OT: Covid-19 (Part 42) All Night Long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Killed the elderly, obese and vulnerable. I'm a COVID RN in a very large teaching hospital in the USA. I've seen it with my own eyes.
If you're young and healthy you dont need any further protections.

I'm not going to dig into "parameters of trials " to please you. It's well known that the vaccine was rushed under Operation Warp Speed. Impressive for sure. And it appears to be working for those who need it. That's all that matters.
We'll always have the neurotic Nancy's lecturing everyone to take it.

Again, what was rushed? I have yet to see someone being able to point out something that would affect the validity of the trials.

What was made those trials faster:
- Phases were overlapped to save time at the risk of losing money if the vaccine fail.
- Rolling review was done so the health agency could see the results as they become available to save time.
- Review was prioritized over less important trials.
- Participants recruitment was greatly accelerated. due to public willingness.
- Statistical power was achieved faster due to disease prevalence.

There have been over 1 billion people who got vaccinated worldwide and it is very easy to see that the vaccines works very well and are safe.

Of course it killed preferentially the elderly, obese and vulnerable, like any other infectious disease ever. I'm surprised that as a RN in a Covid19 ward you have a hard time grasping that.

There have been people of all ages dying of this and many more developed post-infection complications.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I'm telling you to go ahead. Why are you getting so defensive? Roll the dice if it's so safe. I don't care if you want to chance it with COVID.
I dont even consider it a roll of the dice. That's silly.

If your not obese or over 65 dont worry about it. You can catch it and not even know you had it. How deadly is that?

Reactions: Cypruss

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
3.39M in a population of 8.5billion people worldwide people isn't that much. The way people talk about this thing is like it's the apocalypse. It's not.

It's more than pretty much any infectious disease in the last 100 years.

look, there's a desk in my very own house with papers, pile is quite big... on each and everyone of those papers there's the name and (CHSLD) adress of old people, old people who did get their 1st dose but NOT their 2nd dose.

The goal (I heard the zoom meeting) is for those people to all get their 2nd dose within the next 3 weeks. So far they do not have enough staff to achieve this.

Health Minister Dube said last week that ALL residents who received their first dose also received their 2nd dose. It is a lie.

(before I go back to acting like you don't exist, just know that nothing I typed in this post is an opinion, it is 100% facts)

That's cool and all, but the goal by June 24 is 1st doses. Are you saying the government is faking the 1st doses number?

I don't really care what Dube said about 2nd doses, it's not relevant to the June 24 deadline.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
With the way the variants are going, I do judge those who won't get vaccinated because frankly it's pretty dumb. But I don't care anymore. You want to get COVID and f*** up your lungs, go ahead.
Again I refuse to judge folks either way. I did my part for myself by getting the vaccine. If I am vaccinated then those who are not vaccinated don't affect me as I am vaccinated.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Again I refuse to judge folks either way. I did my part for myself by getting the vaccine. If I am vaccinated then those who are not vaccinated don't affect me as I am vaccinated.

I judge people for making stupid decisions all the time, not just about this. I'm pretty sure you do too.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Yes and no. Unvaccinated people augment the probability of outbreaks in your community and provide the virus with a greater opportunity to be in contact with vaccinated individual. Greater contact with vaccinated people augment the chances of vaccine breakthrough variants appearing.

If enough people are vaccinated, chances of all this happening get pretty low, but the more people vaccinated, the lower the chances.

Reactions: Tyson

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Pretty sure they are hoping they can stop wearing masks and social distancing.
That's a government decision based on the 100% arbitrary assumption that we need 75% of people vaccinated to ease up measures. That has nothing to do with hoping to use mass immunity cause by the vaccine lol.

Last year we had no masks and no vaccine and at this time we were deconfining... summer went pretty great.

Some people just don't want the vaccine, period. Most of them don't care wether you take it or not.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I judge people for making stupid decisions all the time, not just about this. I'm pretty sure you do too.
I have 5 employees who refuse to get and I am OK with it.
Some decisions are very personal and this is one of those.
My wife refuses to get it....I hope she comes around....not my call.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Unfortunately, those who don't take it will impact everyone. The virus is given more chance to mutate, it takes longer to get things under control, medical resources will continue to be strained...

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
The mindset in the states is Get the shot if you want or don't get it...I made a decision to get one but I know many people who refuse to get it.
I can't judge those who don't.

99.9+ % survival rate....alot of folks think those are good odds

It's 95% survival rate without life-changing injuries, 99% vs. death.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
That's a government decision based on the 100% arbitrary assumption that we need 75% of people vaccinated to ease up measures. That has nothing to do with hoping to use mass immunity cause by the vaccine lol.

Last year we had no masks and no vaccine and at this time we were deconfining... summer went pretty great.

Some people just don't want the vaccine, period. Most of them don't care wether you take it or not.

Yeah I don't buy that. Those who are refusing are certainly banking on everyone else protecting them.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I have 5 employees who refuse to get and I am OK with it.
Some decisions are very personal and this is one of those.
My wife refuses to get it....I hope she comes around....not my call.

I have a kid so, my wife refusing would be grounds for divorce.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Unfortunately, those who don't take it will impact everyone. The virus is given more chance to mutate, it takes longer to get things under control, medical resources will continue to be strained...
It appears every arena in the NHL has screaming fans in them except in Canada. 50,000 fans opening for the Texas Rangers game and cases in Texas are down. I think it's time to start taking the training wheels off.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It appears every arena in the NHL has screaming fans in them except in Canada. 50,000 fans opening for the Texas Rangers game and cases in Texas are down. I think it's time to start taking the training wheels off.
The US are far ahead of us in vaccinations.

And they're probably opening up too early as well. The fact that they're open doesn't make it a good decision any more than it was a good decision for them to be "open for business" last year. We took a more conservative approach and it paid off in spades. No reason not to do this now, esp since the rollout has been slow.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Again, what was rushed? I have yet to see someone being able to point out something that would affect the validity of the trials.

What was made those trials faster:
- Phases were overlapped to save time at the risk of losing money if the vaccine fail.
- Rolling review was done so the health agency could see the results as they become available to save time.
- Review was prioritized over less important trials.
- Participants recruitment was greatly accelerated. due to public willingness.
- Statistical power was achieved faster due to disease prevalence.

There have been over 1 billion people who got vaccinated worldwide and it is very easy to see that the vaccines works very well and are safe.

Of course it killed preferentially the elderly, obese and vulnerable, like any other infectious disease ever. I'm surprised that as a RN in a Covid19 ward you have a hard time grasping that.

There have been people of all ages dying of this and many more developed post-infection complications.
I dont even know where to start with you.

Your whole post is nonsense. tell me what the difference is between me saying it was rushed and you using the word "faster". LOL.
You ever wonder why it's not FDA approved and why companies agreed to do it with being exempt from liability?
The vaccine is a success when you take into account the problems with it vs. the reduction in deaths from the vulnerable population. No doubt about it.

But your comment like any other infectious disease ever ?
You are aware I'm sure the last world wide pandemic the Spanish flu that young people actually were the most vulnerable demographic? I'm surprised that as a HF poster you have a hard time grasping the nuances of any infectious disease.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The US are far ahead of us in vaccinations.

And they're probably opening up too early as well.
Who is to say who is opening up to early or not quick enough...thats purely an opinion.
I admire my Canadian friends but the world I live in right or wrong sees things much differently and I am ok with 100% capacity without masks in restaurants. I went to 4 establishments today and no one had a mask on. Maybe it will backfire and have a bad impact on me and my community in the end but the alternative of living under a curfew is not an option for us down here.
Everything is open and cases are down....

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Who is to say who is opening up to early or not quick enough...thats purely an opinion.
I admire my Canadian friends but the world I live in right or wrong sees things much differently and I am ok with 100% capacity without masks in restaurants. I went to 4 establishments today and no one had a mask on. Maybe it will backfire and have a bad impact on me and my community in the end but the alternative of living under a curfew is not an option for us down here.
Everything is open and cases are down....
Mental health, addictions, suicides, lost careers, lost businesses. Everything must be taken into account.
AND lock downs had a negligible effect if any and you still had all of the above.
not worth it.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Long term effects? the study you just linked to had 5 KIDS.
The five children with potential long COVID had a median age of 12 years (range 9-15) and four were girls

Lets vaccinate all children with a vaccine that is under emergency authorization for an illness that largely only affects the obese and those over 65.

How smart!!

that inflammatory sydrome you refer to I believe is also called Kawasaki , it's been around for a long time and it's still relatively rare and you can get it with various exposures.

But keep putting stuff out on the internet with little context.

Why dont you publish death rates for regular flu for children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad