards is meant to be an insult or what. What is somebody of my standards ?

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
If you see the CBC as biased maybe you should examine your standards. I'm a liberal but I don't particularly like the federal liberals (some exceptions, I know a single liberal MP from the Ottawa area and he's awesome). I find the CBC tends to bend over backwards trying to please people with your standards.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: That's awesome stuff. Why do you think the Liberals keep pumping money into the CBC, because they are unbiased. :laugh:

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
I see the CBC as primarily of a public relations wing of the federal government. Peter Mansbridge said they need to be better and I agree.

I’m not sure if people of my sTandards is meant to be an insult or what. What is somebody of my standards ?
You also think 90% of media is "left" which is objectively false if you know what being "left" politically means so...

Reactions: Miller Time

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Maybe I'm late to the thread but Neil Young is one my favourites and I'm glad he's bringing light to the situation of disinformation in America. It is not "political differences" when you're straight up spreading lies and giving platforms to capitalists/conspiracy theorists exploiting dumb Americans and literally getting people killed. They're at almost a million dead in the States. It's now at a point where I know people who were anti-vax and have died in their 30's leaving kids behind. It's not two sides of a coin and you could be on either side. It's right vs wrong. Rogan is a hack whos dived deeper and deeper into conspiracy theories over the past 5-6 years and has been a huge voice for anti-vax anti-mask people.

People in America, and Canada, are just too f'ing dumb. I'm going to live as a hermit in a place with nice weather once COVID blows over or people give up trying to contain it.

Reactions: Forum93

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
They’re basically CNN’s equivalent of Tucker/Hannity/ and whoever else fox is parading out there now. A bunch of blowhards pretending to be unbiased and reporting the news. Cuomo was recently let go for interfering in Governor Cuomo’s sexual assault allegations. I think he tried to intimidate his accusers or someshit.
Oh, thanks. I don’t watch CNN.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

I meant right/left.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Well the people who need it got their 5 minutes of hate, ranting at a non-existent effigy. It's pretty clear the demonstration isn't on any subject, it's just people saying that they're really pissed off there is a pandemic during their lifetime, and they are absolutely correct that it sucks that it happened to them and to us. They very obviously don't have a happy solution in the same way that no one else has a happy solution, or, as they keep asking, a way to go back to 2018 and just live that way.

The point from the coverage is that now that the US has adopted the same rules protesting in Canada is purely for enjoyment and not to actually achieve anything.
This just isn’t true. Instead of trying to understand what they are for you make a blanket statement based on your perception. I think the fact you don’t agree with them is clouding your judgement. The goal is pretty clear, lift the mandates and the passports. There’s a fringe group that wants Trudeau to resign, but this was never about that.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I meant right/left.
I don’t consider myself to have an allegiance to any political party. Somethings on the left I agree with and somethings on the right I agree with. I consider both to be tax and spend and too big. I believe in fiscal conservatism to a degree, but I don’t find either party to be serious about that. I believe social programs can be good, I don’t believe government belongs in ppls bedrooms. I believe in a womans right to choose etc, local elections I vote for the person who I think best represents my views. That is sometimes a conservative and sometimes a liberal.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
I was at the Convoy in the Renfrew area last night around 8:30PM. It was wonderful. Nothing but smiles, families, flags. Was freezing my ass off but I've never felt unity and patriotism like that since I was 16 years old and drove from Montreal to parliament on Canada day. People just want a return to normalcy and to ditch restrictions on our lives. They're fighting for every single canadian whether they can see it yet or not! Go Canada!

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Um... maybe you haven't been paying attention?

The entire thing is precisely about rules. That's the real world. All the waves parting, freedom fighting nonsense is the fantasy a few deluded individuals with too much time, money & freedom (ironically enough) on their hands.

Most people contributing to society are too busy at work & helping the community deal with the pandemic to get caught up in these dystopic fantasies.

I've left 100% of my income behind in the past on the grounds of my values. My wife supported me 100%.

Life is about more than revenue. Losing sight of that is at the root of the worst things in our society, whatever left or right stories parasites of profit choose to latch on to in justifying their consumption driven shallow lives.

The lack of truckers had nothing to do with vaccine mandates... any more than the restaurant industry struggling to get staff back after 2020.

Bad industry model that let owners increasingly steal more of the profit while gutting the average compensation of the people doing the heavy lifting (or driving in this case) for decades is why there are labor shortages.

Blaming the govt for safety regulations intended, however imperfectly, to mitigate a pandemic that has killed 33,000 Canadians in 2 years, is not just immoral, it's stupid and self-serving.

But please carry on... feel free to dm me what goods & services your business deals with, and I'll gladly shift to alternatives or alternative providers who don't see an issue with marrying ethics to business.

You are making quite a severe accusation here, that I don't care about rules and regulation. It can't be further from the truth. You are warping arguments about team management into moral arguments about rules and regulation, way over-reach batman. Stop virtue signalling and tell the truth.

Rules and regulations should be based on facts/truth discovered by science. Many decisions during this pandemic were government overreach going completely against the science (business folks followed these directives, because frankly we got paid to do the wrong things - instead of fighting dumb legal battles - no good choices here). Right now 5 countries in Europe are going endemic, removing most health measures, because the data is clear: Omicron should end all health measures after the initial wave, the fatality rate is too low. Most universities in Canada agree with that European opinion. The Canadian government is currently not acting based on the science to establish rules and regulation. There is something to protest, not that I would protest it myself, I understand that not everything should be strictly tied to scientific facts at all times (empathy for what is happening on the ground etc.). Omicron should also return the power to the parliaments...

I wasn't challenging the rules and regulation in any way shape or form, all I said was that as the owner of the company I would have to support my whole team to keep it. I just wrote the email I would send my crew in my last post. That's the reality here, that supporting your team as a business owner is what a business person would do, instead of acting on unproven ethics ahead of a protest. Your wife would have screamed at you because that's just cutting your own foot in stupidity. If you act ahead of the information in business, you would end up cutting half your business every week...

You can't dodge my products/services - or better yet, dodge them and realize the alternative is much worse after the fact.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
I was at the Convoy in the Renfrew area last night around 8:30PM. It was wonderful. Nothing but smiles, families, flags. Was freezing my ass off but I've never felt unity and patriotism like that since I was 16 years old and drove from Montreal to parliament on Canada day. People just want a return to normalcy and to ditch restrictions on our lives. They're fighting for every single canadian whether they can see it yet or not! Go Canada!
That is awesome. I was listening to TSN Montreal & the guy (morning show) was talking about the convoy-saying their mission statement was saying they want to overthrow the government. Sounded like propaganda. Couldn't find anywhere where it said that. Mandates at this point will not end this.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Maybe I'm late to the thread but Neil Young is one my favourites and I'm glad he's bringing light to the situation of disinformation in America. It is not "political differences" when you're straight up spreading lies and giving platforms to capitalists/conspiracy theorists exploiting dumb Americans and literally getting people killed. They're at almost a million dead in the States. It's now at a point where I know people who were anti-vax and have died in their 30's leaving kids behind. It's not two sides of a coin and you could be on either side. It's right vs wrong. Rogan is a hack whos dived deeper and deeper into conspiracy theories over the past 5-6 years and has been a huge voice for anti-vax anti-mask people.

People in America, and Canada, are just too f'ing dumb. I'm going to live as a hermit in a place with nice weather once COVID blows over or people give up trying to contain it.
This outrage at ppl who disagree with you is mind boggling to me. Neil Young made a stupid decision and now he’s gone off of Spotify for it. This was his ultimatum not theirs. Are people so sensitive now that if anyone has a different opinion they need to be deplatformed to protect the stupid?
This is all becoming very dangerous. The thought police are out in full force and I don’t like it.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I’m not going to respond to your nonsense again after this one. You are looking for things to argue after all the fear mongering you regurgitated from your trusted news sources. Some bad actors show up to everything, including hockey games. It has nothing to do with people who are there to protest peacefully. If you want to continue to post nonsense about how some people parked on sacred ground, fill your boots. One of us is/has done time in the forces and it isn’t you. Don’t pretend you value their sacrifice more than I. You don’t. Direct your fake outrage somewhere else. I’m not falling for it.

You seem to be the only person outraged here :laugh:

Doing time in the forces is irrelevant to anything we've discussed.

I would hope anyone serving or who has served in the Canadian military would
- be 100% against nazis in any space
- not afraid to speak up against bigotry wherever it surfaces

The protestors did a lot of unfortunate things today, the parking & the statue stuff are disrespectful, but there are idiots anywhere.

The hate stuff, snd those who marched side by side with it, or try to downplay it, that's pretty disgusting. Not the Canada I want to be a part of, and the vast majority of people I know, regardless of politics, gender, race, economic beliefs et. feel the same way.

You feel fine with that stuff, or want to ignore it... shame on you. The beauty of the freedom present for all of us in Canada, contrary to the idiotic narratives driving this protest, is that even people with disgusting views like that can walk around and protest...

Reactions: 1909

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
You are making quite a severe accusation here, that I don't care about rules and regulation. It can't be further from the truth. You are warping arguments about team management into moral arguments about rules and regulation, way over-reach batman. Stop virtue signalling and tell the truth.

Rules and regulations should be based on facts/truth discovered by science. Many decisions during this pandemic were government overreach going completely against the science (business folks followed these directives, because frankly we got paid to do the wrong things - instead of fighting dumb legal battles - no good choices here). Right now 5 countries in Europe are going endemic, removing most health measures, because the data is clear: Omicron should end all health measures after the initial wave, the fatality rate is too low. Most universities in Canada agree with that European opinion. The Canadian government is currently not acting based on the science to establish rules and regulation. There is something to protest, not that I would protest it myself, I understand that not everything should be strictly tied to scientific facts at all times (empathy for what is happening on the ground etc.). Omicron should also return the power to the parliaments...

I wasn't challenging the rules and regulation in any way shape or form, all I said was that as the owner of the company I would have to support my whole team to keep it. I just wrote the email I would send my crew in my last post. That's the reality here, that supporting your team as a business owner is what a business person would do, instead of acting on unproven ethics ahead of a protest. Your wife would have screamed at you because that's just cutting your own foot in stupidity. If you act ahead of the information in business, you would end up cutting half your business every week...

You can't dodge my products/services - or better yet, dodge them and realize the alternative is much worse after the fact.

This post highlights a very poor understanding of public health or public policy on general.

Last edited:

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg

Screw Neil Young, he should shut up. Guy used to be anti big corp's & gov, now he is 100% big corp & gov.
I watched the Rogan interview with Dr Malone (along with 50M+ others) & not surprisingly it was labelled misinformation, but they don't pinpoint what was exactly misinformation. No one with that Dr's credentials can discredit what he said. Rogan did a good job of asking basic questions. People should actually watch the interview before condemning it. Most of the Dr's speaking up are against the hospitals & government suppressing the treatment of the people contracting covid. So many more people would have been saved had they been allowed to use therapeutics. Dr Malone's opinion is that kids under 12 should not be given this vaccine unless they have underlying health issues. Not what the government says. Sweden yesterday just banned the use of these vaccines for kids under 12 citing no benefit. He is vaccinated btw & has had covid.
They (Sweden) won't be the first or last to do so. With Omicron being the dominate strain, vaccines have limited effect on it-per the CEO of Pfizer (before his video was pulled from youtube). Big pharma is now working on trials for a booster for Omicron now. So what is the push vaccines on everyone with vaccine that has limited effectiveness on the new variant? All abut money & power. Trudeau wants full obedience. NO questions asked. I also recommend watching Senator Ron Johnson,video "Covid-a second opinion" for even more information regarding a vaccine that provides no immunity.
i also recommend a Montreal Lawyer on youtube, Viva Frei-has pretty good insight into issues.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
Check. out the divisive left wing rhetoric in this CBC article!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/navigating-ottawa-during-protest-convoy-1.6331704

Originally planned against vaccine mandates in the trucking industry, the protest has attracted international attention and grown to become a wider demonstration against the federal government's handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The audacity!

Plans are in place for traffic disruption and parking, police said, as they have been in constant communication with the captains of the convoys.
Residents should expect downtown gridlock to cause disturbances across the city.

Such division

The City of Ottawa has paused all snow removal and asks residents not to request routine snow removal. It says it intends to restart removal as soon as it makes sense to do so.

I hear Trudeau gave direct orders for them to say that!

At around 8 p.m. Saturday, the Ottawa Police Service said crowds were beginning to disperse, but gridlock remained. There had been no incidents of violence or injuries reported, the force said.

Wow what am I reading? The Communist Manifesto??

Reactions: Miller Time

Jul 6, 2016
The manifestation going on in Ottawa is the PROOF that we are living in a free country. Such a convoy in Russia, China, North Korea or even USA would had been blocked swiftly and with force. By the way, US also demands truckers to get their vaccines.

That manifestation is an insult to the 90% of the population who had been vaccinated and are following the rules. I certainly won't applaud a bunch of in vaccinated hard heads who have just not helped Canada to get rid of COVID and restrictions earlier. Folks who are lead by a bunch of pro Trump ass lickers and far right activists.

Reactions: Forum93
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad